Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2006, 10:05 AM

bvilla1 is on a distinguished road
Question looks like blisters on the stem

I am new to taking care of orchids. ( I have acquired 5 plants) I have noticed on one of them that there seems to be some sort of strange blistering on the stem, leaves and flowers. I have pressed on some of the "blisters" and a brownish liquid is released. I don't know if these are bugs because I can run a damp cloth on the stem and they come right off. The flowers have died and the remaining buds look like they aren't going to do anything. Please help, I don't want to have my orchid die. Can this be saved?

Last edited by bvilla1; 05-25-2006 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:13 AM
duhhdog

do you mean actual burn like blisters or just droplets of clear sticky fluid? the later is normal and like clear syrup, sweet.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:53 PM
Member Photobucket

Ellen is on a distinguished road
From your description it sounds like scale. These are insects that attach themselves to the bottom of leaves and suck the life out of them. You might want to post a picture to help people make a better diagnosis. In any case, you will probably want to spray with some sort of pesticide and keep the plant away from others until you are sure that the problem is gone. And you should check any other plants you have for new infestations, too.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Cynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like scale to me. Be sure what ever you use in the way of a pestacide is labled for scale. Most pestacides don't work on scale. Neem oil will work, but you have to be very thorough with your spraying, and you must keep the plant out of warm, high light conditions for a day afterward. Cynthia, Prescott, AZ