Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 03:00 PM

Amblnc38 is on a distinguished road
Beallara Patricia McCully leaf discoloration

I know these pictures are not that great. It's hard to picture the discoloration but there are definite lighter areas on the leaves. Is it possible it's not getting enough light? I keep it in an east facing window that gets full morning light and fairly bright light the rest of the day.

One leaf is also turning yellow and a few others black around the edges. I have no idea what's going on.

Last edited by Amblnc38; 07-26-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:09 PM

Here's two more, the image upload isnt' workign on the forum.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:28 PM
Executive Senior Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Dendian is on a distinguished road
Personally - and I don't have a whole bunch of these so I can't say for certain - but I would be more concerned about the shape of the psuedobulbs.

Is that black spot mushy or firm? I don't think its getting enough water - possibly because of lack of roots or because of underwatering.

The Onc. types that I have get the black speckling on the leaves - I have heard it is a fungus possibily (from watering and then getting cool) - but it doesn't hurt the plant.

The light spots may be because of too much light - all at once? - but not too little (that is usually dark green). They might also be mites - but I have never had that so I can't tell you much.

I am sure there are more possibilities - but that's my best guess so far...
Old 07-26-2011, 06:45 PM

The bulbs are dark purple and came that way. I will move here and modify the watering schedule, from every 4th day to every 3rd.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:16 PM
Executive Senior Member

Ah - I have never seen one with dark purple psuedobulbs.

I think you might want to check the watering with the skewer method - see when the skewer/media is damp but not wet - and water by that - instead of a "set" day. Too much watering will kill the roots - and will look exactly like too little water.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:49 PM

ArtGeekMark is on a distinguished road
Hi there, I have a Bllra Patricia McCully 'Pacific Matriarch' as well however the bulbs never got that dark purple - unfortunately I am not the most experienced only getting serious into orchids about three years ago. The wrinkling is needing a little more watering & the wrinkling goes away.

As for the yellowing of the leaves I can only take a guess perhaps a little too much light yet obviously not enough that it thankfully didn't get a sunburn. I had this happen with my other Beallara Tropic Tom 'Pale Face' and it was nothing major; just try tad bit more of a shaded area but it'll be fine, if that's what is making your's leaves yellow.

I hope someone can give you good info on why the pseudobulbs are getting dark color, having two bllras it'd be good info to know myself. Good luck & happy growing!

Last edited by ArtGeekMark; 07-26-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:51 PM

They definitely came that way. *shruggs* So I have no idea. Kind of the appeal. I have been letting her dry completely, so that might be part of the problem? I will move her into my bedroom a few more feet from the window...hopefully that helps.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 4,422 Times in 3,810 Posts
orchids4me is on a distinguished road
Are you seeing sighns of new roots or growths yet ? The shriveling can be 2 things not enough water or to much water causing root rot. When did you last re pot ? Have you checked the root ball lately ? Usually that's where it all begins (problems) under the media hidden from us ....

Daisy 2003 -2013
Life is too short.... Buy more orchids!!!!

Emmaye
Old 07-27-2011, 09:04 AM

I just repotted her two weeks ago. I had to prune a lot of dead roots. So that might be the issue. But would that be causing the leaf discoloration?
Old 07-27-2011, 01:55 PM
Executive Senior Member

Ah hah - that makes sense - the shriveling of the Pbulbs is cause by lack of roots - and letting it dry all the way out. Letting it dry all the way out will cause the growths to put out new roots looking for the water - but it will also pull a lot out of the plant when its doing this. When the new roots start to come in I would put it back on the "water when almost dry" routine - its what it prefers.

The leaf discoloration could also be caused by the plant pulling the nutrients out of the leaves to make new roots. I have had mine drop almost all of its leaves when I had to remove most of the roots due to rot (overpotted and stayed sopping wet at the store). However - about 2 months later I had tons of brand new roots and two big growths - and it bloomed this year (Sand. Pacific Black Star).

However, as I stated in the beginning I am basing my advise on other Onc, Intergenerics that I have had for several years - not your specific plant.
Amblnc38 (07-28-2011)
Old 07-28-2011, 07:06 PM

There are a few small roots forming it looks like. So hopefully that's all that's wrong.