Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2015, 03:49 PM

trickyt is on a distinguished road
Mystery (to me) Phal Disease

Hello all,
I'm taking the liberty of posting this here having already posted (in relation to same plant, different topic) in Newbie Questions. One of my phals is poorly & I don't have sufficient experience to diagnose. Photo in my User CP. Could be I think mites or mealy bugs - have already had mealy bugs on another plant. Symptoms = tiny black/brown spots & pitting on leaf undersides, small amount of sticky stuff on one leaf u/side, powdery white substance on u/side of one leaf. Have removed that with Qtip/alcohol, am soaking bark to repot tomorrow. Plant isolated.
What do you think? Appreciate your advice - thanks.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:33 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 3,967 Times in 1,720 Posts
Ron is on a distinguished road
Hi I use to grow a lot of Phalls until our labour Aussie gov caused the power bill to go sky high so I sold all mine

I had about 1000 at one time so I read, talked and asked a lot of quiestions.

Growing Phalls do better in a clear pot using an open well draing medium that allows some retentions of water for a few days without being soggy.
They love a nice regular feed of fertiliser and medium light levells, so far easy.
But to grow and flower them successfull with big sprays of flowers, not a runty few flowers on a short stem, THEY need heat, miniumn of night 20 deg C best at around 25 to 30C Day and night.
I see from your Photos the plant is bare rooted roots look non active. Hybrids do not like to be mounted and I find some species also like to be potted instead of mounted, unless you have misters constantly misting the root system.

So Repot your plants into a good Phalaenopsis mix (avoid spag moss) place it in a warm airy place, water regulary and never let the mix become bone dry, give it a good feed regulary in the growing season and all the problems you are having should dissapear.

Perhaps spray under the leaves with an eco oil type of sprays as maybe spider mites on them causing some problems
Best of luck

My friend Missy
Good growing, Ron
Old 03-18-2015, 02:54 PM

trickyt is on a distinguished road
Good grief, Ron - 1000 orchids! Don't be putting ideas into my head ... Thanks for your advice, I've taken it on board.

I've diagnosed mealy bugs as my current problem, on account of another of my orchids had some recently. Am repotting any minute.
Regards.