Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2008, 08:51 PM

slippery_biscuit is on a distinguished road
Diatomateous earth

I was curious if anyone has tried and/or otherwise has any comments about using this. I read where it was one option to handle earwigs, amongst other nefarious critters.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:31 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 3,967 Times in 1,720 Posts
Ron is on a distinguished road
Diatomiuns earth?

Hi Slippery bisvuit.
I have use Maidenwell Diatomite in my mix for several years now.
I find it helps hold open the potting mix (bark) as the bark ages, is lightweight and is porous so as to hold a small amount of water.
i use the same size Diatomite as the bark.in the Mix

Below info off thier website at

http://www.maidenwell.com/documents/...enwellmsds.doc “Maidenwell

Diatomite” is a rich source of plant available silica which is widely documented to stimulate Self Acquired Resistance (SAR) in plants thereby increasing their resistance to disease. Maidenwell Diatomite consists of the skeletal remains of microscopic single cell aquatic plants known as diatoms. These small plants developed an opaline silicious shell like armour for protection, upon the death of these plants the fossil shells accumulated on the beds of these fresh water lakes and compacted into lightweight porous rock.

Cheerio
Ron ITS raining outside and my rainwater tank is finally filling.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:39 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 2,686 Times in 1,127 Posts
psyc1210 is on a distinguished road
I don't use diatomite in my mix or media, but I do use it for my little trays underneath my pots, to hold some water and increase humidity.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:09 PM
Executive Senior Member

patlee is on a distinguished road
In the garden, it's great for slugs and snails (any soft-bodied critter). I sprinkle it around my hostas and at the base of small tomato plants--cutworms can't handle it. In the house, the shards of silica do a job on the likes of silverfish...

PAT
Old 06-03-2008, 03:07 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket

Cynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond repute
The powdered stuff from a pool supply worked well on my now non-existent slug population. Someone I know tried it on sow bugs without success.

Prescott Orchid Society
Old 06-04-2008, 12:57 AM

slippery_biscuit is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info... The bag I found in the garage (I guess I must have bought it last year, I love gett'in old) is quite powdery. I'll sprinkle some around and see what happens. It says it works best if kept dry. That will be the tricky part. I think we have just had an inch of rain in the last 12 hours. Would love to send some of this down under....
Old 06-05-2008, 04:12 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

articuno75 is on a distinguished road
The powder is what I used years ago for the kennel. Great on killing fleas It breaks down and cuts the exoskeleton on hardshell insects, dehydrating and killing them from the outside in. You can literally watch bugs fall apart. Gross, but effective. Sprinkle this around for ants, roaches, fleas,,,,anything hardshell. I would mix this with some baking soda and use it in the house for the carpets with the pets. Awesome stuff.

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed: in life that which is unnoticed has the most power.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket

Cynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond repute
Having it wash away could be a problem, but just getting it wet as a problem seems to me to be an old wives tale. I use it on the floor of my GH and never worry about watering, and it works. Don't think I'd hesitate to use it on pot tops and wash it in.

Prescott Orchid Society