• 1 Post By Catt Mandu
  • 2 Post By Ron
  • 2 Post By katrina
  • 1 Post By Catt Mandu
  • 2 Post By katrina

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 06:13 PM

amybudorchids is on a distinguished road
Help-My leaves have silver/brown splotches!

Help--can't tell you how many Phals I thru away because I rotted them
! Don't know what I have on my leaves (probably more that 50 have this)!!
A silvery/brown markings mostly on the undersides of the leaves. Did have problem with mealy's-but I think they're under control as of now??

I'm growing them now in pro-mix with peanuts in the bottom of the pot. There are in 3 & 4" clear plastic pots that I grow under lights in my spare bedroom. During the summer the temps can get as high as 89 degrees!! But it drops in the 70's at night.

I use 2 tubes of T5's: one grow & one bloom in each fixture. There about 8-10" under the lights. I've been trying to let them dry out in this mix which I've been told from our orchid society. I did have a tendancy to over-water!

Thanks for any advice I can get!!
Attached Thumbnails
img_1393.jpg   img_1394.jpg  
Old 08-04-2013, 06:24 PM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,389 Times in 3,096 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
Looks like spider mite damage to me. Take a plain, white sheet of paper...place it under the leaf...tap the leaf...then smear your hand across the paper. If you see red/orange color streaks...you have mites. Do those steps in pretty quick succession because mites can move very fast.

If mites...and if on 50 plants...then you have a major infestation and your best bet it to get a miticide. As w/any insecticide(miticide)...follow the label instructions...stay on top of things and you should be able to get them stopped.

Do the paper thing...if you don't see those red/orange streaks then you're still likely dealing w/some kind of sucking insect and given your level of infestation, your best is bet is still going to be some type of systemic.

Also...if you have more than 50 plants...you'll want to treat everything that's near the affected plants or you'll risk re-infestation.
1joyceh and TigerIsland84 like this.
amybudorchids (08-05-2013), Catt Mandu (08-05-2013), Ladyofthelakes (08-06-2013), slc (08-05-2013)
Old 08-04-2013, 08:27 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 3,967 Times in 1,720 Posts
Ron is on a distinguished road
Hi as Kat stated looks like a very bad case of mite infestation, a product I like to use and is non toxic, is EcoOil, mixed with water as per instruction and spray at a strong streanght under and on the leaves,repeat ever 5 to 6 days for a month or so and fortnightly after that for a year or so.
make sure you spray benches, especially the joins and cracks where they can hide and all plants house in your room.
Often sold a gardens center premixed in a hand sprayer bottle as Eco-Rose spray etc, just asked the staff and tell them what you need it for.
It is made from canola and tea tree oil, I use it every week in summer on my Cymbidiums, Phallies< Paphs etc as a preventive spray, make sure you do under the leaves and on top.
Best of luck

My friend Missy
Good growing, Ron
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ron For This Useful Post:
amybudorchids (08-05-2013), katrina (08-05-2013), slc (08-05-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 09:34 AM

OMG--Really!! I taped the leaves on white paper & I didn't see any?
Could maybe anything else??

Thanks so much for your help!
Old 08-05-2013, 11:32 AM
V.I.P Member

Catt Mandu is on a distinguished road
My first thought on seeing the pictures was also spider mites.

Try the spider mite test on several affected plants. I think you will eventually see a "test positive" result. Either way, I would treat with a miticide of some kind (natural control or synthetic - up to you).

Sunburn is the only other thing I could think of that might cause damage like this, but I don't really think it's sunburn; my money is still on spider mites. Good luck!
TigerIsland84 likes this.
amybudorchids (08-07-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 06:30 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by amybudorchids View Post
OMG--Really!! I taped the leaves on white paper & I didn't see any?
Could maybe anything else??

Thanks so much for your help!
They, from the look of it have had a great feed and moved on, you would most like need a 4 to 6 x magnifying glass to see them, mine is with lights at about 20x and I only just can see them, but I am also old and wear glasses to see closeup.
It is the rasping effect they leave behind and if in a good feeding frenzy the just leave behind a skeleton of leaf structure before heading to the next green feeding lot
The EcoOil works by suffocation the little terrors

My friend Missy
Good growing, Ron
Old 08-06-2013, 10:27 PM

Ugly Phal leaves!!

Hi Ron - thanks for replying !! I had an experienced Phal grower come out to my house today & check out my Phals. She said not mites but mostly caused by the heat generated in my orchid room. As I mentioned b4, it gets to almost 90 degrees almost every day under lights. What gets me though😢is that the leaves don't feel that warm to me !! She said they would do best if I could put them in the basement. The only problem, though , is my basement has gotten 6-12" of water when we had heavy rains & the sewer backed up!!

An Idea I'm thinking of is using LED tubes?? Don't know what the temperature difference would be & if it would make that much difference?

The spare bedroom my light stands are in is the warmest room of the house - and the central air is on but it doesn't make a difference!!

Any ideas ?? Thanks!!!
Old 08-06-2013, 11:12 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

That is a funny answer, I have grown many thousands of Phallies in a greenhouse over the years, all from flasks.
In Australian summers we have day were temperature gets well over 115 F. day after days, the plants seem to grow an inch a day if looked after, only problem with heat can be dehydration due to low humidity, say be low 30%.
On hot days with my 2 misters running flat out I struggle to keep humidity about 45-50% and never seen a plant look like that of yours.
As for putting the in the basement, ! they are tropical growers that love heat and humidity.
Best I can help you with.
1joyceh and TigerIsland84 like this.

