• 1 Post By jayfar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2013, 01:21 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 3,231 Times in 1,555 Posts
BGGraham1 is on a distinguished road
Did I buy the wrong one?

Hi all! I've chosen today to do battle with some monsters in the greenhouse, but i may have chosen the wrong weapon. This is what I got:

But in reading the instructions, it says "Do not treat plants grown in pots, flower boxes or other containers"

Is there another one specifically used for potted plants, or is this the right one? Help !!

http://brigittesorchids.blogspot.com/
Old 09-21-2013, 01:32 PM

Nexogen is on a distinguished road
You can do an experiment, just one plant; if few days later the plant is live it’s a good weapon.
BGGraham1 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nexogen For This Useful Post:
BGGraham1 (09-21-2013)
Old 09-21-2013, 02:25 PM

slc is on a distinguished road
I would be concerned about the fertilizer. The product I bought to fight scale on one of my Catts is Bayer Advanced 3-in-1 Insect, Disease, & Mite Control. It's in a bottle that is supposed to be attached to a hose, but there are instructions for diluting it in a small spray bottle. 1 oz. product / 48 oz. water
BGGraham1 likes this.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:25 PM

mrhappyrotter is on a distinguished road
I still have an old container of the 3-in-1, I never noticed that statement, I may need to go pull it out of storage and check. I almost never use pesticides, and when I do, I use them very sparingly.

That being said, I've treated terrestrial orchids (in pots) with the 3-in-1, I've also treated a myriad other potted plants with it over the years. I've not seen any harmful effects to the plants from it. Again, I also used it very sparingly ... a tiny sprinkle on the top of the soil, watered in.

Maybe the warning isn't related to detrimental effects to the plants, but the fact that you tend to be in closer contact with potted plants (watering, repotting, etc) and therefore are at a much greater risk of exposure to the pesticides?
Old 09-21-2013, 03:01 PM
Executive Senior Member

hera is on a distinguished road
I use Bayer Rose and FLower but not the fertilizer. The fert combo may be too much for the orchids. What I use comes in a spray bottle ready to go. If you decide to use it start on a plant that you are willing to lose.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:07 PM

jayfar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGGraham1 View Post
Hi all! I've chosen today to do battle with some monsters in the greenhouse, but i may have chosen the wrong weapon. This is what I got:

But in reading the instructions, it says "Do not treat plants grown in pots, flower boxes or other containers"

Is there another one specifically used for potted plants, or is this the right one? Help !!
I see the cause of confusion: That's Bayer "All in one," with a subtitle of "3 Systemic products in 1."

You want Bayer "3-in-1 Insect, Disease & Mite control," which doesn't contain fertilizer.

Amazon.com : Bayer 701290B 3-in-1 Insect Disease & Mite Control Ready-to-Use - 24 oz. : Patio, Lawn & Garden
BGGraham1 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayfar For This Useful Post:
BGGraham1 (09-21-2013)
Old 09-21-2013, 11:38 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,111 Times in 1,016 Posts
Leafmite is on a distinguished road
I use this for my roses. I have used this in potted plants that are tolerant of salt or high levels of fertilizer (hibiscus, plumeria) but anything that is fertilizer/salt sensititive would suffer. It is granular, dissolves slowly, and takes a couple of weeks to get drawn into the plant. I wouldn't recommend it for plants with a fast-draining medium or that prefer lower levels of fertilizer. Hope this helps.