Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 07:24 AM

NewGrower is on a distinguished road
A little nervous... (black spots)

Hello everyone!
For those of you that saw my older thread (Wild Orchids!) know that I happened upon some wild orchids that were attached to firewood my Father had found.
Anyways recently the one of the top is "acting" funny and I am noticing round black circles/spots on it. The one that is lower on the piece of firewood has also stopped growth and I can now see some smaller black dots on it.... so I am thinking whatever it is has spread :-X

I am hoping someone on here can help me figure out what exactly is is (fingers crossed its not a virus because its on my patio with 7 other orchids)

Thanks in advanced!
Attached Thumbnails
070.jpg  
Old 06-28-2011, 07:26 AM

Also might I add , when I first got the plant it was taking off and looked very happy. About 2 weeks ago all the new growth slowed waaaay down or stopped completely and the roots started to look funny (a few have even turned slightly greenesh... not the normal green when watered colored either).
Thanks!
Old 06-28-2011, 07:35 AM
Executive Senior Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Greybeard is on a distinguished road
I honestly cannot tell you what this is, it looks like some sort of infection, or shock from being moved The one thing I would say is quarintine it to be safe until a more experienced forum member can help Sorry I could not be of more help but rescue shoud come soon Good luck
Old 06-28-2011, 08:15 AM

I have had it for months now so I am guessing it is not shock.... It was in very dry conditions before I got it so right away it took off from getting watered regularly.
Ugh! I feel like I can never catch a break with my orchids, there is always something wrong hahaha!
Old 06-28-2011, 08:23 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,111 Times in 1,016 Posts
Leafmite is on a distinguished road
Hi!
Try this website: Diagnosing Orchid Problems It's fun and informative!
Leafmite
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Leafmite For This Useful Post:
JBee (07-13-2011), koshki (07-22-2011), NewGrower (06-28-2011), pikkumyy (06-28-2011)
Old 06-28-2011, 08:31 AM

Thats a super cool website Leafmite, thanks!
Although it didnt have anything that looked like whats going on with my plant (so maybe thats a good thing ha ha)
Old 06-28-2011, 09:42 PM

NancyH is on a distinguished road
Hi New Grower,
Growing wild orchids that have been removed from thier natural habitat can be difficult. First of all it is important to identify your new (wild) orchid. Then once done, you can look up information as to what this particular spicies likes for its optimum growing enviornment. Sun, shade, wet dry? Maybe you watered it when it was used to a long "rest" period of dry conditions and now it is off its cycle. I know I have found wild orchids on downed tree limbs in Costa Rica and I managed to kill them all. But, I did not know about this site, I did not even have any electricity, let alone internet. Try and find out what it is, then mimic it's natural enviornment.
good Luck and have fun,
Nancy
Old 06-28-2011, 11:33 PM
Executive Senior Member

Thanked 1,321 Times in 686 Posts
otis 226 is on a distinguished road
Well, being far from an expert on orchid diseases, I would venture a guess that this looks more like a bacterial problem than a viral one. That said, probably isolation, as Greybeard suggests wouldn't be a bad idea and hopefully another more experienced member will be along shortly. I've got an Epidendrum radicans, which is a ground orchid that has black spots on some of the foliage and I've read where this species is prone to a bacterial infection that can affect some foliage, but not the flowers or overall condition of the plant.
I think I'd be more concerned about the unnatural green color shoing up on some of the roots, myself.
Good luck with this,
Tony
Old 06-29-2011, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 4,422 Times in 3,810 Posts
orchids4me is on a distinguished road
Well was the fire wood tree cut in your area ?
Are you letting it get direct sun ? If so remember its growing on a tree which means it was getting diffused light from tree leaves and branches. From the pic you took of it it looks like its getting to much full sun... What time of day are you watering it and what temps night/ day are you currently having? Didn't someone determine it was some sort of native Epidendrum or Encyclia of sorts? I'm trying to remember which was said back then. But Nancy G is right need to figure out what it is to get its culture. But being it was under the canopy of a tree previously shad it a bit.

Daisy 2003 -2013
Life is too short.... Buy more orchids!!!!

Emmaye
Old 06-29-2011, 11:10 PM
Anky

I have a similar problem with my 7 yr old vanda. It has black spots on the bottom four leaves and on the outer ends(see pictures on my other thread)...I followed the advice of a member and wiped it with neem oil...I was scared it was a virus; so I bought a virus tester and it is negative(WHEW!)... I am looking for results of the neem oil after a week.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:22 PM

That picture was taken just before 7am the other morning so the light you see is a flash... It is on my patio in the south east corner so there is only light coming from the north and west but its through a screen and a tinted slider (the sliders move so I try to let more sunlight in on that side because my orchids are on the back wall not right next to a screen).
Some of the roots are shrinking up as well, although I thought I had been over watering it (misting daily) so I really dont know!
Old 07-01-2011, 09:27 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,111 Times in 1,016 Posts
Leafmite is on a distinguished road
If the spots/ markings aren't getting any worse, I wouldn't be too worried about them. I have some leaves that are like this from too much light when not quite adjusted and the orchids seem to be doing well otherwise. I did have a thought about the roots. I have my own personal rule about my own orchids' roots and it is this: The growing tips should not be white during the growing season. I believe (no idea if it is true) that if the growing tips dry out too much, they stop growing. I use large lava rock so I can't overwater. Yours are mounted, same idea. Misting might not be getting them wet enough or maybe, in your climate, they are drying too quickly. Humidity can really vary from day to day, week to week. So, that's just a possibility. I know we all wish there was a computer program that we could send a picture of our plant and get a precise answer. Maybe someday.
Good luck,
Leafmite
Old 07-01-2011, 03:21 PM

Haha Leafmite, wouldnt that be awesome!

I am assuming if it was something bad or scary someone would have said something so I do feel better!
I am going to try to "clean it up" tomorrow... Hoping that will help!