• 1 Post By katrina

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 02:04 AM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 4,080 Times in 1,190 Posts
Shannara is on a distinguished road
New orchids came and one looks nasty.

I need my geeks again. Today was a pretty rotten day and it wasn't made much better when my new orchids arrived. All was well until they freeby plant included by the grower came out of the box. It has brown/black areas on several leaves and was oozing brown liquid inside of its wrapping.

Needless to say I am very concerned. I emailed the vendor (whose name I am not going to mention due to the circumstances though some of you will guess who it is) and when they finally emailed me back I wasn't sure I agree with what was said in the response. Before I post what they wrote to me I want your input of what you think is going on with this plant.

I understand this is a freeby but my biggest concern is if this is contagious to the other plants in the box. What would you do in this situation?

Photos below (Photobucket is finally working again!)

Shann~

>>
My 2012 Grow Area<<
The Following User Says Thank You to Shannara For This Useful Post:
PaulB (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 02:24 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 2,835 Times in 1,280 Posts
Anton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of light
FIRST AND FOREMOST QUARANTINE IT from all other orchids, and keep the others that were in the package separate too.

It looks like a virus to me judging by the pattern under the leaf. Have you had a close look to make sure it isn't infested with tiny spider mite or other mites that have enabled a virus / fungus to attack the leaf ?

A whole lot of thoughts going through my mind at present. Hope you can sort it out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Anton For This Useful Post:
Shannara (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 02:24 AM

SK7 is on a distinguished road
I'd be very concerned too. If you cut off the black leaves would there be any plant left? You could then treat it with hydrogen peroxide.
Shannara (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 02:31 AM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton View Post
FIRST AND FOREMOST QUARANTINE IT from all other orchids, and keep the others that were in the package separate too.

It looks like a virus to me judging by the pattern under the leaf. Have you had a close look to make sure it isn't infested with tiny spider mite or other mites that have enabled a virus / fungus to attack the leaf ?

A whole lot of thoughts going through my mind at present. Hope you can sort it out.
It is definitely isolated. The other plants haven't even been potted up yet either.

Which leaf patterns are you suggesting look like a virus? I am not familiar with a virus that causes brown stuff to leak out of the leaves. Is there are particular virus you are thinking of? I considered a lot of different problems it could be but I didn't consider a virus with these symptoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK7 View Post
I'd be very concerned too. If you cut off the black leaves would there be any plant left? You could then treat it with hydrogen peroxide.
Not much left...it is a freeby and I have no problems trashing it. I just want to understand what is going on first so I can decide on what to do with the ones I did purchase.

I appreciate both of your thoughts on the situation.

Shann~

>>
My 2012 Grow Area<<
Old 07-19-2012, 02:33 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 4,422 Times in 3,810 Posts
orchids4me is on a distinguished road
I'm with Anton seperate them and the sick one in another area.
I say test it also after checking for pests etc. It almst looks like a burn gone bacterial infection also...
Take the precaustions, I sorry Shann... I don't know what that vendor was thinking including that in the box, wonder if he has a disgruntal employee making waves....

Daisy 2003 -2013
Life is too short.... Buy more orchids!!!!

Emmaye
The Following User Says Thank You to orchids4me For This Useful Post:
Shannara (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 02:44 AM

bearded orchid is on a distinguished road
Looks dreadful. So sorry Shann
I believe Anton is referring to photos three and four, the circular patterns.
I'm leaning towards a bacterial pathogen based on the gooey discharge mentioned.

I hope the others fair better and this one improves.
Shannara (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 04:54 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,236 Posts
1joyceh is on a distinguished road
So sorry that happened
Hope whatever it is, did not contaminate the other plants....
I just received an order from a place I ordered from previously, and both plants were horrible....
At least you got a response from the nursery...I have emailed 3 times, and still have gotten no reply
The Following User Says Thank You to 1joyceh For This Useful Post:
Shannara (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 05:01 AM
V.I.P Member

Anton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of light
Phil got it right.

