Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2008, 07:36 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,245 Times in 759 Posts
solay is on a distinguished road
Unhappy HELP! Another one's about to bite the dust.

Look at my poor Masd. 'Tinker Belles'. I don't know what happened. I lost one leaf the first day I got her (last Wednesday). It looked like it was bent and so the leaf died. I thought it was damage from the shipping.

Then this morning there were 3 leaves on the table that must have fallen off during the night.

If you look at the pics. you can see two more bent ones that almost looks like someone smashed the leaves with their fingers at the bottom making it wet and mushy. I removed them and sprayed some Bayer 3 in 1. I was thinking maybe I watered it too much on the first day so I put them in a tiny basket to help it dry out some. It kinda looks like rot or something. Now I have only 2 leaves left.

What do you think happened? Will it survive with just two leaves. Hope they won't fall off too. I'll find out tonight after work.
Attached Thumbnails
picture-003.jpg   picture-004.jpg   picture-005.jpg   picture-006.jpg  
Old 06-20-2008, 07:59 PM
Executive Senior Member

Sharyn is just fantasticSharyn is just fantastic
Solay: I don't grow any Masd. but it's unusual for the leaves to all fall off an orchid within a couple days. Are you sure that your plant wasn't already suffering from a fungal or rot problem when you got it? I think I'd call and see about a replacement.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:03 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Don't know. One leaf fell the first day. I got it from Joe and I don't think there's anymore. There was only 4 of them. POO!!!! I did give it a plenty of water that first day since it came in the mail. I hope it's not a fungal problem. I guess time will tell. Sigh...
Old 06-20-2008, 08:48 PM
Senior Member Photobucket

jbigio is on a distinguished road
Stop watering let it dry on the surface before watering agin. If the leaves left are good the plant should recover They all look great when the went out but the change in enviorment could cause a leaf shed. keep it where it will get plenty of air movement with temp aropud the low to mid 70's.
Let me know how it does.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:51 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

I'm hoping that's what it is. The other two did the same and I lost maybe 2-3 leaves on them too at first. Now they are doing OK and putting out new growth. I hope this baby does the same. Thanks.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:40 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 2,686 Times in 1,127 Posts
psyc1210 is on a distinguished road
I bet it'll come back. Just keep an eye on it, and don't overwater I didn't water mine on Wednesday. It was still semi damp. Not wet at all, just a little damp. And I figured it was a little more damp in the middle, so that it could wait for a day. After I got the tiny pot the next day, I watered it. Now today it feels damp so I'll probably water it again tomorrow. Good thing with this, it's easy to pop out of the pot and look at the tiny roots that are on the outside of the moss.

Hang in there little Masdie!!

Old 06-21-2008, 06:54 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,166 Posts
patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
OOOOh... I hope it holds on! Do you have a fan near it? I hope she turns around and gets used to the environment...
Old 06-21-2008, 10:31 AM
Executive Senior Member

coffeecup is on a distinguished road
I wonder if the heat got to it? The temperatures in our area have been insane...
Old 06-21-2008, 10:59 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by butt0n View Post
I wonder if the heat got to it? The temperatures in our area have been insane...
That's a possibility... Mine's in my basement under lights. It's pretty cool there. about 70. There's a fan going too. I've got my fingers crossed, Solay!
Old 06-21-2008, 12:07 PM
V.I.P Member

myorchid is on a distinguished road
How is the Madie doing today? We also had a hot day (80) and I think having the fan helps, though I have to water more frequently.

I hope it will be OK!
Old 06-21-2008, 12:17 PM
Executive Senior Member

coffeecup is on a distinguished road
I swear its 80 deg. here already...only 9:16 am
Old 06-21-2008, 05:23 PM
V.I.P Member

Mine lost a leaf today too. So you're not alone. The leaf that it dropped was one that had some small brown spots on it. So maybe it was just stressed

Old 06-21-2008, 11:22 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

articuno75 is on a distinguished road
I lost only two leaves from shipping. Mine's doing pretty good. Solay I'm wondering if you did over water it when you got it.??? Also do you water from the top or bottom? This could be just shock especially moving to extreme temp fluctuations. Keep an eye on it. Even if you lose the last leaf, treat it normally. New growth might pop out of it. (It did on my first Celtic Frost that I thought was a goner. )

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed: in life that which is unnoticed has the most power.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:44 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanks everyone. Jenny I think I did water it a tad too much the first day I got it thinking maybe it needed more due to the shipping. I lost another leaf today so I only have one now. I watered it from the top with a spray bottle. It has been very hot the last couple of days here. I say between 90-100 degrees. Well I will keep it until I'm sure it is dead dead dead!!! LOL!!!!
Old 06-24-2008, 11:34 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Now I'm down to none. I lost the last leaf today. I will keep it moist and see if anything will come up. Here's a pic. of it with just the mound left. Poor little thing.
Attached Thumbnails
masd..jpg  
Old 06-24-2008, 11:41 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

