Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2006, 01:57 PM

Masha is on a distinguished road
Is my orchid sick? Help!

Hello,
I bought my orchids 1,5 ago at Lowe's. They have been doing really well until I decided to repot them this summer. Orchids didn't bloom this winter. They didn't show any signs of stress after repotting and after a month I decided to change a location and put them on the window above my kitchen sink to rise humidity a little bit. But I guess that orchids get burned. Leaves started to get wrinkles and started yellowing. I put them back at the old location but it didn't help. One orchid started to rot. I'm very carefull with watering and can't think about how it could happened. I used fungicide and cinnamon but it didn't help. Maybe I used to much of it? Anyway, I lost this orchid. But now the same story repeat itself. I really worry about my other two orchids. I sprinkle medium with cinnamon to prevent fungus. However very strong plant with 6 leaves lost already 4 leaves. I don't know is that a stress from repotting, sun of some desease? Please take a look at pictures. There is a leave which fell off today while I was watering plant. Two alive leaves look yellowish at the base which makes me very nervous. Maybe I imagining stuff?
Thank you so much for reading my posting and I really apreciate any advice.
Masha
Attached Thumbnails
orchids-003.jpg   orchids-001.jpg   orchids-009.jpg  
Old 08-17-2006, 02:33 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,285 Posts
mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
What direction was the light coming from in your kitchen window? Most definately they get burned - phal leaves heat up with direct sunlight on them pretty quickly and unless you have loads of air movement to carry away the heat it means trouble. Early morning sunshine can be tolerated if increased gradually and not right up against a window. When I first started growing orchids I put one in a window at work on a friday and by the following Monday when I came back it was a goner. Once they are burned you cannot bring them back. Sorry. I'm guessing this is the sole problem based on what you have shared so far.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Cynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond repute
It does not look to sun burn to me. Sun burn shows up on the portion of the leaf that faces the light. I suspect mites.

http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/orc...ighlight=mites

Cynthia
Old 08-17-2006, 04:28 PM

Masha is on a distinguished road
Thank you so much for your advice. I'll take a better look to see if there are any insects in the pot or on the plant. I hope my phal will get better.
Masha