Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2006, 12:38 AM

Markm0723 is on a distinguished road
Any Ideas What This Is?

Greetings All,

I got in a shipment last Thursday of seven Catts and one Columnara. All of them looked fine, except for the Epi. "Siam Jade" whose leaves have black markings on the undersides of several of the leaves. It looked almost like Mildew but will not rub or wash off. The upper side of the leaves look fine, and the roots were all plump and healthy (it was shipped bare root so I could see everything). This is the fourth shipment I've received from this seller, and I've never had a problem. The plants are treated with insectcides and fungicides prior to shipping. I've treated it with Physan 20 since it arrived. Unfortunately, my Orchid Library is currently on the low side, and I have not been able to find a reference to this condition. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Epi. Siam Jade:

Close Up:

Thanks in Advance,
Mark
Old 03-22-2006, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Cynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond repute
It could be nothing, or it could be virus. The only virused plant that I had that looked like that was a thin leaved Pescatoria. If you want to know for sure (and get made whole by the seller), have the plant tested.
http://crittercreeklab.s5.com/
The charge for testing by these people is $4. If the problem is just fungus, keeping the plant warm, and dry by the time the temp falls (don't mist late in the day) should allow the new growths to be free of these markings. If it turns out to be virus, don't be too hard on the seller. Virus is very common, and I have gotten virused plants from many of the big name growers. However, it is something you don't want in your collection. Such plants look, grow, and bloom terribly. The virus is incurable, and can be transferred to healthy plants by something as simple as an errant finger stabbing a plant. Cynthia, Prescott, AZ