Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2011, 02:12 PM
Anky

Coelogyne Martae got spots (Is this a virus?)

I dont know what is causing this black spots on some leaves with yellow rings around it(I read from some postings of members that black spots with yellow rings is a sign of virus) Do I burn, incenerate and cremate this plant so it cant contaminate others?
Also notice the white mappings on the pseudo bulbs. Does it have a fungus? it is also present in the roots.
Otherwise it is continuosly producing new shoots...
Attached Thumbnails
coelogyne-marthae.jpg   002.jpg   003.jpg  

Last edited by Anky; 06-26-2011 at 02:24 PM. Reason: spellings
Old 06-26-2011, 07:22 PM
Executive Senior Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Greybeard is on a distinguished road
To be honest I'm not real sure on this one, I have not had to deal with a fungus problem, knock on wood, the first thing I would do if there is any doubt is quarintine the plant asap. Next try to find more threads on fungus problems but also bacterial infections as well, I know peroxide mignt work if it is bacteria and I'm pretty sure there are fungicides out there too. With any luck a more knowledgable member will be to help with this as I do not want to steer you wrong. The plat looks pretty good for now and new growth at least means if it is sick it is fighting to live. Good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Greybeard For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2011, 01:37 AM
Executive Senior Member

terra_australis is on a distinguished road
Nah, just looks fungal to me... I had a bunch of my plants exhibit these symptoms a couple of days after moving them into my greenhouse. I think it was just a bit too hot and humid during the day and too cold and stagnant at night. Try to increase air movement so that condensation doesn't sit on the leaves..
Greybeard (06-27-2011)
Old 06-27-2011, 01:40 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 4,422 Times in 3,810 Posts
orchids4me is on a distinguished road
To me this appears to be a fungal/bacterial issue.
A good sestemic will help. Physan 20 perhaps.
Tell us how you are growing this... Environmental conditions light- window/fixtures, air movement, temps day/night, humidity levels. Are you growing it indoors or out doors? We may beable to help you make adjustments here if needed that caused this to arise.
Those also may have been older big bites that became infected... Did you have a prior problem or current problem with any bugs ?

Daisy 2003 -2013
Life is too short.... Buy more orchids!!!!

Emmaye

Last edited by orchids4me; 06-27-2011 at 01:42 AM. Reason: add more
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to orchids4me For This Useful Post:
Greybeard (06-27-2011)
Old 06-27-2011, 02:37 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 5,449 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: the leaves, it's not viral. At least I'd be astounded if it was. These just aren't virus symptoms. Treat with a fungicide of you wish and increase air circulation around your plant.

Re: the name, there's no plant by the name of Coelogyne Martae. Could it possibly be Coelogyne marthae (note spelling and capitalization)?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kmarch For This Useful Post:
Greybeard (06-27-2011)
Old 06-27-2011, 03:05 AM
Anky

you are right KMARCH I just dont know how to spell heh...Emmaye; it is indoors and by the window sill above the kitchen sink east sun...very humid if I cook and I water this only if it is about to get dry; I dont let it get bone dry at all...the medium is packed tight and finer than my catts and my phals...maybe I will replant it and put a sterile medium then spray it with the "best stuff ever". I bought a couple of virus tester kit from Ebay arriving in 2 days...just to have a peace of mind...
Old 06-30-2011, 10:23 PM
Anky

WHEW! Negative on the virus test kit ! YEEEY! My neem oil arrived and I painstakingly wiped the leaves front and back with the help of cotton balls; the media and the pseudobilbs are doused by the oil and I ran water over it on the sink to let the oil go to the very bottom of the pot...I put it a few feet away from the window sill to deflect sunburn and wait for the best !
Old 07-01-2011, 02:36 PM

orchidaddict789 is on a distinguished road
It's a fungal problem. I've the exact same thing happening to my zygopetalum leaves, and I cut off the worst affected areas and sprayed with fungicide.