Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Fishmom
  • 1 Post By Catt Mandu

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2015, 01:20 PM

Makail is on a distinguished road
Mealybugs...!!

Two weeks ago a tiny small orchid of mine had a mealybug laying on it's leaf. I freaked out and tossed it away... Today I found a mealybug laying on a piece of bark in my growing area. I took the bark and tossed it away. I don't know if I should be worried or not, how do I destroy it? What should I do? I don't really want to repot my orchids since they all had been repotted the last two months.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:09 PM
Senior Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,255 Times in 945 Posts
Fishmom is on a distinguished road
Ugh! Hate mealybugs! The only thing I've found that works without hours and hours of effort is a systemic--I use Bayers Rose and Garden, which has imidacloprid, I think. I use it cautiously and don't leave any blooming orchids outside after use, as it is bad for bees.

I know others who use alcohol and a q-tip, but I just can't manage the time for that. And when I have used that method, I found that it didn't really quell the infestation.
sunshine and Nexogen like this.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,653 Times in 2,209 Posts
sunshine is on a distinguished road
Ewwww mealy bugs. I use insecticidal soap if only a few. I also use Bayer Rose and Flower insect killer. Will alternate between the 2. I save the Systemic for infestations. These can be found at Lowes,Home Depot, Walmart or just about any garden center.

Bayer Advanced 24 oz. Ready-to-Use Rose and Flower Insect Killer-502570 - The Home Depot

Bayer Advanced. Get More From The Blue Bottle.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000209739937
Old 08-11-2015, 12:56 AM

Bayer Rose and Flower/Garden wouldn't hurt the orchids?
Old 08-11-2015, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmom View Post
Ugh! Hate mealybugs! The only thing I've found that works without hours and hours of effort is a systemic--I use Bayers Rose and Garden, which has imidacloprid, I think. I use it cautiously and don't leave any blooming orchids outside after use, as it is bad for bees.

I know others who use alcohol and a q-tip, but I just can't manage the time for that. And when I have used that method, I found that it didn't really quell the infestation.
I try not to leave them outside, mostly grow them indoors to prevent pest, but of course they still come in one way or another by hopping plants or whatever means necessary for them.

How do you use it cautiously?
Old 08-11-2015, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,653 Times in 2,209 Posts
sunshine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makail View Post
I try not to leave them outside, mostly grow them indoors to prevent pest, but of course they still come in one way or another by hopping plants or whatever means necessary for them.

How do you use it cautiously?
Where it's summer in Maine all of my cattleyas and laelias are outside in my small greenhouse. My phals and others that don't need that much light are in the house. I get bugs no matter what. I will go awhile w/no bugs then all of a sudden ewwwwww where did those come from? I find it's a constant vigil on the bugs. No, the Bayer Rose and Flower won't hurt your orchids. I have sprayed my orchids in the house and neither me or my pets have had any ill side effects. In the greenhouse just pickup and spray. It's like using any type of insecticide just have to becareful where you spray especially if you have pets and kids. Remember your using a small amount not massive quantities.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000209739937
Old 08-11-2015, 07:43 AM
V.I.P Member

Catt Mandu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makail View Post
Bayer Rose and Flower/Garden wouldn't hurt the orchids?

Bayer R&F is fine for orchids. I spray the top and not of leaves and also spray the growing medium.

Although you can move the plant indoors if you like, I find that bees the United States very rarely visit tropical orchids.

Since you have spotted mealies twice, I suspect you will keep seeing them in your plants. Treat with Bayer R&F as directed on the package (requires repeated treatment for a few weeks) and they will go away.

BTW the imidacloprid pesticide in Bayer R&F is the same chemical in Advantage- brand flea treatment used on dogs, except Advantage is 100s of times more concentrated.
sunshine likes this.

Last edited by Catt Mandu; 08-11-2015 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:23 PM
Senior Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,255 Times in 945 Posts
Fishmom is on a distinguished road
My idea of using cautiously: I don't do preventative spraying, so I am not spreading droplets all over my back yard (where the orchids are during the summer). I do keep a covered bucket of the stuff mixed up and when I see bugs, I either dip the plant in the bucket for a drench of the plant + medium, or I spray the individual plant with a hand sprayer. I use the bucket when repotting also.

On bees: I haven't seen bees on my plants either, Catt, but I have had a few dendrobiums get pollinated and form seed pods. Something must be visiting them. Also I am concerned about droplet drift for any plants that are downwind of my shade structure.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:43 PM

Oooh, okay, thanks.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:48 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 3,423 Times in 1,249 Posts
Bolero is on a distinguished road
I've lost a few this year to mealy bug and even the systemics struggled to keep them at bay. I think I've finally got on top of it but it took a while. Sends the catt's yellow and then black.