Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By coffeecup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2014, 09:33 AM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Catt Mandu is on a distinguished road
Anyone tried Bayer Advanced Natria?

I had scale suddenly appear over the winter on a few plants. Probably due to some hitch-hikers that I didn't see when inspecting some new arrivals.

I have been using Bayer Advanced Rose & Flower with Imidacloprid, and that seems to be controlling things pretty well. I will likely continue spraying my plants with Bayer Advanced Rose & Flower for at least a month (hey, I was going to just use the acronym, but "spraying my plants with BARF" just sounds wrong).

I do believe in rotating chemicals so that pests don't build up a tolerance. I have a neem-based product, and may use that after the month is over.

But, I have seen the Bayer Natria product offered, and it is labeled for mealies, scale, and mites. Active ingredients are sulfur and pyrethrins, so I assume this would be a contact poison only. Has anyone used this? The pest I am managing now is scale, but mealies have been a problem in the past. No issues with mites yet (knock on wood). Just wondering if this is a good choice to rotate to after the Neem. I will probably rotate back to the BARF (yeah, still sounds wrong) or Bayer 3-in-1 later in the year.

Any advice appreciated.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:34 PM

E-Jag is on a distinguished road
I, too, use BARF (nope, it just ain't gonna' resonate) and really like the stuff but find it to be only modestly effective on mites. Would be interested in Natria if anyone has experience in that area. A timely thread, thanks.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:16 PM
V.I.P Member

Catt Mandu is on a distinguished road
I think the BARF is labeled for insects, but maybe not for mites? No label near me right now, can't check. The imidacloprid systemic in BARF probably isn't too healthy for any arthropod though, so maybe it does knock the mites back a little.

The BA 3 in 1 is formulated for mites, the main reason I have not used it before now is the only way it is packaged/sold near me is as a bottle you attach to the end of your hose. I bought some recently & will just dilute it for my hand sprayer as needed.

I hope we get some feedback on the Natria.

Cheers
Old 04-09-2014, 04:00 PM

kine671 is on a distinguished road
Haha, BARF, I love it! I use the BARF, and find it really effective on pests to include the what I thought would be a never ending mealy struggle.

I have noticed that the pump-spray bottles only have 0.0120% of Imidacloprid. Weak compared to the new aerosol BARF which contains 0.025% Imadicloprid. Even that is weaker than Bayer Tree and Shrub (BATS ) which has 1.47% Imidacloprid.

Depending on what you are treating, or the response to what you are using, you could try using a stronger product. Or go all natural. Right now when everything is about to hatch and start making homes in the greenhouse is when I hit it with the systemic stuff.

"Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet." Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old 04-09-2014, 04:12 PM

kine671 is on a distinguished road
Scratch everything I just said. The amounts of Imid are correct but I just read this report that states: "One reason that spider mites become problems in yards and gardens is the use of insecticides that destroy their natural enemies. For example, carbaryl (Sevin) devastates most spider mite natural enemies and can greatly contribute to spider mite outbreaks. Malathion can aggravate some spider mite problems, despite being advertised frequently as effective for mite control. Soil applications of the systemic insecticide imidacloprid (Merit, Marathon) have also contributed to some spider mite outbreaks."

Per the fact sheet, break out the Neem oil or maybe some Sulfur AKA Natria.

"Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet." Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old 04-09-2014, 05:01 PM
Executive Senior Member

coffeecup is on a distinguished road
I do not like Natria at all simply because it stains the leaves and is quite messy. I can't say how well it works for what its used for. Bayer 3 in 1 isn't very effective for mites in my opinion. I started using Volck Oil spray which is very effective against mites.
BGGraham1 likes this.
Catt Mandu (04-10-2014), Fishmom (04-09-2014), kine671 (04-09-2014)