Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2008, 07:13 AM

bast is on a distinguished road
Carnage on roots

Last morning i found something very ugly on one of my plant, gongora tricolor. Lets my know if some of you have any ideas to help me saving this futur beautyfull plants. I put picture, i thing picture was a better teh my english to expose the problems!!

I think the beattles on the left was a good canivor, but maybe the right one was the problems!
Old 06-30-2008, 07:55 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 4,326 Times in 1,614 Posts
Orchidementia is on a distinguished road
It looks like most of the damage is to the velamen (the sponge-like covering of the root), which is not good, but it is not terrible either; the root is still intact.

If it were my plant, first I would try a mix of 1 part rubbing alcohol, 3 parts water and 1 tablespoon liquid soap mixed together and sprayed on the insects; I have found this kills anything I have ever found on my plants, including bush snails.

If I saw anything the next day, I would remove the potting media, throw it away and repot with fresh media. But that's me; others may have better ideas. No matter what, you and your plant have my best wishes!
Old 06-30-2008, 08:05 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,239 Times in 532 Posts
jerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond repute
I agree the first solution is to kill the insects and let the plant heal.

I might add a little cinnamon extract to the alcohol-water-soap mixture. It is a natural fungicide and will prevent any additional infection in the open wounds.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:52 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 5,451 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrymeola View Post
I agree the first solution is to kill the insects and let the plant heal.
To clarify one of Jerry's points, I think what he means is to 1) get rid of the insects (they look like roaches to me), and 2) give the plant good culture so it may grow new roots.

Orchids don't "heal." The damaged tissue will not regrow. The damaged roots will eventually rot away but new ones can grow to replace them.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:24 AM
Executive Senior Member

Hummer344 is on a distinguished road
I think that I would re-pot the plant just to get the critters out. Scrub out the pot to make sure that there are no eggs left over. Spray the plant with the previously mentioned solution. This will give you a fresh start. I would cut off any affected roots while re-potting
Old 06-30-2008, 03:40 PM

made4engineering is on a distinguished road
They look like springtails to me. They happen when the soil is WAY too wet. Also, that root is dead, dead, dead.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by made4engineering View Post
They look like springtails to me. They happen when the soil is WAY too wet. Also, that root is dead, dead, dead.
I think you got'it. I check on the net and i found this other web What's That Bug? Springtails! and you know it look like the same beattles, some type of a springtails. Let's me know how kill that S... and what type of treament i have to do on the entire collection!!
Old 07-01-2008, 04:30 PM

made4engineering is on a distinguished road
I noticed in both of those pictures, everything was sopping wet. That is your problem.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:38 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,030 Times in 630 Posts
digitalgate is on a distinguished road
the one on the right look like termite. The bite mark look typical of a termite bite mark as
well. (i look hope i am wrong)
Old 07-01-2008, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket

Cynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond repute
Not only too wet, but you have a very bad load of algae, and I find that the algae kills roots. I have taken to spraying the tops of my plants with bleach solution to kill the algae, and am experimenting with concentrations to see what kills the algae, and leaves the plants unharmed.

Prescott Orchid Society
Old 07-01-2008, 07:38 PM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,389 Times in 3,096 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
I agree w/the Springtail ID. I has a monster infestation of ...at the time I had no idea what... in some tropical houseplants a few years back and it sent me on a search. Your little critters look exactly the same to me.

What I found out...they are more annoying than harmful...in most situations. For the most part, in regular soil type plants and outdoors in our gardens, they are an indication of a health eco-system. HOWEVER...their being in your orchid pot could be a possible indication of too much moisture.

Here's a great link to learn more...
http://agrilifebookstore.org/tmppdfs...c5e3c87d541858

Hope this helps!
Kat ~

Last edited by katrina; 07-01-2008 at 07:42 PM. Reason: missed words in explanation
Old 07-02-2008, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia, Prescott, AZ View Post
Not only too wet, but you have a very bad load of algae, and I find that the algae kills roots. I have taken to spraying the tops of my plants with bleach solution to kill the algae, and am experimenting with concentrations to see what kills the algae, and leaves the plants unharmed.
You daid algae can kill roots? So if you want to kill algae use a algaecide, solution made to o kill algae! I thing that exist for hydrophonique. We can use'it! And i will searching for some information about algae effet with other people who using the same cultural media, wool rock.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrina View Post
I agree w/the Springtail ID. I has a monster infestation of ...at the time I had no idea what... in some tropical houseplants a few years back and it sent me on a search. Your little critters look exactly the same to me.

What I found out...they are more annoying than harmful...in most situations. For the most part, in regular soil type plants and outdoors in our gardens, they are an indication of a health eco-system. HOWEVER...their being in your orchid pot could be a possible indication of too much moisture.

Here's a great link to learn more...
http://agrilifebookstore.org/tmppdfs...c5e3c87d541858

Hope this helps!
Kat ~
Thank's for the link! About my orchid pot, it is sure it is very moistured. I use wool rock, that let me grow orchid in someting like S/H!
Old 07-02-2008, 07:05 AM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,389 Times in 3,096 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
You are very welcome!