Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2009, 06:37 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,736 Times in 1,033 Posts
-k- is on a distinguished road
Question Bug Question / Repot ?

Picked up a new mini today, was on sale couldnít resist! Any way, removed two mealy's off one flower, I donít even know if they were alive or not to be honest. But also noticed small black mite looking bugs on some flowers as well; I removed them. Hard to tell if they are just the typical non harmful medium mites or not. The plant is in a clear container and the roots are plentiful and very healthy, potted in sphagnum moss and aside from blooming it has a new spike growing. I analyzed the plant with a magnify glass and did not see any infestation, just a few black mites here and there, some of which I removed. Is there concern enough to possibly repot now to rid any possible issues considering all the above
Old 11-29-2009, 08:01 PM

oncidiumlover is on a distinguished road
I would repot, don't be surprised if some uglies crawl out of there while you're doing it. I would give a good dunk in Brooke n's Cinnamon spray, that stuff rocks, thanks again Brooke n!!

It's 2 cups water, 2 teaspoons cinnamon extract and 8-10 drops of dish soap.

Coffee, Chids and Good food, what more could a girl ask for?
Old 11-29-2009, 08:04 PM
Executive Senior Member

PhalNewbie89 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, sounds like a good idea to repot and kill all things living inside jus in case. Man I need to remember to pick up cinnamon extract for this...all I have is powder for cuts :P

I am way past the denial stage and just plain
ADDICTED!
Old 11-29-2009, 08:08 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Only concern is it's blooming, since there is not to much potting medium I can see most of what's going on in there. The magnify glass works great for spotting creepy little critters, just don't want to ruin blooms or spike so I'm uncertain.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:12 PM

pugmom is on a distinguished road
Maybe give it a good soak in the cinnamon and dish soap mixture and water it with this mixture a few times.

Would have the same effect on the bugs at least.

I recently picked up 2 mini phals that were in moss and I repotted them in bark mix, I regret it now, they are not doing so well, I should have left them alone.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:20 PM

I have heard that they take better from bark to sphag than the other way around. They say when swithcing to bark, you should use a half bark and half sphag mix at first, to get them used to it. That's what I do, it works out pretty well.
If it's a phal, I repot them when in bloom all the time, and as long as you're careful, they will continue to bloom for months afterwords. Better to loose a few blooms than the whole plant, I say.
If nothing else, I would at least soak the plant, pot and all, in the cinnamon spray.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:26 PM
Executive Senior Member

hera is on a distinguished road
I can't remember, does Brookn's formula work on scale?
Old 11-29-2009, 08:30 PM

I've heard it works on everything but silverfish, but Im not sure what those are.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:36 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,583 Times in 929 Posts
mehitabel is on a distinguished road
You can use Safer's Insecticidal or Safer's 3 N 1 as a drench, too.

Pugmom, the most common cause of stress to newly repotted phals is excessive dryness. Try watering a little more often til the medium gets more moisture retentive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mehitabel For This Useful Post:
pugmom (11-29-2009), Schlyne (11-29-2009)
Old 11-30-2009, 08:12 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

I don't know... I have inspected the plant over and over and can't see anything out of the ordinary. Just think it was a fluke instance and are hesitant to disturb all the new growth by repotting now. So I'll continue to keep close watch on it for pests!!
Old 11-30-2009, 11:26 PM
Member Photobucket

Schlyne is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hera View Post
I can't remember, does Brookn's formula work on scale?
Yes. I'm having a devil of a time with them on one of my masdies, simply becuase there are so many tight folds for them to hide in. The formula does seem to be killing them off though. I'm just hoping I can kill them all off before it loses all of its leaves
Old 12-01-2009, 08:43 AM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,389 Times in 3,096 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K- View Post
I don't know... I have inspected the plant over and over and can't see anything out of the ordinary. Just think it was a fluke instance and are hesitant to disturb all the new growth by repotting now. So I'll continue to keep close watch on it for pests!!
I would also quarantine those plants away from all other 'chids. I've learned this the haaaaaaaaaaaaaard way. I recently bought a couple of masdies at our Nov mini show/sale and upon re-potting discovered a mealy bug on each plant. These plants are in a completely separate area and not anywhere near the flow of a fan. They will remain there for 6 weeks...if no other mealies are found during this time...then... and only then... will they be moved into the general population.

I've had mealies the previous 2 falls and they are a major PITA. They move around easily...even getting carried through the air...blowing from one plant to another.

Hera -- As to the scale being treated by the cinnamon mixture. Nope...it won't eradicate the scale but it can keep it at bay if you stay on top of the spraying/picking. I had scale on one catt last year...discovered it in the fall (again w/the fall) so I kept it separated from the other plants and treated/picked each week. Once the weather broke and I could get them outside...I pulled out the big guns insecticide (not my fav thing to do but necessary once in awhile) and 3 weeks of spraying/soil drenching. No more scale. Scale is another one...along w/many insects...that can move through the air so keeping the plant out of the path of any fans is important. You need to hit the scale when it's in the "crawler" stage in order to really eradicate it effectively.

Schlyne -- I haven't use the "big guns" on a masdie but I've heard they don't do all that well w/traditional insecticide treatments. Hopefully someone with more experience in this arena will see this.

Last edited by katrina; 12-01-2009 at 08:46 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to katrina For This Useful Post:
-k- (12-01-2009), Schlyne (12-01-2009)
Old 12-01-2009, 09:16 AM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,356 Posts
fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
I have used Pyrethrum on my masdies with no ill effects
one can get this pre mixed it should be in the garden section
I hope this helps
-k- (12-01-2009), katrina (12-01-2009)
Old 12-01-2009, 02:46 PM
Member Photobucket

Schlyne is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by katrina View Post
Hera -- As to the scale being treated by the cinnamon mixture. Nope...it won't eradicate the scale but it can keep it at bay if you stay on top of the spraying/picking. I had scale on one catt last year...discovered it in the fall (again w/the fall) so I kept it separated from the other plants and treated/picked each week. Once the weather broke and I could get them outside...I pulled out the big guns insecticide (not my fav thing to do but necessary once in awhile) and 3 weeks of spraying/soil drenching. No more scale. Scale is another one...along w/many insects...that can move through the air so keeping the plant out of the path of any fans is important. You need to hit the scale when it's in the "crawler" stage in order to really eradicate it effectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred View Post
I have used Pyrethrum on my masdies with no ill effects
one can get this pre mixed it should be in the garden section
I hope this helps
Well, that explains why I just seem to be keeping on top of the problem so far I'll try and get some today, fred. Thanks. Hopefully I can save my Angel Tears or it will make a come back. I still have no idea where the scale came from