Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 09:55 AM

JungleMel is on a distinguished road
another "Does this look like a virus?" thread

Hi All,

I have zero experience with viruses and accepted this Blc. Momilani Rainbow division off a larger plant, thinking the red might have been sun burn (I have never had catts before.) I will send in some of the leaf for testing if it looks off to you guys. The larger plant belongs to my father and he has sentimental attachment to it. So I really don't want to chuck this plant unless I really have to. So please let me know what you think. The spottiness in the leaf that it bloomed off of is actually reddish, not brown.
Attached Thumbnails
005.jpg  

Last edited by JungleMel; 04-05-2010 at 09:59 AM. Reason: name of plant
Old 04-05-2010, 08:03 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 5,451 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
I would get it tested. The red colouration on the plant doesn't pother me. It's a sign that the plant is beign growin in high light and has nothing to do with be possibility of the plant being virused. What concerns me is the colour breaks in the petals. This can be caused by a virus. I'd recommend getting it tested.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:10 PM

Thanks for your advice. So thats defineitly what a color break looks like then, oh well. Out of curiosity, what besides a virus could cause color breaks?

Last edited by JungleMel; 04-05-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:07 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,239 Times in 532 Posts
jerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond repute
I must have a 100 Rhyncattleanthe (rhyncolaelia x cattleya x guarianthe) Momilani Rainbow and the color in the petals looks normal.

In general a normal cause of color breaks in Flowers is thrips eating the buds as they open. It is not happening here.

Last edited by kmarch; 04-05-2010 at 10:08 PM. Reason: genus spelling corrections
The Following User Says Thank You to jerrymeola For This Useful Post:
JungleMel (04-06-2010)
Old 04-05-2010, 10:11 PM
V.I.P Member

kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
It's not clear whether Jerry is suggesting your orchid has thrips or is virused but to be clear, colour breaks caused by viruses and those caused by thrips do not look the same. They are very distinctly different. The key difference is tissue damage.

Thrip damage looks like the petals, usually the edges, have been fried. They look washed out (because the cells have been damaged) and, well "fried." There is obvious tissue damage with thrips where they eat and suck fluids from the plant. Here's a pic: http://agspsrv34.agric.wa.gov.au/Ent...ce/Image34.gif And here's a pic of a thrip infested Sederia japonica where you can see what I'm calling the "fried" edges: http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...s/IMG_1207.jpg

Colour breaks caused by viruses do not display any tissue damage like thrip damage does. There are no "fried" edges or loss of flower substance. Sometimes the flower or a growth will be a bit deformed but not always. Here is a pic of a virused cattleya: http://www.aos.org/AM/Images/pest+di.../Virus2003.jpg Here is another pic where it is easier to see that there is no tissue damage, just the colour break: http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/pi/enpp...Colorbreak.jpg

And here is a useful link to the AOS page on orchid viruses: AOS | Orchid Virus
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kmarch For This Useful Post:
JungleMel (04-06-2010), NancyG (04-06-2010)
Old 04-05-2010, 11:47 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,239 Times in 532 Posts
jerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond repute
I think I clearly said I do not see any color break to make me think there is a virus.

I mentioned thrips in responce to the question of what else could cause a color break and then said it was not thrips here.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:32 AM

Jerry, thanks, I'm waiting on a pic of a bloom from the plant mine is divided off of for comparison. Some of the flowers bloomed normal, some not so much (on the mom plant) and he thinks it was some sort of insect or bacterial infection and insists its not a virus. I guess I might have to send a piece in for testing if I really want to rule it out?

Oh and thanks for the update I forgot no more "Blc." for these hybrids right? I thought I read that somewhere!
Old 04-06-2010, 07:56 AM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,389 Times in 3,096 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
Just to throw this out there...I have had some strange coloration reactions on a couple of flowers when they were exposed to too cold of temps while in late bud stage.

I've never heard or read about this anywhere and it might not have anything to do w/what's going w/your plant... but I saw it on 2 of my catts a couple of years ago. Along w/the coloration abnormality...the petals weren't as smooth. If that makes sense. I knew they had been exposed to colder than normal temps so I chopped the flowers. The next blooming was perfectly normal.

JungleMel (06-03-2010)
Old 04-06-2010, 08:24 AM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrina View Post
I knew they had been exposed to colder than normal temps so I chopped the flowers. The next blooming was perfectly normal.
Did you have them tested?