To me it looks similar to Orchid Fleck Virus which is invading collections here in Australia.

I am probably wrong, but the patterns on the underside of those leaves in the last 3 images are very indicative of what it looks like.

Some people in my club have had their collections decimated, hence my insistence on quarantining that plant. Also follow personal hygiene by washing your hands thoroughly after touching that plant as you would after visiting an infectious patient.

I know I MIGHT BE A BIT ALARMIST HERE, but better to treat it as worst case scenario and if it a lesser condition, you have lost nothing by following proper hand hygiene.

Keep us in the loop.
Shannara (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 05:09 AM
Super Moderator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,656 Times in 2,212 Posts
sunshine is on a distinguished road
I am gonna guess this is some type of Lc. Looks like it could be black rot. I had one of my catts have this. Cut away the infected area, sprinkle cut w/cinnamon and sprayed with Pysan 20 and also repotted from a plastic pot to a clay pot. This is why I get nervous about ordering orchids online. I just hope it hasn't infected your other orchids you ordered.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000209739937
The Following User Says Thank You to sunshine For This Useful Post:
Shannara (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 05:29 AM
V.I.P Member

It's not so much the black bits that worry me, but the patterns under the leaves, the black bits by themselves which are probably rot related can be dealt with easily.
Shannara (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 05:52 AM
V.I.P Member

Catt Mandu is on a distinguished road
I think the vendor owes you a complete refund for all plants in the box, plus shipping.
I would have "outed" the vendor right away for something like this! They could have infected an entire collection.

Sorry it happened to you.
snazzyboots, cairo and LovePhals like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Catt Mandu For This Useful Post:
Shannara (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 08:44 AM
Executive Senior Member

hera is on a distinguished road
Holy Pete! That's horrible for new plants straight out of the box. I'd be demanding refunds or replacements.
Shannara (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 09:32 AM

vanessa is on a distinguished road
Oh my gosh! I have never seen that before. It is scary looking and scares me for your other orchids. I am glad you are keeping this plant and the others separate from your precious collection.

I too believe they should give you a refund on all the orchids plus shipping! I am so sorry this happened. I feel bad for you.

Vanessa
The Following User Says Thank You to vanessa For This Useful Post:
Shannara (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 10:28 AM
Executive Senior Member

PaulB is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't be sending an e-mail. Too casual. I'd be calling him!
You should have a complete replacement or money back, without question.

Looking forward to seeing their response to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulB For This Useful Post:
Shannara (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 11:17 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,111 Times in 1,016 Posts
Leafmite is on a distinguished road
I agree with Anton. It looks like a virus and a secondary infection. I would swab the other two with isopropyl alcohol to disinfect them (perhaps the virus hasn't yet made entrance, especially if it was wrapped seperately/wasn't touching) and keep them isolated from the sick orchid and the rest of your collection. In a few months, send off a sample for each to get them tested for virus. The obviousely sick orchid should be tested so you know for absolutely certain what/if concerning virus. Have the leaves with the circles tested, then remove the rotted areas and spray well with isopropyl alcohol twice a day (not the roots) for a few days. If it isn't virus, the orchid will recover and thrive. If it is a virus, it will probably continue to struggle. Good luck! Call the vendor and ask them where to send pictures. Be calm, nice, but don't back down.
The Following User Says Thank You to Leafmite For This Useful Post:
Shannara (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 11:21 AM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB View Post

Definitely money back; I would not want new plants from a vendor that sent me this!
Shannara (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 11:28 AM
Executive Senior Member

Reg22 is on a distinguished road
Heck no! Call them up and demand all of your money back! Did you email them pictures of the nasty?
Who are these clowns??
The Following User Says Thank You to Reg22 For This Useful Post:
Shannara (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 11:42 AM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Phil got it right.

To me it looks similar to Orchid Fleck Virus which is invading collections here in Australia.

I am probably wrong, but the patterns on the underside of those leaves in the last 3 images are very indicative of what it looks like.

