Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2011, 09:15 PM

chidfix is on a distinguished road
Encyclea with a mushy pseudobulb

My Encyclea cochleata is now in bloom. It had two spikes blooming but the leaves on one of the spiking pseudobulbs have turned yellow and fallen off and the spike is now all dried up Today I notice the pseudobulb is turning brown and getting mushy! Should I cut off the mushy bulb. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
mail.jpg  
Old 09-16-2011, 09:18 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 5,450 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
Are you sure it's Pros cochleata? It doesn't look quite right to be that.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:27 PM

orchidaddict789 is on a distinguished road
If it's getting mushy, better cut off the mushy part with a sterilized blade. Be sure to cut into good tissue, because the rot can spread quickly. Then sprinkle with cinnamon and put the plant in a place with good air circulation.

By the way, I've seen cochleatas with elongated pbulbs, but the one I got from a grower in Hawaii has short, round-ish bulbs that look like the picture above.

Last edited by orchidaddict789; 09-16-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarch View Post
Are you sure it's Pros cochleata? It doesn't look quite right to be that.
Yes Encyclea Cochleata
Encyclia cochleata | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 09-16-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidaddict789 View Post
If it's getting mushy, better cut off the mushy part with a sterilized blade. Be sure to cut into good tissue, because the rot can spread quickly. Then sprinkle with cinnamon and put the plant in a place with good air circulation.

By the way, I've seen cochleatas with elongated pbulbs, but the one I got from a grower in Hawaii has short, round-ish bulbs that look like the picture above.
Thanks for the intell and Yes mine was also purchase from kawamoto in Hawaii. Should I cut it completely off or just the mushy part. Any idea what caused this.

Last edited by chidfix; 09-16-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:56 PM

orchidaddict789 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidfix View Post
Thanks for the intell and Yes mine was also purchase from kawamoto in Hawaii. Should I cut it completely off or just the mushy part. Any idea what caused this.
Ah I guessed right! Mine was also in a basket like yours.

Can't tell too clearly from the pic...if the whole bulb is mushy, you should cut it completely off. It looks like the rot has extended from the top of the bulb to the bottom?

It happens. Soft rot is caused by a fungus called erwinia (probably other types of fungi cause soft rot too, but this is the one I know about), which spreads by water splashing around. It's possible your plant was wet during the evening or night. I've had it happen to many of my orchids, especially this summer for some reason...

Good luck!
Old 09-17-2011, 07:35 AM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,389 Times in 3,096 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
If all of your pbulbs are that shriveled and wrinkled...there's a problem. Enc...now Prosthechea (Psh) cochleata should have very plump, full pbulbs.

It's either a case of over-watering and the roots are not in the best shape or the plant is being underwatered.

I found it liked a good deal of water but it needed to drain rapidly. Check your roots if you haven't done so lately.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:29 AM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,111 Times in 1,016 Posts
Leafmite is on a distinguished road
I agree. Check the roots. If they are outside the basket and dry, try to hydrate them. If in the basket, they might have rotted away. If the roots are rotted, try a large, chunky medium like CHC or lava rock in a pot with holes or slits in the sides or a plastic net pot. Cut off anything rotted and keep in a warm, dry place. Don't wait until it is done blooming.
Good luck,
Leafmite