Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2007, 12:30 PM

Woods is on a distinguished road
Anton's Advice

I started a previous post about a bite on a new leaf (Phal). The hole is getting bigger! I though the edges were cracking as the leaf opens but the bite shape has definately changed over the past week.
Someone suggested trying Anton's soaking method but I can't find the thread. I have seen no bugs except the ones living in the medium.
Help!
A
Old 11-23-2007, 01:51 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

articuno75 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods View Post
I started a previous post about a bite on a new leaf (Phal). The hole is getting bigger! I though the edges were cracking as the leaf opens but the bite shape has definately changed over the past week.
Someone suggested trying Anton's soaking method but I can't find the thread. I have seen no bugs except the ones living in the medium.
Help!
A
Take the plant, pot and all and place it in a pot or bowl of water to where the water just comes to the rim of the medium. (The medium will float a little bit, but not escape out of the pot/bowl.) Let set for about an hour or two. Check the surface of the water. Bugs or other little boogers can't hold their breath forever! Hope this helps

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed: in life that which is unnoticed has the most power.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket

Cynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond repute
If there is a hole in a growing leaf, the hole will grow with the leaf growth. Changing shape can be expected as the leaf will not grow uniformly in all directions.

Prescott Orchid Society
Old 11-24-2007, 04:08 PM

Thanks. Is there anything I can put onto the hole to stop it cracking and getting bigger?
A
Old 11-24-2007, 05:33 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 5,451 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
Last January something took a bite out of a new growth on my Cattleya schilleriana. The leaves had not yet emerged and they had a nice bite of a "leaf sandwich." Afterwords the leaves opened up and the growth matured and I have a nice neat hole right in the middle of one of the leaves. It hasn't enlarged or cracked and it didn't deform the leaf but it was a Cattleya and it has tough, leathery leaves. I dont' think there's anything you cna do to repair the leaf but your plant will be ok.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:57 PM

Thanks for the reassurance.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:10 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,285 Posts
mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
Some time ago I had a phal that had a slug on it's youngest leaf. There was only about 50% at best of the leaf remaining after "breakfast" was served. I was wondering how this leaf would look as it grew - here is the leaf now - in the case of phals - they grow out from the bottom - what was the entire leaf when it was small is in fact only the tip of the leaf now.
Attached Thumbnails
70-112407-02a.jpg  
Old 11-25-2007, 06:57 AM

Thanks for the photo Mike. Very reassuring. My youngest leaf has brownish edges like the one in your photo too.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:59 PM
Executive Senior Member Photobucket

tizzycat is on a distinguished road
GOsh, that phal has some huge leaves Mike.