Some people in my club have had their collections decimated, hence my insistence on quarantining that plant. Also follow personal hygiene by washing your hands thoroughly after touching that plant as you would after visiting an infectious patient.

I know I MIGHT BE A BIT ALARMIST HERE, but better to treat it as worst case scenario and if it a lesser condition, you have lost nothing by following proper hand hygiene.

Keep us in the loop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafmite View Post
I agree with Anton. It looks like a virus and a secondary infection. I would swab the other two with isopropyl alcohol to disinfect them (perhaps the virus hasn't yet made entrance, especially if it was wrapped seperately/wasn't touching) and keep them isolated from the sick orchid and the rest of your collection. In a few months, send off a sample for each to get them tested for virus. The obviousely sick orchid should be tested so you know for absolutely certain what/if concerning virus. Have the leaves with the circles tested, then remove the rotted areas and spray well with isopropyl alcohol twice a day (not the roots) for a few days. If it isn't virus, the orchid will recover and thrive. If it is a virus, it will probably continue to struggle. Good luck! Call the vendor and ask them where to send pictures. Be calm, nice, but don't back down.
Ahhh okay. Yeah that black pattern under the leaves is the leaf turning mushy and black. The top of the leaf is completely black and the bottom is slowly turning to mush. Kinda like if you had water puddling on the second floor of your house the roof on the first floor would start to stain before the water came through.

I know you were being an alarmist but I was very alarmed myself when I pulled this guy from the box.

And Leafmite I have home tests for two viruses but considering there are 8 plants I really can't afford to ship each off for testing. Not sure about it being a virus though as the only leaves with those patterns are leaves turning black from the top down...the backs of the leaves with the patterns are turning completely black as the insides go mushy. What would be cheaper would be to have this plant sent out for a virus test...if it's negative then it won't be spreading anything...not sure where to send it though that tests for more than just a couple of the most common viruses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearded orchid View Post
Looks dreadful. So sorry Shann
I believe Anton is referring to photos three and four, the circular patterns.
I'm leaning towards a bacterial pathogen based on the gooey discharge mentioned.

I hope the others fair better and this one improves.
I was thinking it might be bacterial but am curious if bacterial rot has a smell whereas black rot would not? I was thinking maybe of cutting it and smelling it...kinda weird but maybe it would help me figure this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1joyceh View Post
So sorry that happened
Hope whatever it is, did not contaminate the other plants....
I just received an order from a place I ordered from previously, and both plants were horrible....
At least you got a response from the nursery...I have emailed 3 times, and still have gotten no reply
Geez...that is terrible. I had ordered from this place many times, as do other members on this board, so my expectations were as they always have been. Never had a problem for years with this company but even though I received a response I was not pleased with it and am posting it below.

Quote:
It's not so much the black bits that worry me, but the patterns under the leaves, the black bits by themselves which are probably rot related can be dealt with easily.
Rot or bacteria...stuff like this always leaves me scratching my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt Mandu View Post
I think the vendor owes you a complete refund for all plants in the box, plus shipping.
I would have "outed" the vendor right away for something like this! They could have infected an entire collection.

Sorry it happened to you.
The only reason I am not mentioning the vendor name is the geek website does not want to be held liable for anything negative we say but I can PM it to you. It is really unfortunate as I have been a customer of theirs for years. I am debating on what is a fair response to what they have said in their email which will be posted below all the comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hera View Post
Holy Pete! That's horrible for new plants straight out of the box. I'd be demanding refunds or replacements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanessa View Post
Oh my gosh! I have never seen that before. It is scary looking and scares me for your other orchids. I am glad you are keeping this plant and the others separate from your precious collection.

I too believe they should give you a refund on all the orchids plus shipping! I am so sorry this happened. I feel bad for you.

