Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2010, 12:04 AM

mkees81 is on a distinguished road
Question help identify and treat dtps. sogo problem

pics of my dtps sogo manager roots that have white fuzzy stuff. I cut the spike after it turned brown and my other phal is already fully blooming-this one has grown great new leaves but has yet to produce any signs of new flowering
If anyone can help it would be much appreciated. Our other orchids are mostly doing great (atleast the phals which i will post pics of bc we have been getting multiple spikes from flowering spikes it seems)
Humble still considering myself a newbie,
Mkees81
Attached Thumbnails
0003dsc03825-2-.jpg   0005dsc03837-3.jpg   0004dsc03837-3-.jpg  
Old 11-12-2010, 01:06 AM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 5,451 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
Hi & welcome.

To me your phal looks good except that perhaps you might be keeping it a bit on the dry side. We've got some fantastic phal growers here and they'll be along soon to offer their opinions.
The Following User Says Thank You to kmarch For This Useful Post:
mkees81 (11-21-2010)
Old 11-12-2010, 01:42 AM
Executive Senior Member

Phalcycle is on a distinguished road
I agree with Kmarch,
There isn't a 'problem' with this phal. Just needs more water. I would cut off extremely dry roots such as those, because when they are that dry, I dont think you can bring them back to life. Keep it well watered, especially when in active growth, which yours seems to be in, with that gorgeous root growth

Everyday is a gift, thats why we call it the present
The Following User Says Thank You to Phalcycle For This Useful Post:
mkees81 (11-21-2010)
Old 11-12-2010, 02:33 AM
Executive Senior Member Photobucket

Thanked 2,306 Times in 796 Posts
orchidea is on a distinguished road
I would get it out of it's pot and check the roots inside.
I would worry that there is something wrong inside, being sitting in a glazed ceramic pot. Is it potted in this blue pot or in the plastic pot that sits inside this blue one?
The ceramic pot is retaining much more water for much longer than any plastic pot with slits. So even the moss and the roots appear to look dry at the top, doesn't mean that there isn't too much wetness inside, and even possible rot. I hope not.....But when you say "white fuzzy stuff", that worries me that it could be mold or rot.....
Phals don't mind repotting as much as some other orchids, and definitly shouldn't hurt to pull it out and check.
If I am right (I hope not) and you see mold or rot, I would repot into a plastic pot with slits. It will give you a goot chance to remove all dry and bad roots.

Last edited by orchidea; 11-12-2010 at 02:35 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to orchidea For This Useful Post:
mkees81 (11-21-2010)
Old 11-12-2010, 07:18 AM

Thanked 1,459 Times in 733 Posts
Stelios is on a distinguished road
Sphagnum is a much debated medium among us. Some swear on it and some (incl. myself) really hate it. Is your climate a bit dry? It looks a bit dehydrated. What I would advice is to repot it (i recommend a bark medium or bark with 20% sphagnum if you are in a dry area - not sure when Leeds is). What it would frther help would be either a humidity tray (a tray with gravel and water) under your deco pot or to mist your plant with a spray bottle every morning.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stelios For This Useful Post:
mkees81 (11-21-2010)
Old 11-12-2010, 12:14 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,583 Times in 929 Posts
mehitabel is on a distinguished road
I can'at really see the fuzzy white stuff, but having just recently found some mealies on the roots and medium inside a pot, I would say try to wipe the fuzzy off. Gently, with a very light hand, of course. If it smears brownish when you wipe it, it's mealies. If that's it, post again for advice what to do.

About your phal: you have some new leaves (Is the one on the right sunburnt or otherwise marked? Again, can't be sure). Also have new roots. So your Sogo Manager is growing.

About the blooming: In my experience, yellow phals with the ancestry of Sogo Manager tend to set spikes in spring, not in fall. Start looking for spikes as the light starts to increase in duration and intensity in Spring.

If it were mine, I would increase the light as much as possible now, to help it build itself up for a super dooper blooming next year. Sogo Manager can bloom on several spikes at once. Wouldn't hurt to repot. Phals get a 3-month boost from a repot, again to help get a bigger bloom. Then I'd start looking for spikes from app Feb on, as the light begins to increase.

Let us know how it all turns out.

Last edited by mehitabel; 11-12-2010 at 12:18 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mehitabel For This Useful Post:
mkees81 (11-21-2010), phal-newbie (11-12-2010)
Old 11-21-2010, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidea View Post
I would get it out of it's pot and check the roots inside.
I would worry that there is something wrong inside, being sitting in a glazed ceramic pot. Is it potted in this blue pot or in the plastic pot that sits inside this blue one?
The ceramic pot is retaining much more water for much longer than any plastic pot with slits. So even the moss and the roots appear to look dry at the top, doesn't mean that there isn't too much wetness inside, and even possible rot. I hope not.....But when you say "white fuzzy stuff", that worries me that it could be mold or rot.....
Phals don't mind repotting as much as some other orchids, and definitly shouldn't hurt to pull it out and check.
If I am right (I hope not) and you see mold or rot, I would repot into a plastic pot with slits. It will give you a goot chance to remove all dry and bad roots.
It's actually in the big blue pot which I knew very little about when I first did it. I'v listened to someone "knows so much that isn't so" and I think I let the scare of overwatering cause me to obviously get to the point where it's now very dry. I am going to repot it in a smaller plastic pot and take a look at those roots which I'v been putting off bc I fear I just don't know how to determine the health of the roots myself. I will take some pics to post when I take it out and hopefully all of the very helpful people here can point out what I've got going on. I appreciate all the great help from everyone and hope to report some good news/update soon!
Old 11-21-2010, 03:03 AM

Thanks to everyone's useful information. I will update soon!
Old 11-21-2010, 03:35 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,583 Times in 929 Posts
mehitabel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkees81 View Post
... I fear I just don't know how to determine the health of the roots myself.
Health and sick usually just scream out at you in a plant (and in humans, too). There are so/so situations, but at the extremes, you can't miss it.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:34 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 5,451 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
It's easy to tell a healthy root from a bad one. A healthy root sill be whitish or greenish, will be plump and firm, even crisp. A rotted root will be soft, grey, or blackish, mushy, will collapse if gently squeezed, and will pull away if tugged gently.
The Following User Says Thank You to kmarch For This Useful Post:
Phalcycle (11-22-2010)

Tags
mold, problems, roots