Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2009, 01:07 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,736 Times in 1,033 Posts
-k- is on a distinguished road
Insecticidal Soap

Read through many posts about this and mealy bugs, seems a few are still sticking around on one of my mini phals. I used as per directions however my question is can Safers Insecticidal soap be used on blooms; since that's where I keep finding them. This is the 3rd one found in a few weeks, so it doesn't seem to be a heavy infestation. Haven't done a repot on it since it's got multiple spikes growing in addition to open blooms...
Old 12-12-2009, 01:28 PM
Executive Senior Member

Hummer344 is on a distinguished road
I use a cotton swab dipped in olive oil or salad oil to take the little buggers off one at a time. Of course, if you have a bad infestation, this wouldn't be very practicle. If its one or two then I would use the above method.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hummer344 For This Useful Post:
-k- (12-12-2009), Schlyne (12-12-2009)
Old 12-12-2009, 01:37 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Yeah, just got done looking it over closely, found one more tucked away at the base of a leaf! Used a cotton swab dipped lightly in the solution to get some of the tighter spots including nodes that looked suspicious. I did not treat the blooms, just going to continue to keep close watch on it as I have been. Thk you for your thoughts!
Old 12-12-2009, 02:59 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,583 Times in 929 Posts
mehitabel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K- View Post
my question is can Safers Insecticidal soap be used on blooms; since that's where I keep finding them. This is the 3rd one found in a few weeks, so it doesn't seem to be a heavy infestation. .
No, Safer's will kill flowers. They shrivel and brown up within a couple of days. It's okay on closed buds, tho. I've sprayed closed buds on catts as well as phals and had no effect whatever.

Like you, I get mealies on the flowers. I think the factories for these are in the spike nodes, and they like the flowers because they are more tender.

I use a Q-tip dipped in dishwashing liquid, and slop it on the mealies. Same for scale. This does kill them,even with no alcohol etc in it. Then you can just rinse them off. If the mealies are in the lip, the Q-tip in that area does finish the flower.

This may shorten the life of the soft-textured flowers a little, but not so clear a result as with Safer's. Waxy flowers last better all ways.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mehitabel For This Useful Post:
-k- (12-12-2009), orchidlover55 (01-13-2010), Schlyne (12-12-2009)
Old 12-12-2009, 05:26 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehitabel View Post
No, Safer's will kill flowers. They shrivel and brown up within a couple of days. It's okay on closed buds, tho. I've sprayed closed buds on catts as well as phals and had no effect whatever.

Like you, I get mealies on the flowers. I think the factories for these are in the spike nodes, and they like the flowers because they are more tender.

I use a Q-tip dipped in dishwashing liquid, and slop it on the mealies. Same for scale. This does kill them,even with no alcohol etc in it. Then you can just rinse them off. If the mealies are in the lip, the Q-tip in that area does finish the flower.

This may shorten the life of the soft-textured flowers a little, but not so clear a result as with Safer's. Waxy flowers last better all ways.
Thank you I didn't spray the flowers so thats good! I did swab q-tip under the nodes where flowers are though as well as several others that looked a bit dicey. Hope that does not cause a problem, currently there are two spikes growing from two of those nodes.