Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2006, 01:31 PM

Willc73 is on a distinguished road
eaten alive

My orchids are getting eaten alive. I thought is was snails because I have found a bunch, however I have put snail bait everywhere and haven't seen any for a few days. I am still getting holes in the leaves and flowers. Any idea of what is could be?
Old 08-28-2006, 06:06 PM

eikon is on a distinguished road
it could be meal-worms or caterpillars, i have a real problem with caterpillars on my basil and pink polka-dot plants, though they haven't touched my orchids. the real pain about it is, one caterpillar can destroy an entire plant, and you may never even see him
Old 09-02-2006, 11:20 PM

esmithlp is on a distinguished road
Aphids can be a problem. Lady Bugs do well to rid these pesky little creatures. If you don't want Lady Bugs you can use Talstar 1 which can be got from your local "bug man" if you know him well enough. Use only 1/2 oz. per gallon to mix and only use a small amount after it is mixed. I am not a fan of pesticides but if you don't want lady bugs around this is your best bet.

In Liberty, peace and love,
Eric H. Smith
Old 09-03-2006, 02:44 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Cynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond repute
I'm affraid you plant may be more enticing than the bait. Put a few desert dishes of beer around to see if you get any takers. They usually go in and get drunk and drown, tho I had a few slugs that stretched their way out of the bowl. My best experience for getting rid of slugs was to spread a whole lot of diatomaceous earth (DE) from a pool supply all around. A ziplock baggy with holes in it works real good. Killed an entire greenhouse's worth of slugs over night. But, you must use a dust mask if you go the DE route. Cynthia
Old 09-11-2006, 09:23 PM

flaorchidfan is on a distinguished road
i would drink the beer while you go the DE route. that way everybody is happy and you get rid of the little slugs