Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2008, 01:43 PM

blk_seedorchid is on a distinguished road
Unhappy 2 sick Phals

Hello fellow Geeks!

I have 2 sick Phals which I've attached thumbs. There's probably a string that talks about this disease/virus can someone please help in pointing me in the right direction? Or even your advise would truly help, I'd like to save them if it's possible. Thx in advance for your help!:
Attached Thumbnails
imag0006.jpg   imag0007.jpg   imag0008.jpg  
Old 09-14-2008, 02:42 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,285 Posts
mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
Can you explain how you care for them? How long have you had them - what is their history? Are they outdoors or indoors?
Old 09-14-2008, 05:48 PM

I've had these for at least 3 years, they're located outdoors on my lanai and get filtered late evening sun for approx 2-3 hrs. Watering once a week feeding with worm poop weekly and 20-20-20 once monthly. These are two of 10 Phals i've collected. Hope this helps
Old 09-14-2008, 10:20 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

articuno75 is on a distinguished road
The leaves that have the "burns" looks just like that to me, burns. Almost like water droplets that were left and the sun magnified it. Even the top leaf of the biggest Phal I see spots that look like that, but with out clearer pics diagnosis is uncertain.

Now on the little Phal I see a different type of spotting/speckling. This looks almost like sucking bites from insects. But it could also be from water spotting as well.

Is there any way you could get clearer pics for us so that we could give a better diagnosis?

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed: in life that which is unnoticed has the most power.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:16 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,285 Posts
mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
I was also thinking sunburn spots - so it was nice to see Jenny said it first.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:00 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayres View Post
I was also thinking sunburn spots - so it was nice to see Jenny said it first.

Great minds think alike

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed: in life that which is unnoticed has the most power.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:58 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,166 Posts
patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
When I first looked at the pictures, I thought sunburn also. Would it affect the smaller leaf on the left hand plant, and not the others, though? I guess if it hit the plant just right it could, huh? Try moving the plants to where the sun doesn't hit them quite as much, and see if that doesn't help. Keep us posted. If it get's worse, let us know! Good luck.
blk_seedorchid (09-15-2008)
Old 09-15-2008, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket

brookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of light
I agree with everyone else, sunburn was the first thing that crossed my mind. I would keep an eye on them to make sure the spots don't spread, as their defenses are probably down from the damage, and it is easy for an infection to set in. I don't necessarily think the light was too high, maybe move them a little away from the sun. The thing that you might want to change, is the time you water, or making sure that the leaves are gently dried off after watering so it doesn't magnify the sun on them. I know that FL is receiving a lot of rain though, so moving them away from the sun may be the best bet, as you can't stand over them to dry the leaves off every time it rains.
The Following User Says Thank You to brookn For This Useful Post:
blk_seedorchid (09-15-2008)
Old 09-15-2008, 09:35 PM

Sunburn Hmmmm....U think so That was the last thought from my orchid mind. I'll try anything though to save them. They both bloomed beautifully this year. Should I cut the spots off? The smaller one is growing a new leaf and as noted the taller ones new leaf is turning yellow. Both were repotted this year and were doing great. Brookn I'll try to water earlier and will move them awayfrom the sun. I'll see if I can get some better pictures and keep you all posted. Thx so much everyone for the advise!
Old 09-15-2008, 09:47 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

I wouldn't cut the leaves. They may look unsightly, but they still supply nourishment to the plant.

As for the yellowing on the newest leaf. Keep an eye on it. I still think it's from the burn, but then again, if you are getting a lot of rain and if there is water collecting on the crown, there is a possibility of crown rot.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:47 PM
Junior Member Photobucket

LouisW is on a distinguished road
For Phals I would stay away from any direct sunlight at all. I would also not cut off the leaves unless the spots spread which would probably mean something of viral or bacterial nature. The roots look alright though. Thats a good sign.

I would bag them in order to preserve humidity and moisture and put them in a brightish spot out of the sun and leave them for a few weeks. Sometimes they make some good progress when you give them some privacy.
The Following User Says Thank You to LouisW For This Useful Post:
blk_seedorchid (09-16-2008)
Old 09-15-2008, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket

brookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of light
Louis, I am sorry, but I disagree with you on bagging these plants. IMO this will just lead to more trouble. The humidity where blk-seed lives should actually be sufficient. I believe that the humidity there is generally in excess of 70%? I live in a fairly high humidity area (most of the time), and bagging sick plants almost always leads to mold or fungus. It should recover nicely with some TLC.
The Following User Says Thank You to brookn For This Useful Post:
blk_seedorchid (09-16-2008)
Old 09-16-2008, 07:32 PM

Try 80 to 90% humidity! As soon as I walk out I'm sweating I have tried bagging once before and as mentioned lead to mold or fungus However I won't cut the leaves & I will put them in a brightish spot out of the sun and give plenty TLC. Thanks again you all are great friends with excellent advise!