Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 12:54 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 4,721 Times in 2,020 Posts
lmartiny is on a distinguished road
Ants on my Den. lindleyi buds

I've been watching this spike and have been concerned with the black ants. The spike has shown droplets of "sap." I've read the ants are attracted to the sap, whcih Is/could be (?) caused by aphids. i don't see any other bugs.
I hit it a time or two with BrookN's cinnamon spray and even the premixed Bayre's. But I'm hesitent to spray the buds more and damage them. It may only bloom so so now as it is. Some bud's are lost already.
I would like to mix up a batch of Bayre's three in one and give everyone a good douse. Spray/dunk? (I'm still fighting some mealies) and funk in the GH. Is this product safe for a full on assult? Spray, dunk or pour? I'd really like some input. I've been a bit shy on using products. But now I need an attack plan.
The Following User Says Thank You to lmartiny For This Useful Post:
rcb (03-17-2010)
Old 03-17-2010, 03:03 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 5,451 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
Not all sap droplets are caused by bugs. Some are normal. In an of themselves ants won't harm your orchid but sometimes ants are a sign of another problem like scale or aphids. Look your plant over very carefully. Look for scale or aphids or other critters. If you find anything treat accordingly. If you've lost buds, I'm inclined to think there are some other bugs around too.
The Following User Says Thank You to kmarch For This Useful Post:
lmartiny (03-17-2010)
Old 03-17-2010, 08:55 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 3,702 Times in 1,792 Posts
rcb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartiny View Post
I would like to mix up a batch of Bayre's three in one and give everyone a good douse. Spray/dunk? (I'm still fighting some mealies) and funk in the GH. Is this product safe for a full on assult? Spray, dunk or pour? I'd really like some input. I've been a bit shy on using products. But now I need an attack plan.
Lynne, I'm a big supporter of the Bayer insecticides. I don't use the three in one, but use the premade spray for flowering plants, and the to be mixed that I think is called complete insect killer - or something like that.

But, since I've discovered thrips (lucky me!), I am now spraying all spikes every week with the premade spray for flowering plants. It has not hurt my buds or spikes at all.

And when I see a problem on a plant, I use the complete insect killer on the whole plant, I spray all leaves, p'bulbs, and then water it completely with it. Then I let it dry - do not rinse. Have had no problems with it. Not even on the types that were badly hurt by the Cinnamon/soap mixture.

"I carefully described to Huxley the shooting out of the pollinia in Catasetum, and received for an answer, 'Do you really think I can believe all that?'" - Darwin, 1868

www.orchidsnhoyas.blogspot.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcb For This Useful Post:
koshki (03-17-2010), lmartiny (03-17-2010)
Old 03-17-2010, 09:50 AM

pugmom is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarch View Post
Not all sap droplets are caused by bugs. Some are normal. In an of themselves ants won't harm your orchid but sometimes ants are a sign of another problem like scale or aphids. Look your plant over very carefully. Look for scale or aphids or other critters. If you find anything treat accordingly. If you've lost buds, I'm inclined to think there are some other bugs around too.
Exactly, ants will not harm plants but do eat the sap or any other smaller bugs on the plants.

We have peonies in our garden here and they actually attract thousands of ants to eat away at the sap to help the buds to open, in the late spring the plants are COVERED in ants and they don't do any damage other then helping the large buds open.
The Following User Says Thank You to pugmom For This Useful Post:
lmartiny (03-17-2010)
Old 03-18-2010, 11:58 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 4,721 Times in 2,020 Posts
lmartiny is on a distinguished road
So maybe my Cinn/soap mixture was too harsh? They are very slowly starting to open. I was expecting a darker yellow color. I'll post when they open.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:16 PM
Member Photobucket

11Orchid126 is on a distinguished road
Ants farm aphids. They nurture them. This is a case of darned if you do, darned if you don't. You have the buds and worry that the bugs are slowly destroying them, and then you worry that if you use the spray to kill the bugs, the spray will hurt the buds. Either way the buds may be gonners. So why not take a chance?

The Bayer Flower Spray is a systemic. You can use it all over the plant except the buds, and the plant will absorb the spray and it will circulate throughout the plant. Even though the directions say it's good for a month, use it every seven days, three times.

Last edited by 11Orchid126; 03-19-2010 at 03:18 PM.