Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By plucker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2011, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,656 Times in 2,212 Posts
sunshine is on a distinguished road
Lc. Angel Love x skinneri

This was my first ever mini catt and just love it. I have almost lost it a couple times but it bounces right back.

The new growths come in that nice pretty shade of green and then they get this black spot on one side of the leaf then it slowly spreads to the other side. Then the whole leaf starts turning black. I have sprayed with Physan 20 and have cut the leaf just below the black stuff and treated with cinnamon. The sad part was one of the new growths had a sheath and it infected the sheath,too This is the only one of my catts that give me a hard time. It's not spreading to my other catts. Oh yes, I had help taking the pictures

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000209739937
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunshine For This Useful Post:
orchids4me (09-16-2011), zaeem (10-09-2013)
Old 09-15-2011, 07:56 PM

TheBlazingAugust is on a distinguished road
Ouch, that is very suckish! I guess the only thing I could say is try not to mist it, or get any water on the new growths. Hope it gets better!

Orchids in a Closet ~ A detailed journal of my orchid endeavours.

~Cody Hamilton~
Old 09-15-2011, 10:40 PM
Executive Senior Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

hera is on a distinguished road
Is it getting enough air circulation? Are you allowing water to splash on the whole plant when you water? Does it have scale? Those are my thoughts for now.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:07 AM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,308 Times in 749 Posts
tangers40 is on a distinguished road
ya know, i have been having something similar happen to my mini catts this summer....their new growths would get so big, then blacken and eventually die. i figured out they were getting too hot under my lights. is your plant getting pretty roasty at all? i'm not sure it's the same thing, but it does look very similar.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:08 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 4,422 Times in 3,810 Posts
orchids4me is on a distinguished road
Humm I'm not sure either. But 2 good tips maybe 3 here don't get the new growths wet, increase air flow and if under lights maybe the young growths aren't adapting qiuck enough backe them off a tad during growth from where it normally is until they toughen up a bit and adjust maybe ? I'd try this next growth cycle and see if it changes anything, that if someone else doesn't get it all figured out as something else.
Good luck!

Daisy 2003 -2013
Life is too short.... Buy more orchids!!!!

Emmaye
Old 10-04-2013, 12:03 PM

egie is on a distinguished road
lc angel Love X Skinneri

Mine too has the same issues. Bought it 3 years ago and it was pristine, with lovely flowers. It quickly grew and I repotted it into a larger clay (from plastic) pot, all by itself, involved no cutting of tissues and the pot had been sterilized. The first new grow showed black spotted streaking. I thought first bacteria, treated it with Physan and cinnamon, which seemed to arrest it. The next growth, the whole inner leaf turned black and black streaking occured along the emerging psuedobulb, this time neither Physan nor cinnamon helped. I did get it to flower on one of the new growths, the flowers were perfect but the leaves looked like virus...hmmm. I don't know if it is or how it got a virus unless it was infected coming from the grower.
I've had it growing in a direct east window and it burned and rotted the new growth. I put in into a south east window with some direct light-lot's of tree shade-it rotted in the emerging growths. I moved it into a north east window, no direct light-but very bright and it developed a lot of what looked like bacterial spotting which I treated with cinnamon. There's been good air circulation in all my positions-open windows for all positions. No flowers were produced from these growths because I had to cut off the dead blackness and it extended down to the sheath...
I'm about to throw mine out. I don't know what it is but seems to be a problem of rapid soft growth, too much moisture within the growing leaves and overheating. I feed it DynaGro Protect at 1/4 strength. Any one else experiencing this?
Old 10-06-2013, 07:53 AM

plucker is on a distinguished road
Looks like bacterial problems. Try increasing the supply of calcium to the diet to prevent this on future growths. Probably not much to do for this one, but watch it slowly spread down the psudobulb or cut of the affected part of the leaf.

Just a tip on calcium, it is not translocatable, so you will need to feed regularly, but it will assist with reductions in bacterial growths and also pests.
Nexogen likes this.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:55 PM

Nexogen is on a distinguished road

Possible Calcium deficiency or, Iím afraid for black rot...

Last edited by Nexogen; 10-06-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:48 PM

plucker is on a distinguished road
If there is enough calcium in the diet, you wont get black rot.