Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By orchidaddict789

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2005, 09:43 PM

orchidaddict789 is on a distinguished road
Fungal Leaf Spot Picture

This is a fungal leaf spot, which got me scared but later found out it was fungus. Sprayed it to get it under control. Just if you're curious about how fungus looks like. This is one example from a poor oncidium...

empress likes this.
empress (04-04-2012)
Old 08-30-2006, 02:28 PM

rlrugh is on a distinguished road
I have two new orchids that just about one month ago, started getting these same spots, and now one of the leaves, on one of the orchids is turning yellow. What kind of spray do you use to cure this. I couldn't find a orchid fungal spray, so bought a spray called fungicide 3 made for roses, houseplants, and ornamentals. Will this do the trick, and if it is fungal, should I keep these two new orchids, away from my other one which is very healthy? Thank-you in advance for any help!
Old 08-31-2006, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Cynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond repute
If you can easily afford the loss of leaf area, you can cut the worst portions off and dispose of the spotted material, so that it won't spread sores around. Just be sure that you use a sterilized tool to do the cutting. Heat the blade, or soak it for 20 minutes in a fresh 10% bleach solution, or in a saturated solution of trisodium phosphate (not a TSP substitute). Don't use alcohol. Cynthia
Old 08-31-2006, 08:43 PM

Thank-you Cynthia. I am new at growing orchids, but so far have had good luck, and I just love them. By your message, it sounds as if this problem can spread over the plant, or to other orchids. Is that right, and in your opinion, is the fungal spray I am useing going to work? Thanks, Lauren
Old 08-31-2006, 11:18 PM

Cynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond repute
I have never seen fugal sprays make much of a difference. This doesn't mean they don't work, it is just that this is one of those 'closing the barn door after the cow gets out' kind of things. If there are no further spots developing after you spray, is it because you sprayed, or because you were more careful in other ways? Fungus is pretty much everywhere, so the best defense is a healthy plant. Cutting off some of the leaves with a high density of spots will reduce the number of spores a little, but probably not much of a dent, that is why I only suggest it if the plant will not miss the leaf area. Because a health plant usually can fend off the spores, sometimes what you are seeing is older leaves that the plant is about to cast off developing spots because the plant is no longer working to defend against the spores. So don't worry too much about the spots.

Talking about healthy plants being immune to fungi spores, remember to mist or water only in the morning so that the leaves are dry when the temperature starts to fall, and don't let plants get colder than they are designed to get. These are the cultural things that make the biggest difference in plants succumbing to fungal attack. Cynthia
Old 09-02-2006, 12:14 AM

Thank-you so much Cynthia for your quick reply. You have made me feel so much better. I want you to know that I appreciate you taking the time to help me, and others. I visited your webpage yesterday, and was completely taken away by all the beautiful orchids you have, and the photography was wonderful. I will let you know how the orchids do. Thank-you again. Lauren
Old 09-02-2006, 11:51 AM

My site will be up dated in a week or so, and I will announce it then. There will probably be double the number of pictures, and a lot will be removed, as a few kicked the bucket, but mostly a lot were removed from my collection because they were infected with virus. Cynthia
Old 01-10-2007, 12:33 PM

snowflake is on a distinguished road
SMC or SM90 both work really well at killing fungus when used as a foliar spray..
Old 11-23-2008, 11:10 AM

sarahj is on a distinguished road
Black spots--a little different

orchid-black-spots.jpg

I thought I would post this picture just because the black spots on my brassia leaves look a little different from these. Is it sunburn or fungus? If it's fungus would you recommend the typical fungus treatment? I've removed quite a few leaves already with these spots. Thanks for your help.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:36 PM

GeaugaKathy is on a distinguished road
I acquired a dendrobium with the same spots. The newest leaf just developed spots too. here are front and back views of the same leaf.

Dendrobium new spots 001 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Dendrobium new spots 001 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This is what one of the main leaves looked like when I got the orchid about 6 weeks ago. No change since then.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2527323...n/photostream/

I've read about using SMC90 - Is that sold as Neem Oil?
What about products containing Etridiazole?

I've moved it away from my 2 phals.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:10 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,030 Times in 630 Posts
digitalgate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeaugaKathy View Post
I acquired a dendrobium with the same spots. The newest leaf just developed spots too. here are front and back views of the same leaf.

What about products containing Etridiazole?

I've moved it away from my 2 phals.
you can't use Etridiazole on leaf spot. A more broad spectrum fungicides like
carptan/ mancozeb/ Thiaram works better.
if you want something that target spot fungus Thiophanate-Methyl + Chlorothalonil would be a better choice.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:12 AM

GeaugaKathy is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the product information.

Am I right to assume it's fungal?