Vanessa
At least I am not feeling like my outrage was just me overreacting. I appreciate all of you giving me advice on this situation. I hate that this happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine View Post
I am gonna guess this is some type of Lc. Looks like it could be black rot. I had one of my catts have this. Cut away the infected area, sprinkle cut w/cinnamon and sprayed with Pysan 20 and also repotted from a plastic pot to a clay pot. This is why I get nervous about ordering orchids online. I just hope it hasn't infected your other orchids you ordered.
It's a C. lueddemanniana and I am very nervous about what this could have spread too. Considering it was free I may just pitch it completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchids4me View Post
I'm with Anton seperate them and the sick one in another area.
I say test it also after checking for pests etc. It almst looks like a burn gone bacterial infection also...
Take the precaustions, I sorry Shann... I don't know what that vendor was thinking including that in the box, wonder if he has a disgruntal employee making waves....
I have it seperated from everyone and the others won't be joining my collection anytime soon either. What a pain in the you know what this had turned out to be! I am very VERY curious how this plant looked when it was packed. Could there really have been no outward sign when it was boxed up?
Could this have spread in the box like this in just two days...argh. I have a feeling I will never know.

Quote:
Definitely money back; I would not want new plants from a vendor that sent me this!
No I do not want new plants either...what a mess this is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg22 View Post
Heck no! Call them up and demand all of your money back! Did you email them pictures of the nasty?
Who are these clowns??
Yes I did email them the pics...the response form them is below. I can PM you the vendor name shortly.

Quote:

Okay here is what the vendor said, I will post my comments below it. I sent them an email with all of the photos from above telling them I was very concerned as to what this was and if they could ID it. Also to check the other plants in their greenhouse where this came from.

Vendor Email:

"I would tear off the affected leaves and pour hydrogen peroxide on the affected plant. None of the plants in or nursery show any symptoms so this was probably caused by excessive heat.

Hope this will help
"

I have a number of issues with this response. Firstly the whole tear it off comment...and then the hydrogen peroxide. If this is just from excessive heat why does it need peroxide? And why aren't the other plants in the box the same way? There also is no apology or reassuring response as to what they will do if my other plants do start showing symtoms.

As I said before this plant was a freeby but their response has left me feeling like they are not sorry or embarrassed this happened. I know I would be very embarrassed if I sent a plant to someone and it showed up like this.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment.

Shann~

>>
My 2012 Grow Area<<

Last edited by Shannara; 07-19-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:54 AM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannara View Post

--snip--

I have a number of issues with this response. Firstly the whole tear it off comment...and then the hydrogen peroxide. If this is just from excessive heat why does it need peroxide? And why aren't the other plants in the box the same way? There also is no apology or reassuring response as to what they will do if my other plants do start showing symtoms.

As I said before this plant was a freeby but their response has left me feeling like they are not sorry or embarrassed this happened. I know I would be very embarrassed if I sent a plant to someone and it showed up like this.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment.

Shann~
Yeah, to paraphrase Samuel L. Jackson, it is time to strike down with great vengeance and furious anger. As Paul said, it is time to call them, and tell them what they WILL do for you.

And if the come back at you with any lip, they had better be wearing a cup.
snazzyboots likes this.
Shannara (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 12:12 PM

gnathaniel is on a distinguished road
It looks like heat damage to me, when I damage plants with heat or cold I usually see opportunistic fungal and bacterial infections take hold in the dead tissue. Definitely quarantine and treat it as if you know it to be infected with something that will spread. I would also continue following up with the nursery, while it may not be entirely their fault it's not yours either and they should be expected to help you achieve a good outcome.
vanessa likes this.
Shannara (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 01:08 PM
Executive Senior Member

PaulB is on a distinguished road
I think their response is totally inadequate. Its probably someone who doesn't have a vested interest in their business, or one who could care less.

You are a long time customer and you've had success before, so why is it YOUR problem to deal with something THEY should be concerned with? If it was heat damaged, why didn't THEY pack it to avoid possible heat damage? It doesn't matter at all that this was a "freebie". It's their freebie and they should be responsible for everything in the box. I don't know if it was a "buy four, get one free" or whatever type deal, but you should be totally satisfied with your purchase and there is no excuse for anything else.

