Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2008, 10:38 AM

Nancy is on a distinguished road
Bract turning black on cattleya

My SC Beaufort finally bloomed and the colors are beautiful. The flower was very short-lived and the flower never gained substance. The petals developed black tips. At the bottom of the pb that bore the flower, the bract has turned black. It does not apear to be traveling up the pb, nor do any ofthe other pbs manifest this. I figure this is bacterial in nature. Is there anything I can do to keep it from spreading? I notedthat I had the plant buried a little too deeply and remedied that. We've installed some things to make the huidity higher and now it runs about 60. Fans run constantly to keep the air moving around the plant. Is there anything else I can do? This is the only plant that is showing signs of this. Thanks.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:11 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

articuno75 is on a distinguished road
Sounds like fungi more than it does bacteria. You can try these two things. One is Hydrogen Peroxide or you can use Physan. Keep the fan on for sure. If you notice any spread, of any kind, I'd remove it immediately just to be done with it.

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed: in life that which is unnoticed has the most power.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:20 PM

Peroxide I have. I'll dabble some on. Do you think the plant will benefit from being repotted? The latest pb is very close to the side of the pot and it has room, perhaps, for one more new growth. None of my other catts have this. I was also wonderingif this pant may benefit more from being in a clay pot. It appears to have trouble draining in the plastic pot. Thanks for the reply. I hope you don't mide a few more questions.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:54 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 5,451 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
Don't mess wiht the sheath. Sometiems a sheath will dry up and turn black. If it is dry there's no worry. the sheath may dry up and yet the growth may still bloom so it is best to intervene as little as possible and only if necessary as you do not want to harm the embryonic buds.

Cheers!
Old 01-07-2008, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket

Cynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond repute
Get a hot glue gun and make a few more holes in the bottom. The heat in the gun will sterilize any damage to roots. When a plastic pot drains slowly though, it is usually the mix that is a bit dense, but I would not worry about it, so long as you let the mix dry before watering again.

Sheathing on the outside of pseudobulbs always dies around the time the bulb matures. What happens to this sheathing after it dies is of no concern to you or the plant. It may go brown or it may go black. When it gets loose enough, you can remove it, but don't pick at it while it is stuck to the bulb, or you may break the skin of the bulb accidentally, opening up the plant for invasion of something nasty.

Prescott Orchid Society
Old 01-07-2008, 05:21 PM

Can I please go back to calling it the sarong? I think it would be a lot less confusing. I'll make a few extra holes in the bottom. Thanks for the advice. At least I got to see its colors.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:53 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 5,451 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
For the temporary leaves which protect the new growth while it is growing, bract is the correct term.

For the thin leafy "envelope" which protects the flower buds while they are forming, sheath is the correct term.

Neither of these structures is properly called a "sarong." The best way to avoid confusion in the long run is to call things by their proper name.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:39 AM

Okay, Kmarch. You'll note that in my post I did referto the covering of the pb as the bract. Sorry for the confusion and thank you for all the advice you've given me.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:35 AM

rmt135 is on a distinguished road
We in S.E. Asia like to wear sarong & I go to bed wearing a sarong.