Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mayres

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2014, 10:41 PM

Mdon is on a distinguished road
Help - Yellowing and brown tip on Phal leaf

Hi everyone,

I noticed a large brown spot on the tip of one of the leaves of my phal. The leaf is the second one from the bottom so its not the last one. The leaf started turning yellow and it looked like the yellow part was spreading. I cut off the tip where the brown spotting was and applied cinnamon on the cut. A couple of days later, the yellow part started spreading and now it's pretty much covering one whole side of the leaf. Is this a disease? I'm worried that it will spread to the rest of the leaves. I don't think its due to age because the phal is currently in full bloom and its not the very bottom leaf. I attached some pictures of the leaf with the brown spot and yellow parts and then the leaf after I cut it. I am new to orchids and don't want my orchid to die. Please help me. Thank you!!
Attached Thumbnails
iphone-pics-148.jpg   iphone-pics-149.jpg   iphone-pics-151.jpg   iphone-pics-157.jpg  
Old 11-27-2014, 12:09 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,285 Posts
mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
Can we see the whole plant? Yes.....the oldest leaf will normally turn yellow and then brown and then naturally fall off......
Are the other leaves all OK? Did this leaf potentially get exposed to sun next to a window? How long have you had the plant and how do you care for it? All you can tell us about your "journey" with it will help some of us offer you a suggestion/tip.
Catsma_97504 likes this.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:35 PM

Catsma_97504 is on a distinguished road
I completely agree with the above questions. Knowing more about this plant and being able to see the entire plant would help us to offer any advice.

From what little I can see of the other leaves, I would hazard a guess that this leaf suffered some damage at one point; and is gradually dying back. Even in your first photos showing the leaf in question appear to have a small piece cut off of it.

If the roots are good and if the rest of the plant looks healthy then odds are nothing serious is happening. But, that is my guess based on the very sparse info provided.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:54 PM

Thank you for the reply. I water the phal every 5 to 7 days. It sits in a bay window sill - its a north facing window so it doesn't get strong sun. I made a humidity tray with pebbles and water and it sits over this. I fertilize it every time I water it with Jack's Orchid fertilizer 7-5-6. The medium is Espoma organic orchid mix of bark, perlite and horticultural charcoal. The phal sits in a terra cota pot. I attached some pics of the whole orchid. Yes!.. the yellow leaf looked like it was cut back before when I got it. The other leaves have no damage. It came in a decorative pot and I repotted it when I first got it. Attached are some pics of the phal.

Thank you and happy thanksgiving!

Margaret
Attached Thumbnails
orchid-pics-001.jpg   orchid-pics-002.jpg   orchid-pics-003.jpg   orchid-pics-004.jpg  
Old 11-28-2014, 12:54 AM

ninja_phal is on a distinguished road
Idk what's wrong but those are GORGEOUS blooms. Is it a NoID?
Old 11-28-2014, 02:04 PM

Yes, I'm not sure what it is. I got it delivered to my house from my co-workers as a get well gift There was no label.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:22 PM

That was nice of them. Hope you feel better. I know orchids always make me feel better
Old 11-28-2014, 06:57 PM
Senior Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,263 Times in 952 Posts
Fishmom is on a distinguished road
That is a really pretty phal! Agreed, it does look like some mechanical damage to the leaf happened earlier. Since it is mostly yellow now, you can trim it off without losing any function for the plant. Rubbing the cut edge with cinnamon wouldn't hurt either, just as a precaution to prevent any pathogens from infecting the plant.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fishmom For This Useful Post:
Mdon (12-23-2014)
Old 11-28-2014, 07:20 PM

Catsma_97504 is on a distinguished road
Agreed with the above. The overall plant appears healthy. As your plant is in a north facing window keep the shades/curtains open all day to give it as much light as possible. I have a couple of my phals in a WNW facing window and they are barely getting enough light.
Mdon (12-23-2014)
Old 11-28-2014, 09:07 PM

Should I cut off the whole leaf all the way to the base? Or can I leave it so it can fall off on its own? What do you think was that brown spot on the tip?

Ninja Phal - Yes, I feel much better, thank you! This orchid got me into orchids
Old 11-28-2014, 09:17 PM

Great! Have you gotten any more?
Old 11-30-2014, 02:48 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,285 Posts
mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
You can leave it and let it dry up and fall off on its own - it will.........
Gorgeous flowers......
Once its blooming cycle is over you will probably want to find a way to give it some additional light - more than northern exposure can provide - either move to another side of the house or get supplemental lighting..........
In the meantime.......Enjoy......and I hope you are doing well!
The Following User Says Thank You to mayres For This Useful Post:
Mdon (12-23-2014)