This is like going into your favorite restaurant, getting a burned steak, and them telling you to "Just cut off the bad part and put some steak sauce on it to cover up the charcoal taste".

If you're talking to a bimbo, then write the owner of the company a goodbye letter. You might wake someone up.

my 2

Last edited by PaulB; 07-19-2012 at 01:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulB For This Useful Post:
Shannara (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 01:12 PM

snazzyboots is on a distinguished road
wow. that is terrible. i wouldn't be satisfied with that response either. hopefully you will get a refund. i would love to know the name of the vendor as i order online quite a bit. if you have a chance would you mind pm'ing me with it. good luck
PaulB likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to snazzyboots For This Useful Post:
Shannara (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 01:31 PM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Yeah, to paraphrase Samuel L. Jackson, it is time to strike down with great vengeance and furious anger. As Paul said, it is time to call them, and tell them what they WILL do for you.

And if the come back at you with any lip, they had better be wearing a cup.
I thought when you said Samuel L. Jackson I was going to get a quote from Snakes on a Plane . I will let you know what I end up doing. I am debating how I want to handle this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnathaniel View Post
It looks like heat damage to me, when I damage plants with heat or cold I usually see opportunistic fungal and bacterial infections take hold in the dead tissue. Definitely quarantine and treat it as if you know it to be infected with something that will spread. I would also continue following up with the nursery, while it may not be entirely their fault it's not yours either and they should be expected to help you achieve a good outcome.
Yeah, they said heat damage in their response. Why would one plant have damage though when the other 6 around it of the same size wouldn't? Dealing with this was the last thing I wanted to do today. I hate unexpected messes like this.

Quote:
I think their response is totally inadequate. Its probably someone who doesn't have a vested interest in their business, or one who could care less.

You are a long time customer and you've had success before, so why is it YOUR problem to deal with something THEY should be concerned with? If it was heat damaged, why didn't THEY pack it to avoid possible heat damage? It doesn't matter at all that this was a "freebie". It's their freebie and they should be responsible for everything in the box. I don't know if it was a "buy four, get one free" or whatever type deal, but you should be totally satisfied with your purchase and there is no excuse for anything else.

This is like going into your favorite restaurant, getting a burned steak, and them telling you to "Just cut off the bad part and put some steak sauce on it to cover up the charcoal taste".

If you're talking to a bimbo, then write the owner of the company a goodbye letter. You might wake someone up.

my 2
Well...the email address, and signature in the response, are from the owner. The thing is this is a really well known grower who is featured in articles with the AOS. I am truly surprised by this experience. Normally this grower provides a free plant with every purchase...it's just their way of saying thank you to their customers. Unfortunately this only created a problem.

What I hate more than anything is losing this person as a vendor. The main reason for the purchase was a very elusive Catt they had for sale that according to other sources may be extinct in its habitat soon. These are one of my goto vendors for Catt species and Encyclias so I feel really bummed.

I am going to eat lunch and think over how I want to respond to this email that they sent to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snazzyboots View Post
wow. that is terrible. i wouldn't be satisfied with that response either. hopefully you will get a refund. i would love to know the name of the vendor as i order online quite a bit. if you have a chance would you mind pm'ing me with it. good luck
I will PM you their info in a bit.

Thanks guys,
Shann~

>>
My 2012 Grow Area<<
Old 07-19-2012, 03:09 PM
Executive Senior Member

Thanked 1,321 Times in 686 Posts
otis 226 is on a distinguished road
Not acceptable at all, Shann. The seller needs to be responsible for this. I can't understand how someone with even a marginal reputation could ship something like that. I KNOW that did not happen in the time it took that package to arrive, even if it came from a distance. You know of my deal with the plant I received last year that succumbed to some kind of rot in about 18 days. I got another, better plant from the vendor, who you know well, for just the price of re-shipping. Yesterday sucked for many of us!
Good luck with this,
Tony
Catt Mandu likes this.
Shannara (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 03:45 PM
Executive Senior Member

Vian is on a distinguished road
I would email them again and explain that it's not the freebee plant you are worried about, but that the freebee may have spread some kind of disease to the other plants you paid for. I would demand that THEY pay for virus/disease testing on the affected plant.

