Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2006, 09:43 AM

Danko is on a distinguished road
Are my orchids ill?

Dear members,
I am an orchid fan from Croatia. I have a dozen and a half differenr orchids. So far I have been successful in reflowering some of them. But now I noticed that one of my Cambrias died in the middle - completely dried in the middle. Also in some of the pots I noticed small bugs with many legs. What can I do?
Please help me
Old 06-15-2006, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Cynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond repute
Your mix is much too broken down if you have millipedes (sp?). And if it is not broken down, I think these guys will help it to break down. Use DE, as in another post. If the center of your Cambria is dead, again it sounds like you are over due for repotting. This is what happens if you try to grow plants into a specimin (very large) plants. When the plant is old, the oldest bulbs, usually in the middle, die off. Repot this plant and divide it. Time to find someone to trade plants with. Plants growing in bark should be repotted about every 3 years. If you keep a plant a little on the damp side, assuming the plant can take it, you may have to repot in 2 years, or also if the bark is not very good to start with. Look for orchid bark (fir bark) that is very firm when squeezed the chunks thru the package bag. Cynthia, Prescott, AZ
Old 06-15-2006, 04:24 PM

Danko is on a distinguished road
Dear Cynthia,

thank you for the quick reply. I will repot it right away. As far as mixing is concerned I hope the millipedes will not destroy them all. Is there any other cure than DE? I don't think it is possible to find that in Croatia?!
Old 06-16-2006, 03:22 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Cynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond repute
Probably just more repotting, but do it in season, when new roots are forming on the newest growth (for sympodials like Catts, Oncidiums, and Dendrobiums). Paphs and Monopodials (like Phalaenopsis and Vandas) can usually be repotted any time. Cynthia, Prescott, AZ