Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2008, 07:05 PM
Junior Member Photobucket

clarita is on a distinguished road
"Honey Dew" On CTSM Leaves

I noticed a sticky honey dew like substance on the underside of my warm growing CTSM types. I've treated it with Bayer 3 in 1 mixed with a little safers. After the 1st application/ cleaning the honeydew returned

I see no bugs, not even with maginfyer but they have to be there as my leaves are getting tiny specals (front side). I don't want the leaf tissue to collapse.

Since I haven't seen any improvement, I was wondering about the combination of 50% rubbing alcohol and dilute dish soap I haven't had any real bug problems as I have always usually lived above the "no fly zone" . I'm at a loss to know what the best course of action is, especially with the thin leaved plants.
How is the dishsoap/alcohol applied? Spray or bathe?

I'm also concerned as I found this on my ctsm saccatum over the weekend :

Will a treatment at this stage harm the spike?

Thanks
Old 06-24-2008, 07:12 PM

made4engineering is on a distinguished road
Ummm.... happy sap?
Old 06-24-2008, 07:22 PM

I wish!
It's on the non-bloomers too and only on the underside of the leaf.
I can't get a good enough pic but whatever it is is making tiny pin-holed size yellow marks that come through to the top side of the leaf
Old 06-24-2008, 08:16 PM

bkim is on a distinguished road
Honeydew is indicative of aphids, mealies, or soft scale. They could possibly be hiding in the folds of the plant. I would hold off on a treatment until you know what the cause is.

In the giant Neofinetia thread, Bayer 3in1 is suspect for causing a spike to die off.

Look in the crevaces, creases, folds, and medium of your plant for the culprit.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:56 PM

I responded to this post but it disappeared.

I was not aware that there are 2 Bayer "3 in 1" products.
Just wanted everyone to know that there are 2
Bayer "All in One"
Bayer " 3 in 1" Insect disease and mite controle

Both say "3 in 1" on the label and are packaged similarly
They both come in concentrate form. The Mites comes in a spray too

"All in One" is a systemic and has not been effective in treating whatever has started.

I am using the one that does NOT say mites, but have ordered it

I don't want to wait to ID whatever is attacking my plants. Spider mites, scale, all the same, unwelcome. Needs to be dealth with swiftly. I washed them down with dish soap, see what happens before I get bigger guns out.

catasetinae are prone to attacks especially if humidity is low. I recently moved and have been setting up my grow areas. Humidity was ambient for a time. I also suspect the HVAC system (a/c heat) It hadn't been cleaning in a decade, nor had the filter been changed by the previous tenant!
My system was cleaned yesterday. Big difference.

I'd like more information on why it is thought that Bayer would cause a spike to die off?

Was this 1 isolated case in a Neo?

Not uncommon for Neo spikes to abort/blast if conditions are not met. I've seen pre-mature blooms drop on Neos at OHG. Not every bloom cycle is a strong one. We had an unusual Winter/Spring in Chicago which was likely why I saw the Neo spike in that condition.

I use Bayer liberally, meaning mixed stronger than indicated. Its meant for Roses. I'm sure the Rose addicts are just as fanatical about their plants as we are about orchids. I think Bayer takes that into account to avoid lawsuits
Old 06-27-2008, 02:01 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

brookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of light
It was my Neo that blasted. I noticed the spike starting just after I sprayed with the Bayer, and within I would say a week or so, it was brown and gone. Jenny (articuno75) had a Shutenno that was in bloom, and she sprayed with the Bayer, her blooms lasted all of a week total maybe less. With mine the conditions had not changed, temp had not changed, humidity had not changed. No fert. used, I did not move it from the original location it had been in except to water with distilled water. My inflorescense had started to form little spurs. The only thing that was different for the plant was the Bayer. I won't hesitate to use it again, I just did not know quite how sensitively the Neo. would react to it. Mine is the 3 in 1 for mites.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:45 PM

Brooke
Thanks for the info

I think we all lose sight of the fact that the fate of spikes is already determined by the time we can see them.... the culture of many months previous to the "event" dictates that. However caution should be used.

I have some "orphaned" plants. I'd be willing to try an experiment to see if the Bayer mites is indeed the culprit.

Clara
Old 06-29-2008, 10:12 PM
Executive Senior Member Photobucket

arleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rough
This evening, I discovered the same thing is happening to my Fdk. After Dark. However, my Cyc. barthiorum and Cyc. Wine Delight aren't affected.

At any rate, when I turned a leaf over, I saw something crawling and white, but didn't see the same on the underside of the rest of the leaves. I'll be spraying my Fdk. and Cyc.s with Indoor Pharm. I hope that will solve the problem.

I've never had any problems with my Cyc. Wine Delight, which I've had for two years.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:07 PM
V.I.P Member

sandra is on a distinguished road
Clara, I've scanned this thread very quickly and maybe I'm reacting too quickly but I saw your consideration of alcohol and became a little anxious here.

Just the other day I noticed what I think were mites on one of my catasetums and sprayed just a little alcohol on the leaves. The next day, that entire bulb was limp, the leaves drooping and turning yellow. I ended up cutting it down, treating with Physan and cinnamon. This is one orchid that didn't tolerate alcohol whatsoever!

Proceed with caution...
Old 06-30-2008, 04:33 PM

Arlene
These guys are mite magnates... Please get a handle on it asap. It stinks doesn't it?
They seem to go for the "prima -donna's" don't they?
Actually, they seem to like the thin leaved guys

Sandra
Glad your back!
I treated them with:
-Dilute dishsoap
-While that was applied I mixed 50% alcohol 50% water.
sprayed them down rinsed after 1 minute, let them dry out of the light
I've found its not good to use alcohol or peroxide and put them back into light/heat
Let them dry and let leaf temp return to ambient temp

I won't use cinnamon as it inhibits growth. YMMV Better things to use IMO

Its been a few days. The "goop"/honeydew is gone
Lets see if stays gone
Old 06-30-2008, 07:34 PM

arleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rough
clarita,

It sure stinks!

Yesterday evening, I sprayed my Fdk and Cycs with Indoor Pharm. I checked this afternoon. The sappy stuff are gone. But I'll keep an eye on them for the next few days.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:49 PM

Humidity discourages them
Arlene, Can you boost it around "Fergie"? or is yours "Freddie"
The buggers certainly have good taste in orchids!

Clara
Old 06-30-2008, 11:39 PM

Clarita,

I can try. "Fergie" is on the windowsill (above the bathtub) in the master bathroom. The humidity increases to about 45-50% in the morning. That lasts for an hour or so.

I think the reason why they started munching on Fergie is because our a/c was down for 9 days. With the temps reaching 90F indoors, the humidity was down low (below 20%). Plus, she's the closest to the window which was left opened 24 hours for those 9 days
Old 07-01-2008, 09:12 AM

Interesting Arlene. We lost our a/c on June 1 as well!

It's only partially repaired. Its 84º at 8am. have you considered humidifyer(s) or a swamp cooler to raise local humidity around your "guys" and "gals"? I am running both right now. I try to keep the humidity to 50-55%. (More than that indoors can be dangerous to humans).

We moved June 1. It took awhile to unpack the humidyers. Thats when the creatures took my plants hostage. We bought the swamp coolers out of sheer desperation. They arrived last week. I lost several plants to the heat. The FDK's like the heat thankfully but some of my other catasetinae did not.

I did a lot of reading about the cause of mites and soft scales. Dry conditions was stated as the cause in numerous articles.

Clara