Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2006, 03:25 AM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 2,835 Times in 1,280 Posts
Anton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of light
Dendrobium Leaf Problem

I have just noticed some stange markings on my indoor Dendrobium.

Image 1 is the top of a leaf, and Image 2 is the underside of the same leaf, and Image 3 is a different leaf showing little holes appearing along the leaf.

These changes are on several leaves, and they either have those little "dots", or little holes, but not both on the one leaf.

Are there 2 different things going on here, or are these inter related ?
Attached Thumbnails
dendrobium1.jpg   demdrobium2.jpg   dendrobium3.jpg  
Old 08-31-2006, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket

Cynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond repute
Are these relatively old leaves? Dens don't keep their leaves very long, and this mixed bag of sumptoms may just be the aging of the leaves. Cynthia
Old 08-31-2006, 06:19 PM
V.I.P Member

Anton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of light
I am not sure how old the plant is Cynthia, I purchased it at an orchid show about 3 to 4 years ago.

I have included 2 photos showing the entire plant from the side and top. The bark looks dry, but infact is quite moist from 1" down.

Do these pictures shed any light on it for you ?

I am off to the Royal Adelaide Agricultural and Horticultural Show (similar to your country fairs, but is for the whole state )today to see the orchid displays and hopefully pick up a chocolate cym and anything else that takes my fancy.

Sunday is Father's Day here in Australia, so, what better time to go ?
http://www.adelaideshowground.com.au/show/index.htm?

If you like I could post some images of the displays if anyone is interested.
Attached Thumbnails
den1.jpg   den2.jpg  
Old 08-31-2006, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket

Cynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond repute
Your Dendrobium looks like kingianum or one of its hybrids. The one spotted leaf I can see in your pictures looks like an older leaf. You can tell how many years old a growth is by counting backwards from the newest growth, counting the new one as zero years old. Since the plant grows as a chain of growths, one new one each year, following the chain backwards. This may be diffficult to do on a kingianum because the growths are so close together. If you have marks on the leaves of new growths, or one year old material, you want to look for external causes. Spots are normal on older leaves getting ready to fall off. Cynthia
Old 09-01-2006, 03:08 AM
V.I.P Member

You are correct Cynthia it is a kingianum. Yes, they are close.

I have just returned from the Royal Adelaide Show with a chocolate cym. Finally got one for my collection.

I also found out that what I thought was my Cattleya is in fact a Zygopetalum...... Doh ! / The shape of the leaves is what threw me.

My wife got into the spirit too and bought 2 Australian native miniatures.

I have plenty of photos of the displays including some of the champion orchids.