Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jerrymeola

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2014, 10:06 AM

Schoepp is on a distinguished road
Help with my Miltonia

I received the plant as a gift and it was covered up with sheet moss. When I took it out of the arrangement it was very wet, pseudo bulbs were brown, but it has good roots. I just have it sitting in a new pot letting plant dry out. How long before I put it in potting mix I am thinking a few days? I was going to use the same potting mix I use with my phals. Sorry I have tried to upload pictures but can't seem to get them to post. Thanks,
Calypso
Old 03-10-2014, 02:04 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,111 Times in 1,016 Posts
Leafmite is on a distinguished road
I don't know anything about these but I wish you luck!
Old 03-12-2014, 02:35 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,111 Times in 1,016 Posts
Leafmite is on a distinguished road
How is it doing? I tried to grow one once but it arrived from the vendor with a brown spot. I tried to treat it but, by the next day, the entire thing had turned brown. I haven't tried another though I have seen some that are absolutely beautiful.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:50 AM

Waldon78 is on a distinguished road
wish you luck!
Old 08-15-2015, 09:12 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,239 Times in 532 Posts
jerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond repute
Miltonia - they have a bad recommendation in Florida that they can not be grown here. Actually they can not be grown outside in summer heat. The plants must be kept under 80 degrees - so in Florida they are indoor plants, They can re-flower in window light. They can also be placed outdoors in the fall-winter.

They also must be kept moist. Drying out will destroy the plants much faster than other orchids.

I know and see the plants of every major grower in Florida and every Miltonia I have seen comes from a grower in Northern California who grows in soil. The American Orchid Socxiety Culture sheet on Miltonis states that they can be grown terrestrial.

I am testing several types of re-potting and lean to using Sphagnum for re-potting. Another grower in Hawaii pots Miltonia in bark, but they were never as healthy as the ones in soil. Soil only "seems" to work for me if I soak the plants. Top watering does not wet the soil to the bottom of the pot. An employee top watered while I was on vacation (3 weeks) and we lost half of 20 plants. Since then with soaking I have not lost any of the remainder or the 20 new ones.

I only started handling these plants this summer and have had only 200 plants to observe. I usually go through about 1000 plants before I think I know anything about any group. Keep in mind when you take any advice form anyone ask for reasons why the advice and their experience to justify the conclusions.
gingerhill likes this.
E-Jag (08-15-2015)