I'd also express how upset you are by their response and that it shows no remorse or embarassment about the sick plant, and make sure they know that you expect them to make the situation right or they have lost a customer, probably several more depending on how many people around here know which grower it is.
PaulB likes this.
Shannara (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 04:16 PM

Smurfette is on a distinguished road
Angry

Give them both barrels and don't take no for an answer. Selling goods which are not fit for sale is not on at the best of times but with the added fact that you have used them before on several occasions is just inexcusable - especially if they are being evasive about putting it right!!! Terrible customer service - they deserve everything they get!!! They could easily cause problems for collections everywhere, destroying hard work for many people, not to mention the upset of it all!!!
PaulB and Catt Mandu like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Smurfette For This Useful Post:
Shannara (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 04:40 PM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,389 Times in 3,096 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by otis 226 View Post
I KNOW that did not happen in the time it took that package to arrive, even if it came from a distance.

I have to disagree. I had a plant do this very thing soon after I moved all the plants outside this Spring. Well, it looks the same and even now I'm not sure what caused it but I suspect possible heat stress. ??

The plant was perfectly fine and healthy and then 2 days after I carried every plant outside 1 of the catts did what I'm seeing in your pics. More than 1/2 of the plant developed black areas on the leaves and let me tell you...the change happened FAST. I separated it from the rest immediately because I thought some sort of rot was the culprit but I knew I wouldn't be able to get to it for another day or two to check the roots. When I got it un-potted I was surprised to see that the roots were amazing. WHAT?! Not rot? I was scratching my head over that one...no clue what caused the problem. Well, since it clearly wasn't any type of rot, I decided to cut the back half of the plant off (the main area w/the bad leaves) and I potted up the front half in a new pot and then hoped for the best. This plant is doing fine now...no spread and it's in the process of making a clean new growth.

It still is a mystery but the only thing I can attribute it to would be heat stress because the temps soared into the 90's the day after I brought everything outside. WHy that one plant and no others? I have no clue but these are living things and there could possibly be a whole host of reasons for it...I suppose. Living things don't always do what we think they should be doing.

So, anyway, please don't be so quick to think your vendor knowingly sent you a bad plant. If you purchased from him/her before and never had a problem then chances are this is just one of those freak situations. Yes, I most likely would've been disappointed in his/her response to the situation but I don't know that it would chase me off permanently...especially if I had never had any trouble before. Just like when we order plants in the dead of Winter...when we order during the hottest part of the Summer...we...as buyers...need to take a little of the responsibility if there is damage due to excessive heat (and that very well could be the problem here)....we know the weather in our area better than the person sending the package.

We are dealing w/living things when we buy plants and some times things just go wrong. It's a bummer but it is what it is.
plantloverlisa and gnathaniel like this.
Shannara (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 05:11 PM
V.I.P Member

If it were me that placed the order (granted, it isn't), my main issue would be the unacceptable customer service.

Katrina, you make a valid point that it STILL could be heat stress. I think few vendors would KNOWINGLY send a diseased plant; it is quite possible to send one unknowingly.

That still does not excuse the cavalier response from the vendor. The plant DOES show possible signs of disease, some photos suggest it could be a serious one. If I were the VENDOR, I would be trying to find out what my customer would find acceptable to make it right. That goes for any customer, but especially a long-time customer.

I'm sure this is not the vendor's first rodeo in terms of shipping plants during the summer. The vendor should know when he can send, when he can't, and inform the customer of the need for postponing shipping, or informing the customer of shipping risks and allowing them to make an informed choice, or taking additional precautions at an additional cost with the customer's consent. That could include overnight shipment with morning delivery the following day, shipment in an insulated container, etc.
otis 226, PaulB and snazzyboots like this.
Shannara (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 07:35 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 3,231 Times in 1,555 Posts
BGGraham1 is on a distinguished road
Just chiming in re: the customer service...

