Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2010, 05:17 AM

Aleksa is on a distinguished road
Cattleya problems

Hi people! I've been busy with college for a while, but I'm back again.

I've been growing this catt, for a few years and plant grew extremely well. It bloomed every autumn, with lots of flower stalks. I wasn't home for about year and my mother took care about the plant. When I arrived, plant seemed to be just fine, so I repotted it in larger pot like this http://www.hidroponika.com/slideshow...24020a4c8c1410

I didn't disturbed a root ball (which was incredibly compact and tight), so I just added more media around old roots. I used mix of coco chips, and clay pellets.

I placed it on a highest shelve in a greenhouse so it could get more light. After a few days I noticed a few sunburnt leaves. I removed them and placed the plant on a shadier place. Since than, plant virtually stopped growing, I noticed little black spots on almost every leaf, and some larger infection on another leaves. There are the pics. I'm thinking about fungal infection.

One more thing, temperatures are extremely high these days, about 40 degree Celsius, which might have influenced on infection spreading.

Is there anything I can do? I really wouldn't like to loose this plant since it was my healthiest, biggest and strongest orchid.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
dscf0810.jpg   dscf0811.jpg   dscf0812.jpg   dscf0813.jpg  
Old 07-23-2010, 05:57 AM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,030 Times in 630 Posts
digitalgate is on a distinguished road
look like your plant is suffering from spider mites. You might want to use a tissue and wipe the leaf and see if the "dust " is red or yellow. Look carefully and see if the dot is moving.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:20 AM

Yvonne is on a distinguished road
It does look like sunburnt and a dose of spider mites too. Good luck. Did you rinse the coco chips well, they tend to contain a high percentage of salt. I have been told to soak them, then rinse them. All the best.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 4,422 Times in 3,810 Posts
orchids4me is on a distinguished road
I see sun burnt, are there any tiny webs? Good thing you took it out of direct sun. If plants are not originally in full sun you have to do it gradually so they adapt if are not use to it. Get some air flow around it to help prevent fungal infection.
Emmaye

Daisy 2003 -2013
Life is too short.... Buy more orchids!!!!

Emmaye
Old 07-24-2010, 03:36 PM
Member Photobucket

11Orchid126 is on a distinguished road
It looks like a bit of sunburn, fertilizer residue, and mites. Take a damp cotton ball and wipe the underside of the leaves. If you see specks, you have spider mites. You will need a miticide especially for spider mites. An insecticide won't kill them. Use it three times, seven days apart, and be sure to treat the medium as eggs lurk there.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:51 PM

Aleksa is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys! No, there are no spider mites, I double checked, those spots are coming from within the leaf, they remind me on fungal and bacterial infections on Phalaenopsis. I've had a few cases like this, and my experience tells me that I cannot do much. Fungicides are usually not effective against this, 'surgery' only seems to help. I'll probably remove infected leaves and hope that other spots do not start to spread. If they start, the plant is dead...
Old 07-24-2010, 07:57 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,166 Posts
patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
Aleksa! Hi!! It's good to hear from you! I hope school is going well for you. The sudden increase in light can burn a catt pretty fast.
Is there good air circulation up where it was?
I would say that you could move it back there, but gradually. Having just re-potted it, the roots hadn't had a chance to grab hold of their new environment yet. You may have to water the edges a little more often where the new mix is. (Just until the roots start to grab hold)
We've had really hot weather here, too. Mine have needed a little more water to keep up with the heat, and a little more air circulation to keep the humidity from being so intense that nasty stuff can start growing.
Take care, and happy growing! Give your mom a hug for taking care of your chids while you were away, too!