Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2011, 11:06 AM

Amblnc38 is on a distinguished road
Need help with my Brassia & Onc

So, today, I notice a brown mushy spot on my Brassia, as well as some of the mite things that have invaded my Onc. Also, I have what resembles fruit flies around them?

I've cut back the beautiful flowers on my Onc. The Brassia isn't in bloom. I see honeydew. How do I treat this? I've treated both plants with Draconil in the last week. For bacteria and fungus...

Both are potted in Miracle Grow Orchid mix...and I have the sneaking suspcion that is where the flies have come from!
Attached Thumbnails
img_20110524_105912.jpg   img_20110524_105927.jpg  
Old 05-24-2011, 03:56 PM

I bought some insecticidal soap and sprayed the crap out of the Onc. I also managed to procure some cheap lava rocks, so more than likely I will simply repot my Brassia and treat her then.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 4,422 Times in 3,810 Posts
orchids4me is on a distinguished road
Fungus gnats are little black gnats those are around for breaking down plant matter and media. I would repot in a fine bark, perlite and charcoal mix. The Ocidium alliance do love water but to wet still causes rot. Do you have a pic of the pseudo bulb you mentioned? I can't focus my zoom enough on my cell to see what those bugs are under that leaf hopefully another member will identify them unless you can get a closer clear shot of them.
Geed to try the insecticidal soap if that doesn't work get the big guns out. Use bayer 3 in 1 safe for roses will be good. If your having a bacterial or fungal problem Physan 20 works well for this. But pics of the infected area will be helpful. And check your roots. The reason I stated fine bark is because this alliance like moisture but again to wet and not enough slightly drying air flow and kept to cold all adds up to problems.
So how often do you water? What are your day night temps? Air flow? Humidity?
And the bug bites can cause bacterial problems as well. So if you can again re post pics of bugs closer shot and of the Pseudo bulb in question. I didn't see a pic of that.

Daisy 2003 -2013
Life is too short.... Buy more orchids!!!!

Emmaye
The Following User Says Thank You to orchids4me For This Useful Post:
Amblnc38 (05-25-2011)
Old 05-25-2011, 10:21 PM

I'm waiting to see if they reappear. I haven't seen any today. They were tiny and white. Looked a lot like mites.
The Following User Says Thank You to Amblnc38 For This Useful Post:
orchids4me (05-26-2011)
Old 05-25-2011, 10:50 PM

I'm going to have to modify the Brassia's schedule as I just moved her into lava stone. So likely every third day. She is shooting out new shoots and roots, so I'm not too worried about her. Though I did do massive surgery on her roots. It took me an hour to cut through them all and remove the bad roots. There were a lot.

The Oncidium gets watered when the bamboo stake is almost completely dry. Which is about every third day. All I have to pot her in is lava stone and charcoal? Would that work? I'm not sure where to get fine bark in a small enough quantity. It's bad enough I bought a cubic foot of lava stone. (Though I use it at the bottom of my vegetable pots.)

My daytime temps in my apartment are roughly 80, with the night temps around 65-70. I'm not sure how humid it is. But I know in this area the humidity is almost always above 60%.

Here's a picture of the Oncidiums pbulbs, plus a picture of what looks like new shoots on my Brassia.
Attached Thumbnails
dsc_2322.jpg   dsc_2323.jpg   dsc_2324.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to Amblnc38 For This Useful Post:
orchids4me (05-26-2011)
Old 05-26-2011, 02:29 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 4,422 Times in 3,810 Posts
orchids4me is on a distinguished road
Ok so the pseudo bulb with that brown spot on it is the oncidium correct? Keep an eye on that spot. You may need a systemic fungal/bactrial treatment (physan 20) if you can't find physan 20 locally repotme.com sells it. Do you have a local nursery or a home depot ? These places you can find bark mix. If not repotme.com also sells it check out their web site.
Now the pseudo bulb watch it so it doesn't spread you may have to remove this one and sprinkle cinnamon powder on the area you removed the bulb.
Other members may have more advice on the pseudo bulb situation.

Daisy 2003 -2013
Life is too short.... Buy more orchids!!!!

Emmaye
The Following User Says Thank You to orchids4me For This Useful Post:
Amblnc38 (05-26-2011)
Old 05-26-2011, 11:14 AM

Yes, the spot is on my Onc. The spot is buried between leaves that house an old flower spike. I pulled them apart gently. The spot is not mushy or anything. The plant is quite a bit yellower than is shown in the pictures. There is also an orange "ring" around the top of that Pbulb where the leaves shoot out. Don't know if that means anything.

I am tempted to pull the thing out of the soil all together and teat very cautiously as an air plant until I can lay my hands on some fine bark. But I don't want to be too hasty and make it worse.

We do have a nursery here. I will go out and check there later one. If not I will call the local Master Gardner group and see if anyone has a suggestion.