Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2006, 11:56 PM

greg_s is on a distinguished road
Bugs! Little hitchhikers

I just picked up my first onc at a show this weekend (onc carnival costume). When I checked my skewer tonight for moisture levels I noticed that I had some little hitchhikers (see pictures). I have been keeping this one in quarantine so none of my other plants are affected.

Could anyone advise me as to what they are and how to get rid of them?

Thanks,

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
onc-carnival-costume-bug-1.jpg   onc-carnival-costume-bug-2.jpg  

Last edited by greg_s; 08-02-2006 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:02 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,285 Posts
mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
Those are psocids - common name is bark lice. Not injurious to your plant(s), but not something I would want around nonetheless. My guess is pretty much any common insecticide will do away with them. Good news - they are feeding on your media - not your vegetation. mike
Old 08-03-2006, 09:31 AM

greg_s is on a distinguished road
Not sure what kind of insecticide would be appropriate? Would repotting be an option too?
Old 08-03-2006, 10:13 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,285 Posts
mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
You could repot whenever you see new growth/new roots forming on your plant. I once separated a nice plant with six large pseudobulbs when it was not putting out new roots - yellow leaves, shrinking pseudobulbs and lots of "sulking" - they don't like it! Yes, since these bugs are only interested in damp decaying wood a fresh batch of media will rid you of them if you adequately rinse the roots off before repotting. My guess is just about any common household insecticide sprayed on the soil will work - possibly others will give recommendations. I have lots of choices available myself from gardening and other plants - though most are directed at the plant itself rather than the soil/media. fyi - these types of critters are commonly found in places like damp under-sink enclosures, in outdoor pallets or other slowly decaying wood, etc. Again, should pose no threat to your plant.