My friend Missy
Good growing, Ron
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron For This Useful Post:
amybudorchids (08-07-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 07:11 AM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I agree w/Ron. I have grown my orchids outside every Summer since I started growing orchids and temps in the 90's is very common for our Summers...never have I seen that sort of damage from heat. Never.
1joyceh and Catt Mandu like this.
amybudorchids (08-07-2013), Catt Mandu (08-07-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 08:51 AM

My Ugly Phal Leaves

Thanks!! So the lights versus outside temps at 90 degrees wouldn't make a difference?
I will try to get more pics (close up) - The damaged leaves are ugly not just the underside but the top side too!

Now that I think of it - I have been spraying Espoma Earth-Tone Insecticidal Soap for Mealy Bugs during the day when the temps high-could that have done it? Plus I remembered trying to kill a fly & kept squirting it with this spray while over some of the orchids. The directions just say not to spray during full sun. :question

Here are some more pics- took from my iphone

Thanks a lot!!
Attached Thumbnails
img_0012.jpg   img_0013.jpg   img_0014.jpg   img_0015.jpg  
Old 08-07-2013, 09:04 AM
V.I.P Member

Catt Mandu is on a distinguished road
Also agree with Ron - Phals are perfectly fine in 90+ heat, or I couldn't grow them in Georgia. Mine did well in temps peaking near 110 F last summer.
amybudorchids likes this.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Looking at your second set of pics...it appears that you have more than just one thing happening here.

The 1st pic is likely just normal leaf drop...probably. This happens most years...the plant will naturally drop it's lowest leaf. You have some rough looking roots there...hopefully those in the pot are in better shape.

2nd pic -- not sure why the leaves are so dark and dehydrated looking...could be too much light...might also be an issue w/the roots. I also see typical mite damage.

3rd - Classic mite damage

4th - mite damage on the bottom left leaf...maybe also some roots issues w/this one.

Mites will usually attack the lower side of a leaf (leaves) but because of their feeding habit (sucking the juices), the leaf will eventually also show damage on the upper surface of the leaf. That silvery appearance is exactly what you'll see.

Lights vs outside heat == I'm confused by your question here because these aren't an either/or situation. The plants need light...and in most instances plants will benefit from being outside during the warmer months. And it's not just about the light (although that is important)...it's everything that goes along w/being outdoors...temps (especially that day to night differential), breezes, rain...the whole being in nature thing. For someone who can't (for whatever reason) put their plants/orchids outside when it's warm...then under lights is the 2nd best option. Rest assured though...you plants don't look like they do because of 90 degree temps.

Do a bit of research on where many of our orchids come from...it gets really hot in some of those places...an intermediate to warm grower (like most phals) is going to feel right at home in 80-90 degrees. Even better if those high temps also come w/ high humidity. The one thing you don't want to do w/a phal in the Summer is put it in full afternoon sun. They can take a bit of early morning direct sun and/or evening direct sun (if acclimated to it) but full sun at Noon will burn the poor things up quickly.

Lastly, you mentioned that you've had a lot of trouble w/root rot. If so, then you might want to consider switching to a more airy medium that dries faster.
Catt Mandu and TigerIsland84 like this.
amybudorchids (08-11-2013), slc (08-07-2013)
Old 08-11-2013, 08:41 PM

Thanks Kat, I just seen your post now!! Wish me luck!!
Old 08-14-2013, 08:41 AM

lepetitmartien is on a distinguished road
You can check for spidermites with a cotton with alcool 70 on. Pass on the underside fo the leaf and check, if there's yellow to brown-reddish strikes you won.

You can safely attack headfront with an alcool/soap/water spray, and renew very day, the cycle of reproduction is completed in 7 days. If the spread is on multiple plants, an acaricide would do some good. Ray 'firstrays' has a sugar derived product of some interest. I don't know for the other options available in the US. Note that given the rate of renewing of generations of spidermites, they do develop resistance to common chemicals FAST, so I strongly counsel to have an organic or 2 strategies too for an attack with no prisoners.

Note that oils can arm orchids, remove a day afterwards to help the 'chids. I don't use these personally but it may help. Neem is preferred.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:49 PM

TigerIsland84 is on a distinguished road
This is 100% for sure, without a doubt, mites... You may not see them on these heavily damaged leaves... They move on to greener pastures after they are done inflicting this much damage... You need a miticide (if any of ur Phals are even still alive? *fingers crossed* ) the browning/yellowing is some type of secondary fungal and/or bacterial infection, caused by the mite damage. I know, because I have seen this firsthand, on a couple of my Phals last summer. You will also need to keep the leaves bacteria & fungus free until these places heal. (Phyton 27 would work well, it's systemic - I believe)

This stuff called Tetrasan, is what you would wanna use if you want them GONE it falls into the 'end-all' category... not necessarily dangerous, but not as kind as spraying with 'home remedies'... But it WILL get rid of them... ALL of them!! (& That is a wonderful thing! B/c these things are NASTY!!! ...esp. when the damage has gotten to this point... Which when you've never seen their damage before, it has to get pretty bad before you figure out what it is that's causing it (@ least that's the way it was for me, & sounds/looks like the same for you as well)) Whereas home remedies, at this stage, if they would do anything, would just keep the population down.
**Tetrasan is usually expensive, b/c it comes sold by the pound ~ 8 individual 2oz packs ~ (which none of us could use in our entire lives, much less inside a year or two), but there is one place I know of where u can order it from in small, cheap (& in legal) quantities. PM me if u want, cuz I don't think I can post it here? If I can, I'd be more than happy to post the source (with proper permission). I had heard about this stuff from some well-known growers, and some ppl on another forum found this source, a hydroponics store, that sells it in smaller quantities... Just one 2oz packet (instead of 8 ).

And Phals LOVE heat! mine start growing like crazy when I take them outside, into the (sometimes excruciatingly so ) muggy, hot southern summers we have