Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

View Poll Results: Is this going to kill my dendro?
yes, your dendro will die 1 7.14%
yes, but it still can grow again 0 0%
No, your dendro will be fine 3 21.43%
No, with proper treatment. 10 71.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2008, 04:47 AM

Fransle is on a distinguished road
Is my den going to die?

Hi, I am new in this forum. I have an orchid I believe she is dendrobium sakura. I observed the black spot coming since last month. It start with just like a dirt spot and spreading to the whole orchid and some spike blasted already. Once the black spot spread on the leaf, the leaf will turn yellow and die. I want worry too much coz I saw I have a leaf leaf came in. But the black spot not stopping, they also attacking the spike untill the spike turn yellow.

I checked on the website that It is a fungus, I cannot find the phyton 27 or 22 in my area. Any idea how can I cure my orchid. I really wish her to stay alive and blooming
Attached Thumbnails
spot-on-the-spike.jpg   when-its-blooming.jpg   spot-on-the-leaf.jpg  
Old 02-17-2008, 06:12 AM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 5,451 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
Any fungicide will probably work. I can't vote in the poll because the option I want isn't listed: No, with proper treatment.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:21 AM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,356 Posts
fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
the option is added now Kevin

welcome Fransle

could you please go to your UserCP ( at the top left of the page ) click that and a menu will drop click Update Profile and scroll down to your Location to Update your Location for us.
this will help us to understand your growing Conditions as we have members from all over the world with different growing conditions also to help us give you the right advice
thank you
Old 02-17-2008, 11:42 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,030 Times in 630 Posts
digitalgate is on a distinguished road
remember dont spray water on the leaves or leave the plant being rained on. you will
minimize fungus growth.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:31 AM

I have two dendro, and both of them having the same probs.
I removed one of them and put it under a little tree beside my house ( I live in a tropical location, Boeneo). and it seems now the leaf turned brown (as if too much water, may be because it has been raining the last 6 days). But I leave it there. I really dont know what to do. I sprayed them already with pestiside. I hope it will hope. The pestiside i used is the one to kill the mites, aphyds, etc. Is this okay?
Old 02-18-2008, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket

Cynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond repute
Spraying with some pesticides may be a problem, but since you live in a very different part of the world, what you use may not be familiar to us for us to give you any help on this. But you may want to give us the name any way. Your problem does seem quite old. I would check the roots to see if the excessive wetness may have rooted off the roots and the plant just can't support the leaves. Or, maybe you had a bad case of some kind of bugs, and if the plants don't have a bad reaction to the pesticide, you may have solved the problem. It is a really good idea to have a strong magnifying glass or an approximately 4 power jeweler's loupe.

If it is just a fungal problem, then the best guess is that there is something wrong with your culture, like the plant getting to cold at night. But that sounds unlikely where you live.

Prescott Orchid Society
Old 02-18-2008, 06:12 PM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransle View Post
I have two dendro, and both of them having the same probs.
I removed one of them and put it under a little tree beside my house ( I live in a tropical location, Boeneo). and it seems now the leaf turned brown (as if too much water, may be because it has been raining the last 6 days). But I leave it there. I really dont know what to do. I sprayed them already with pestiside. I hope it will hope. The pestiside i used is the one to kill the mites, aphyds, etc. Is this okay?
it is an old plant. Let it regrow a new keiki . It has to recover from long negligence. Try to shelter it from rain.
Brunei has lot lot of rain. Use a 50% shade netting , it should be available in
Brunei. It is about $5 per metre.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:24 AM

Hi, thanks for all suggestions guys. I am having trouble with my pc these days.
will keep you updated with my orchids. The den has keiki, a healthy keiki. i did checked the root and they are fine (I saw a lizzard coming out though )

The keiki is on its own now, safe and sound.
But the mother? oh man, I think she will die.
i will keep trying to safe her life.
I will update you with the pesticide I use here soon.
Ciao for now.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:18 AM
V.I.P Member

dont add any pesticides right now, it stresses the plant.(unless you have a major infestation)
Old 02-27-2008, 02:42 AM

I stop using the pesticide now and stop watering them 9rely on the rain only). My dendro used to have 6 leaves and 2 of them successfully turned into yellow color and fell down. So she only has 3 leaves and they are all with the black spot. I notice onething, the black spot for some reason stop spreading. But I think it is too late, because that dendro doesnt grow any new leaf anymore.

well, just rely on the keiki to grow fast and start produce it flower.....(so I can post it here). Oh ya, you guys can see my keiki on the picture archive here. just browse for my ID and you'll see it. hehhe

Thanks Y'all.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:03 AM

Guys,

Just wanna give you an update on my dying dendro I mentioned above.
Today, march 1st 2008 i noticed that the dendro i hang under the hibiscus flower branch IS PRODUCING KEIKI! Y.E.S, it is producing KEIKI!!!

The dendro is still drying, I mean only has three leaves and they are all already damaged!
Attached Thumbnails
current-dendro-condition.jpg   current-leaves-condition.jpg   dying-dendro-producing-keiki.jpg   baby-keiki-on-zoom.jpg  
Old 03-01-2008, 12:06 AM
V.I.P Member

kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
Can you post a pic of the keiki? I can't see it from those you posted.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:07 AM

I forgot to mention that I didnt put any fertilizer anymore. Since it is producing keiki now, should I start using fertilizer again?
Old 03-01-2008, 12:15 AM

Here I put an arrow on the pic for you, Kmarch

I am so happy now ...I guess the right answer for the poll is number 2, my keiki will die but it can grow again....producing keiki though not new leaf
Attached Thumbnails
baby-keiki-on-zoom2.jpg  
Old 03-01-2008, 12:30 AM
V.I.P Member

Ah, ok. That's not a keiki. That's a normal growth. A keiki is a baby plant that grows from the tip of the dendrobium cane, not the base. You've got better than a keiki, you've got a new growth coming from the base, which is what you want. It is a sign the plant is recovering.

By the way, keikis have leaves too.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:32 AM

oh ya, let me make it clear.

I repotted the dendro in order to check the roots, they are fine. at the time i repotted, this dendro has a well grown healthy keiki. I split the keiki from the mother (since it has its won root already) hoping that the black spot won't spread to the keiki. (see pic keiki 1) and I placed the mother under the hibiscus tree and not spraying with anything after I read what digitalgate suggested. I think it has been 2 weeks now and 3 out of the 6 leaves already fell down. This morning when i check the dendro (hoping to see any new live sign) I saw a lil bud stiking out from the charcoal. I removed the charcoal and eng...i...eeeennggg......I saw the keiki. Thank you guys..... thank you so much for all the support and input.
Attached Thumbnails
keiki-dendro-feb-14.jpg  
Old 03-01-2008, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarch View Post
Ah, ok. That's not a keiki. That's a normal growth. A keiki is a baby plant that grows from the tip of the dendrobium cane, not the base. You've got better than a keiki, you've got a new growth coming from the base, which is what you want. It is a sign the plant is recovering.

By the way, keikis have leaves too.

Ok, new growth then... silly me. Sorry for using the wrong term, i am a newbie remember...
Old 03-01-2008, 12:40 AM
V.I.P Member

ok now you fertilize! half strength. 1 week later full strength fertilizer. Watch for the root
if it turn brown, rinse with plain water. Fertilizer with half strength .

wait for another 2 week wait for new root growth (continue with half strength fertilizer)

now change fertilizer , use full strength to water (don't fertilize on a sunny day)

then you wait and wait and wait for the flower