Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 04:42 PM

Ellezabella is on a distinguished road
Help with Gdlra Pacific Truffle Surrogate Star

I recently bought the above mentioned orchid from a grower. The leaves are really light green, with the pseudobulbs al light they are a greenish-yellow. They don't stand up, but lean & droop. The flowers are beautiful, though. It seems to me the plant sits up too high on the medium. When I asked the grower about the color of the leaves, she said, oh they all look like crap when thye bloom. I have never seen this before, so I was doubtful, but thought if I go tinto my own environment, it would darken up a bit. Today I noticed some brown underneath some of the leaves. Some just have some specks, but one has a long, wide striation under it. Does anyone know if this is normal? Thanks so much!
Old 07-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Executive Senior Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Dendian is on a distinguished road
Hi, and to the forum.

In order to see what you are talking about, a picture would be most helpful. Since I do not know if they have the photo attachments fixed you might have to use Photobucket or another free photo hosting website.

I have several Onc. types that are planted high in the pot - they are doing fine - sending out roots like crazy to get down into the media. Oncid leaves usually curve over they do not stand upright for long. However, I also have a plant that just finished blooming and yes - its leaves look awful - but its because I moved it away from its high humidity growing area to a less humid so I can see the blooms area.

Yellowing of leaves can mean (1) the plant is done with that leaf (old) or (2) the plant needs the nutrients of the leaf so uses it up or (3) there is something wrong with the base and the leaf has been disconnected and is dying or (4) there is something attacking the leaf (pests) and sucking all the life out of it.

You will need to do further investigation into the health of the pbulbs (plump and green (light green is ok) or yellow and shrively or brown and soft ). Green is good - yellow is being sucked out and brown is bad.

Let us know what you find..
Old 07-08-2011, 08:57 AM

Thanks Dian -

I will try to get a picture uploaded. I guess you are saying that I need some special software to upload to this site?
Old 07-08-2011, 09:55 AM
Executive Senior Member

dounoharm is on a distinguished road
posting pics is easy for me, i go to the 'go advanced' button, then use the paper clip addon to show a browse menu, find my pic, and there it is! you do not need special software to upload pics to the site....sounds like you have a case of 'oncidium spot' i call it....the leaves just look awful, but that goes with certain oncids.....they are still ok....post a pic so we can see...gl
Old 07-08-2011, 11:35 AM

OK, I'm going to try it right now...hope it goes to the right spot! Am looking for the "Go Advanced" tab...
Old 07-08-2011, 01:41 PM

Help with Gdlra

Can't get them to upload...!
Old 07-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Executive Senior Member

Dendian is on a distinguished road
You might want to try and upload again - I think they fixed the upload bug. That was why I suggested using a web based picture storage site - it was broken for awhile. Its best to re-size your picture before you load it - otherwise the attachments box will resize it for you - and mine takes awhile (no DSL).

Try it again - so we can help you.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:25 AM
Executive Senior Member

Greybeard is on a distinguished road
I can't help with your orchid but I might be able to help with the pic part When you go to your reply screen you'll see at the top where you are typing a little paper clip with a down pointing arrow, click on that and you can browse your pic files and add them to your reply. Your pics should be 800 x 600 pixels or less, it helps if you keep them small they load easier, so if needed resize them first, I just use windows paint in the computer Good luck, hope I helped