I pl.aced an order from a vendor that doesn't have the best of reputations, but they were having a killer sale and they had a couple of plants that I've wanted but had not been able to find elsewhere. Two of the plants had loose leaves in the packaging, and succumbed very quickly after I got them (within a week.) I sent several emails before I received a reply. (They claimed my emails went somewhere else on their computer )

Anyhow, they agreed to send me two new plants, along with some (slightly unnecessary) advice on how to care for them properly. I guess they were trying to insinuate that it was grower error that killed the plants rather than poor plants to start with.)

Either way, it took a while before I got satisfaction, and it was only after I threatened to out them to members of my orchid forum and my OS that they responded.

HTH
plantloverlisa likes this.

http://brigittesorchids.blogspot.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to BGGraham1 For This Useful Post:
Shannara (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 08:23 PM

gnathaniel is on a distinguished road
Heat stress in orchids is a funny thing, I've had sibling plants sitting next to each other with near-identical culture and one gets bad leaf burns while others are fine. Plants cool themselves by transpiration through stomata so there are a lot of variables at play, including genetics/physiology, airflow and humidity, light intensity/color/direction interacting with leaf pigment, root health, moisture in the medium, salt (nutrient) balance in the plant, etc...

It's certainly possible that one plant in a shipment might be more heat-sensitive than others, and if the box was left in the sun or in a hot part of the mail truck that could cause a very local temperature spike.
katrina (07-20-2012), Shannara (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 09:29 PM
Executive Senior Member

Thanked 1,321 Times in 686 Posts
otis 226 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by katrina View Post

It still is a mystery but the only thing I can attribute it to would be heat stress because the temps soared into the 90's the day after I brought everything outside. WHy that one plant and no others? I have no clue but these are living things and there could possibly be a whole host of reasons for it...I suppose. Living things don't always do what we think they should be doing.

So, anyway, please don't be so quick to think your vendor knowingly sent you a bad plant. If you purchased from him/her before and never had a problem then chances are this is just one of those freak situations. Yes, I most likely would've been disappointed in his/her response to the situation but I don't know that it would chase me off permanently...especially if I had never had any trouble before. Just like when we order plants in the dead of Winter...when we order during the hottest part of the Summer...we...as buyers...need to take a little of the responsibility if there is damage due to excessive heat (and that very well could be the problem here)....we know the weather in our area better than the person sending the package.

We are dealing w/living things when we buy plants and some times things just go wrong. It's a bummer but it is what it is.
Kat, I've got to respectfully disagree with your conclusion that your plant suffered heat stress. If it was half a dozen or more than just that one maybe so, Or if it was a masdie, or some other cloud forest plant, maybe. You mentioned it was a Catt, I believe. I know for sure how quickly things can go south, but in the amount of time that plant was in a shipping container that did not get lost. I find that highly unlikely. Maybe bacterial, possibly fungal, who knows, but I can't believe that plant didn't show some sign of a problem when it was packed.
Guess we'll just have to disagree on this one.
Tony
PaulB likes this.

Last edited by otis 226; 07-19-2012 at 09:33 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to otis 226 For This Useful Post:
Shannara (07-20-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 10:20 PM
V.I.P Member

Just tell them you are voicing your concerns on an international orchid forum.

We all know your capabilities and not impressed with their responses.
PaulB likes this.
Shannara (07-20-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 11:20 PM

cairo is on a distinguished road
I am concerned that an orchid vendor, with a reputation to uphold, would be so flippant in their reply to you. You should be overjoyed with your order, instead the vendor appears to be making this your fault and jump through hoops to save the plants.

If this were my order, I would demand a prompt and courteous full refund. Else, the internet and social media has an interesting way of making things very uncomfortable (and unprofitable) for the vendor.

To protect my own collection, I would like to know who this vendor is, so I can steer clear of them.

