Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2009, 03:14 PM

allora is on a distinguished road
Help identifing bug and getting rid of it. Photo!

Attachment 16708I was able to get a photo of my bugs
Old 01-05-2009, 03:30 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 4,721 Times in 2,020 Posts
lmartiny is on a distinguished road
allora,
Your picture wouldn't open.
The Following User Says Thank You to lmartiny For This Useful Post:
allora (01-05-2009)
Old 01-05-2009, 09:51 PM

Photos of mystery bug

A couple of photos of my mystery bug. It it about 2mm long.
Attached Thumbnails
p1051736.jpg   p1051736_2.jpg  
Old 01-05-2009, 10:19 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 2,835 Times in 1,280 Posts
Anton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of light
Looks like a Mealy Bug to me, I think this variety is called something like a Long Tail or something similar.
The Following User Says Thank You to Anton For This Useful Post:
allora (01-05-2009)
Old 01-05-2009, 11:36 PM

Mystery bug

I don't see any of the usual white sticky fluff. It's not really flat like a pill bug more long and thin like a shrimp
Old 01-05-2009, 11:57 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 5,451 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
It looks more like a thrip to me. I have had good success getting rid of thrips with repeated applications of insecticidal soap. If that doesn't work, a good systemic will probably do the trick.
The Following User Says Thank You to kmarch For This Useful Post:
allora (01-06-2009)
Old 01-06-2009, 02:16 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

articuno75 is on a distinguished road
The Brookn's Recipe should work on this.

Okay I'm creeped out now. That is one freaky bug.

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed: in life that which is unnoticed has the most power.
The Following User Says Thank You to articuno75 For This Useful Post:
allora (01-07-2009)
Old 01-06-2009, 07:45 AM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,389 Times in 3,096 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
If it's in the medium...I say it's a springtail. There are soooooooo many different ones in the world...it's amazing.

Here's a link to a pic that looks really, really similar to your little bugger...
Springtail - BugGuide.Net

They are everywhere and believe it or not...they are usually associated w/a healthy eco system because they are one of the little guys that feed on decaying matter. Reasonable populations won't harm the orchids or any plants for that matter. BUT....if populations get really ,really high (#1 - medium is too wet if this happens) then they can potentially begin feeding on roots. Again, though, that is only when the populations get really high and if that happens it means the medium is too wet and with an orchid that would me root rot looooooong before those little guys had a chance to do much damage.

If, in fact, it is a springtail (I strongly think it is) then it is futile to try and eradicate them...just make sure you don't keep the medium too wet and they won't get out of control.
allora (01-07-2009), dounoharm (01-06-2009)
Old 01-06-2009, 10:14 AM

Greenhouse Gal is on a distinguished road
I agree with Katrina on this being a springtail. I also agree that control really only needed if you have massive numbers. Try a google image search for collembola, which is the insect order that covers springtails.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greenhouse Gal For This Useful Post:
allora (01-07-2009)
Old 01-06-2009, 10:45 AM

bloomorchidguy is on a distinguished road
I understand the mixed opinions here and agree it could be a species of springtails. But the interesting part in the identification process is the current lifecycle stage.

I'll have to agree with Kevin here in the direction of it being a thrip. Based on some of my lab research on orchid pests and population control in wet and dry conditions, I've seen similar bugs before.

This looks to me like a freshly hatched adult larva thrip. Adults emerge milky-white, but soon turn brown and begin feeding. The female is approximately 1.65 mm (.065")long and slightly larger than the male. The antennae are dark brown except for the 3rd segment which is light brown. The wings have a light tranverse band near the base. The egg is about 0.3 mm (.011") long, opaque white, smooth, and bean-shaped. Eggs are deposited in the leave tissue and sheath areas. The two larval stages are light yellow and are usually found beneath the leaves or bracts.The fully developed second instar larva is about the size of the adult. The first pupal stage is distinguished from the second pupal stage by having forward projecting antennae and short wing pads. The 2nd pupal stage, which is a quiescent period, has the antennae folded over the back and much longer wing pads.

I won't rule out a possible springtail larva either. Being both Thysanoptera (thrip family) and Collembola (springtail family) are very vast in size it could be either. But this bug has a few body parts that favor thrips.

A controlled test could be preformed with a plastic container and some leaf material, a spend flower, a live larva, and a bit of moisture added when the humidity gets low in the container. Basically nurse the larva to adult stage. Fully developed adult will reveal the true id of the insect.

Something to try if you truly want to know. That's the downside to working in a lab most of your life. You never stop searching for answers and always are making new discoveries!

Troy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bloomorchidguy For This Useful Post:
allora (01-07-2009), dounoharm (01-06-2009)
Old 01-06-2009, 04:18 PM

bemarine is on a distinguished road
Weird I saw one like that yesterday when I got home on one the leaves to, just haging out. I killed it. Never seen a bug on them till now. I check them constantly when home. I put my plants outside when I get home to get brighter light. Sometimes I think this may not be good for them. ??? Any opinions?
The Following User Says Thank You to bemarine For This Useful Post:
allora (01-07-2009)
Old 01-07-2009, 12:35 AM

More info on my mystery bug

I think I should have given a little more information on my bug. I believe that the larval form is more worm like and the photo is the adult which is dead in the photo. it is also floating in water from the saucer. I've also found them dead and dried up after they have crawled out of the saucer. They also move in the medium like a shrimp, rocking back and forth

Last edited by allora; 01-07-2009 at 12:39 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:55 AM

glossterline is on a distinguished road
I've just been looking at this thread and I'm a bit uncertain as to what Bloomorchidguy means by a freshly hatched adult larva thrip. Thrips hatch from an egg into a larva which then moults a few times before reaching the adult stage. So you cannot have an adult larva; it's either one or the other.
I suspect that the original insect is a Collembolan or springtail, as several people have suggested. It's also good to see that many people are happy to let springtails get on with their lives without wanting to exterminate! These guys do a great job in the recycling business.

Les