How sad... Maybe there will be a come-back. Do you have anywhere cool for it?
Old 06-25-2008, 12:06 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

It's cooled down quite a bit so I don't think the temp. is a problem now. I hope it recovers somehow. If not, I'll be in search of a replacement. It was too darn cute. Must have another!
Old 06-25-2008, 01:31 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket

brookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of light
Oh man, that bites. It was super cute too. Well I may join you in having an empty mound, as my Masde Celtic Frost is in a bad way also. I depotted it because I was losing a leaf here and there, but what got me suspicious was that I didn't have a successful new growth. They would rot. What I found in that pot made my stomach curl, just a mass of rot with a few good roots left. I have no clue why. Good airflow 24/7 with the leaves moving, water it when the skewer was cool and slightly damp. I think it doesn't like me! I hope that yours puts out a new growth for you. Maybe you could depot it and see what's going on under the sphag? I found a new growth buried in the sphag on mine when I repotted it.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:41 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Yeah, it was so cute. I find they are hard to grow. This is the third time now that I tried growing them. Every time they die. Although I still have 3 in decent shape. Good luck with yours Brookn. Hope it makes it.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:50 AM

brookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks, let me know when you figure out how to keep these alive lol. They say 3rd times the charm.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:09 PM
V.I.P Member

Mine lost two more leaves today. I will have to wait it out with you too solay. I hope they both pull through and keep growing for us. If not, then I'll make sure that I only get Masdies that like it warmer.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:28 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Oh no!!! That sounds bad. How many leaves are left? I hope it doesn't go bald like mine.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:02 PM

renata is on a distinguished road
Its a fungus!

Hi, Solay!
Sorry to hear about your plant, wish I saw this message sooner...I had a Blc. Goldenzelle with this problem, after a little research I found it was fungal problem....
The leaves bend even before yellowing and fall, because the problem comes from the rizome and go up the PB, cuting the nutrition to the leaf, that's why it falls...At the same time the rizome looks pale brown (see the photo)...
The name of the fungus is Rizoctonia solani and proliferates in high umidity conditions and maybe stress...Comes from soil or medium...Mine showed these signs after I gave too much water and raised the temperature without enough vetilation, the perfect environment for fungus, hehehehe....
If I were you, I'd keep that one away from the others, and I'd keep an eye on the healthy ones...Also apply anti-fungal products in all three....
I used Derosal (don't know the name in english), you could search the web for something similar...
Wish you have new growth on the little sick one,...Well, sorry for the bad news....
Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
fungal.jpg  

Last edited by renata; 06-25-2008 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:44 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Renata, thanks for that info. I was thinking something along that line. I did spray it with Bayer 3 in 1 but it didn't stop the leaves from continuing to fall. One of my Den. also got a mushy infection on the young growths. I removed and sprayed it too.
I will keep all the Masdies apart and see if anything happens.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:45 PM

Rocinante is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear that Solay. It seems like we're all having some problems with our Masdes. Never mind blooming, I just wanna keep 'em alive!
I have two, Masd. aquarius and a mini Masd. petroglossa. Slowly losing some leaves, but still hangin' tough. My Masdes gave me trouble from day one...
Old 06-25-2008, 08:48 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

John I agree. I tried growing them several years ago and all ended up dead. This is my 3 time trying. Maybe our conditions are not right for them or they are just very sensitive to the environment and humidity.

I hope yours pull through. The other 3 I have is not losing leaves so that's a good sign.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:53 PM

I noticed at the NY Botanical Gardens, that all their Masdes were encased in glass with dripping high humidity and fans blowing hard. Those were absolutely beautiful specimens!
Old 06-25-2008, 11:53 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Sounds beautiful. Got any pics.?
Old 06-26-2008, 04:42 AM

I got hundreds of pics of to Orchid show, but none of the encased Masdes because of outside light reflecting off the glass.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:59 AM

Cynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond repute
I heard of someone using a double pot system where they had the outer clay pot sitting in water, but the inner pot was higher and did not wick up the water. The outer pot was possibly in contact with the outer or very nearly so, such that the root system was kept cool, and that made a Big difference, since the person I heard this from lived in Phoenix, AZ (110-120F max in summer) and was not able to keep the interior of the GH below about 90/95F.

I had a mass extinction (of pleurothallids) about a year ago. All, warm and cool, took a hit. Oddly enough, it was some of the Masdies that survived. Angulata, barlaeana, and civilis survived, so I am assuming these are very tough.

Prescott Orchid Society