Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2007, 12:10 PM

siriusmk is on a distinguished road
Another unhappy ebay purchase

Hi everyone,

I had made the mistake of purchasing 10 miltonias off ebay for a great price. I knew they probably would not be in the best of shape, but I did not expect them to be infested with scales, centipedes and this other insect I cannot identify. The listing said it was pest and disease free and I am just grossed out. I normally don't quarantine my orchids, but I was thankful I did with this lot. A couple of them have black spots that look like a fungal infection. I have notified the seller and hopefully we can work something out. Unfortunately I discovered it as I was repotting a miltonia because the whole plant just fell out of the pot when I unpacked it. That particular one looks very happy right now after treating it with neem oil, physan 20, and superthrive. I have learned my lesson. I am almost tempted to throw them all out if he will not let me return them.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:20 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 2,835 Times in 1,280 Posts
Anton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of light
QUARANTINE, QUARANTINE, QUARANTINE !
Old 04-28-2007, 10:59 PM

turkeytaker is on a distinguished road
That completely boggles my mind that people will send out infested plants and not expect people to be upset. If the person isn't wiling to settle things with you, go through ebay. I've had my money refunded through them when the person refused to do any refunding or negotiation, although I did end up having to keep a lot of sick plants...some of which I still have. I don't know whether the 'free' plants are worth the five years they've been taking up space trying to get back to healthy states.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:41 PM

palito is on a distinguished road
and tell us the name of the vendor.!
Old 04-29-2007, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

brookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of light
sirius,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you have had. I personally got 3 nice catt. Sogo Doll seedlings on a B1G1 on ebay. They were sent bare root, and I folowed the sellers instructions (I decided on a different potting medium) and they are growing like weeds, very thirsty weeds . I would just be very careful about the sellers you pick, I have not had all good experiences with ebay, I just try to be careful.

By all means tell us who the seller is, and be sure to take it up with ebay if you need to. It helps all of us who shop there if the bad sellers know we are not going to take their horrible practices.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:45 PM

siriusmk is on a distinguished road
I did get a response back from Orchids of los osos. Apparently, they had purchased lots of milts through another orchid nursery (the orchids house) that just closed and decided to sell them on ebay. They seemed extremely concerned with the infestation and is willing to work something out. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow. I agree that it might not be worth having free sick orchids because this is taking up sooo much of my time. I feel like just burning them or something, but I just can't. Hopefully I can salvage a couple after i get rid of the scales and aphids.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:23 PM

snowballsarebad is on a distinguished road
I'm surprised the seller was los osos! I bought a maxillaria tenuifolia from them just last month, and it is beautiful; very large and healthy plant, no bugs or anything. It looks like it was quite the mistake for them to sell plants from another nursery! Hopefully they will be helpful and let you exchange them or get a refund. Good luck.