Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gingerhill
  • 1 Post By trev

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2015, 12:33 AM

anjuhluh is on a distinguished road
Brand new phal with black/browning on leaves

Hi,
I'm not quite sure exactly which sub-section I should be posting this in, so I apologize in advance if this should be somewhere else. I purchased a Phalenopsis Orchid yesterday and I am new to Orchids. I attempted to save and Orchid I found on clearance in Lowes and it didn't work out so well, so when that guy passed on I purchased what I believe to be a healthy Phal. I already have some Orchid pots and some Orchid mix that I bought from repotme, but I am unsure if I should re-pot this one just yet or not. It has some black and brown spots on some of the leaves and also on the leaf base. It has a lot of air roots and I took the plastic pot out of the clay pot to find it is loaded with what looks like really healthy roots. It is also covered in new blooms. I am concerned over these leaves though. I have taken several photos that I am attaching so hopefully everyone can see what I am talking about. If additional pics are necessary please let me know and I will try to get better lighting or pics of areas etc. It also has what looks like a trail of dew on the underside of one of the leaves so I don't know if that is normal or not.
Attached Thumbnails
img_4393.jpg  

Last edited by anjuhluh; 01-08-2015 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Pic ended up attaching
Old 01-08-2015, 12:38 AM

Additional pictures
Attached Thumbnails
img_4392.jpg   img_4391.jpg   img_4367.jpg  
Old 01-08-2015, 12:52 AM

gingerhill is on a distinguished road
Your Phal looks really healthy to me. The dark color on the leaves look like it has been exposed to too much light. Phal don't need direct sun or overly bright lights. The roots look healty, but being white may mean they are a little dry and should green up with some water. It looks like it's potted in Spag, so you want to make sure it doesn't stay too wet, and you can repot it after it's done blooming into some bark, or a mix of bark and spag.
kdennis14 likes this.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:03 AM

Awesome, thanks for the reply! I was really paranoid when I seen the bits of brown around the leaf base thinking it was maybe crown rot or something but since it looked healthy in all other aspects I wasn't sure. It also has two really tiny leaves trying to grow but they are really wimpy feeling so I am thinking they won't make it. Also, when I go to water it should I avoid getting water on the air roots? My last Phal only had one or two air roots so it was easy to water around them but this Phal has nearly the whole top of the potting mix covered in air roots.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:48 AM

flowerscrazed is on a distinguished road
In addition to water the air roots when watering, I usually mist them whenever I get a chance. These dry up faster than their comrades in the pot. Enjoy the blooms; they're so pretty.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:51 PM
Executive Senior Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

trev is on a distinguished road
Agree with everyone! Your Phal looks a-okay!

I also spray the air roots, but I try to protect the leaves from being too wet, I quickly dry the leaves off.
LovePhals likes this.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:42 AM

gingerhill is on a distinguished road
I am not sure if the exposed roots are air roots or if they are regular roots, just not buried in the medium. In either case you can spray them and when you water the plant you can put water on them also until they turn green. As was also stated, be careful about getting water on the leaves where it might get into the crown and cause rot.