Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 01:52 PM

Drumphan is on a distinguished road
Bacterial Brown Spot on Dendrobium

I have bacterial brown spot on my Den. chrysotoxum. Copper-based bactericides are not to be used on Dendrobiums, so I am wondering if there is an alternative systemic bactericide I can use. Should I start with Physan 20 an see if that helps? Personally, I think it's beyond the topical stage.

Thank you,

-Bob

Last edited by Drumphan; 11-16-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:15 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,111 Times in 1,016 Posts
Leafmite is on a distinguished road
If you can obtain a systemic that will eliminate the problem, that would be best. If not, there is the way I was taught. Use a sterile, sharp knife and remove the infected tissue, then treat with the highest percent isopropyl alcohol you can buy. This spreads quickly (if it is what I think it is), so you don't want to delay. I treat twice a day with the alcohol and usually treat the rest of the plant once in case the air has spread the disease. Alcohol isn't good with most plant virus but it does work well with bacteria and fungus if direct contact can be made. I swab well so it takes a little time to dry. Good luck!
Old 11-18-2012, 07:52 PM
Executive Senior Member

PaulB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafmite View Post
If you can obtain a systemic that will eliminate the problem, that would be best. If not, there is the way I was taught. Use a sterile, sharp knife and remove the infected tissue, then treat with the highest percent isopropyl alcohol you can buy. This spreads quickly (if it is what I think it is), so you don't want to delay. I treat twice a day with the alcohol and usually treat the rest of the plant once in case the air has spread the disease. Alcohol isn't good with most plant virus but it does work well with bacteria and fungus if direct contact can be made. I swab well so it takes a little time to dry. Good luck!
Leaf- Do you dust the wound with cinnamon at all after the cut and alcohol treatment??
Old 11-18-2012, 08:21 PM
V.I.P Member

No, I don't use cinnamon. I have tried other ideas and lost the plants/orchids so I stick to the alcohol now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Leafmite For This Useful Post:
PaulB (11-19-2012)
Old 11-19-2012, 12:33 PM
Executive Senior Member

PaulB is on a distinguished road
Just wondering, since the cinnamon helps keep the bacterial issue down.

I use 99% Isopropyl for a number of things, but haven't used it on my orchids. I use 70% for that. 99% is what they use in printing presses to help dry the water, so I get it from printing suppliers.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:01 PM
V.I.P Member

Sadly, I became a little skeptical of its properties as a whole when it was claimed (somewhere, by someone) to be an insecticide and my Cinnamomum zeylanicum/verum has proven more of a scale magnet than the bay laurel! Yes, cinnamon likely works for fungus and bacteria but I was always told with the other plants (and in cleaning) to use isopropyl alcohol. With the fruit trees and roses, I use a commercial product as alcohol only works on contact.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:18 AM
Banned

rlilia is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
Just wondering, since the cinnamon helps keep the bacterial issue down.

I use 99% Isopropyl for a number of things, but haven't used it on my orchids. I use 70% for that. 99% is what they use in printing presses to help dry the water, so I get it from printing suppliers.
I once brought a new Phal home and the next day the newest leaf deteriorated and got mashy down to the base. I panicked and after removing the leaf damped the table spoon of cinnamon on the wound. I was almost sure it was some case of a crown rot.
A few weeks later the area completely healed and eventually grew a new leaf! I'm a strong believer that alcohol works locally while cinnamon can potentially save some larger areas.

Just my 2c.

Lilia
Old 11-20-2012, 01:23 AM
Executive Senior Member

Vian is on a distinguished road
Isopropal alcohol stronger than 70% begins breaking down the cell walls. It might be ok to use on thicker-leaved plants like most dends and the like, but not on more delicate leaved-plants like oncidiums.