Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2006, 01:29 AM

Orchid_lady is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Need help with cuttings

I need help with my cuttings. It has been a week since I cut a cane from my dendrobium. I have followed the instructions on a book that I bought about how to increase my stocks. Sterilezed the instruments, got a tray filled it with damp moss then I cut the dens by sections. The only thing that I did not have was antiseptic solution for the wounds so I dipped them in a root hormone powder. I half-sink them then I put the plastic cover which I made some breathing holes.

Now I discovered that they are growing mold that looks white powdery. I dont understand since they have been away from the light. I followed what the book said so why are they turning out like this? What can I do to save them? Sorry for the long essay.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Cynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond repute
You may have had some fertilizer on the plant, or other 'stuff'. Why not just take the canes out and wash/rub them to get the mold off and put back into your arrangement. If the moss has the mold, then it may have some contamination on it. As long as it is not rot, keep going. This method looks like a variation on the sphag & bag routine. I have saved a few Dens with the sphag & bag technique. But, be prepared to wait quite a while. Some plants just take their time in cooperating. Cynthia, Prescott, AZ
Old 04-06-2006, 03:48 PM
orchid126

What you're experiencing is a mold which also forms on young seedlings. It comes out of nowhere and happens because of no air circulation. Exposing the plants to the air ususally makes it go away.