I hope you get a satisfactory response and the vendor quickly sees the error of their ways.

~ Cairo
The Following User Says Thank You to cairo For This Useful Post:
Shannara (07-20-2012)
Old 07-20-2012, 09:17 AM

newbud is on a distinguished road
Has anyone thought of nuclear waste exposure. :-)
Shannara (07-20-2012)
Old 07-20-2012, 10:29 AM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by otis 226 View Post
Kat, I've got to respectfully disagree with your conclusion that your plant suffered heat stress. If it was half a dozen or more than just that one maybe so, Or if it was a masdie, or some other cloud forest plant, maybe. You mentioned it was a Catt, I believe. I know for sure how quickly things can go south, but in the amount of time that plant was in a shipping container that did not get lost. I find that highly unlikely. Maybe bacterial, possibly fungal, who knows, but I can't believe that plant didn't show some sign of a problem when it was packed.
Guess we'll just have to disagree on this one.
Tony
Well...I can only go by what I physically saw in my own collection. One day fine...not just fine but perfectly healthy. 2 days later...I'm putting the thing in quarantine. FAST! And yes, it was a Catt. The only reasonable explanation...albeit strange explanation...was ill effects of a plant overheating too quickly. The same plant is fine today...not at large and lovely as it was but fine and bouncing back.

These plants have not only taught me to have more patience...they have also taught me to expect the unexpected...when I least expect it.

Yep...looks like we'll just have to agree...to disagree.
otis 226 likes this.
Shannara (07-20-2012)
Old 07-20-2012, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnathaniel View Post
Heat stress in orchids is a funny thing, I've had sibling plants sitting next to each other with near-identical culture and one gets bad leaf burns while others are fine. Plants cool themselves by transpiration through stomata so there are a lot of variables at play, including genetics/physiology, airflow and humidity, light intensity/color/direction interacting with leaf pigment, root health, moisture in the medium, salt (nutrient) balance in the plant, etc...

It's certainly possible that one plant in a shipment might be more heat-sensitive than others, and if the box was left in the sun or in a hot part of the mail truck that could cause a very local temperature spike.
Well said!
Shannara (07-20-2012)
Old 07-20-2012, 12:00 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,111 Times in 1,016 Posts
Leafmite is on a distinguished road
Yes, brown rot and black rot can move very quickly. I have dealt with both in the past eighteen months. It is possible it had a small, unalarming spot when packaged that progressed during shipping (and infect the other plants...that is why disinfecting them makes sense). What is interesting, though, is the entire leaf, not just the rotted parts. I have seen leaves (minus the rot) that have similar markings (and not just the circular ones) in countless pictures of virus. Yes, I am likely wrong, but I think caution should be taken concerning the orchid. These markings can be caused by many things but when you see this, caution is warranted.
With all the agriculture in Florida, there is likely a place where citrus groves send samples to be tested for virus with an electron microscope. Or call a lab known for orchid testing and see if they test for other viruses. Universities will sometimes permit you to send samples (ones that teach bio, botany, immunology, and related fields) but you need to ask. Ohio State does research into plant viruses.
Yes, I would call the vendor, explain laughingly that you have heard horror stories, and ask if you should be concerned about any of your other beloved plants. If you are polite, calm, stick to facts, and genuinely concerned (and remind them that you have never before had a problem and have always been pleased with their plants--a little humor doesn't hurt, either), most good vendors will bend over backwards to solve the problem. A call is often a good way to connect with a vendor you really like and wish to continue using (and tell them how much you love their selection and that you wish to keep working with them!!!!).
Also, you can google the vendor reviews and there is a site out there where people share all their experiences with plant/gardening vendors, good and bad, and check to see if anyone has complained about virused plants. You'd be surprised. Some vendors have no complaints concerning viruses while it seems to pop up in complaints for many others.
Good luck! We are all hoping the best for you!
The Following User Says Thank You to Leafmite For This Useful Post:
Shannara (07-20-2012)