Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Mounting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2007, 05:42 PM

Aleksa is on a distinguished road
Tree fern?

I've read that only tree fern can be used for mounting orchids without previous treatment. I have no access to tree fern. Can i use something else? I don't have time to wait for a months to prepare mounts for putting orchid on it!

Can someone show me the pic of tree fern? I don't know how that thing looks like!
Old 06-30-2007, 08:31 PM
Executive Senior Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

arleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rough
Hi Aleska,

Here is a link to pictures of tree fern products -- for mounting or potting orchids.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:44 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 5,451 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
I'm hapopy to say that what you read is wrong. You can use lots of different things to mount orchids on. I have lots of mounted orchids, some on tree fern and others on various types of wood, branches, cork bark, even a piece of untreated board. Some of these mounts I picked up in the park.

I see you're in Europe so your shouldn't have any trouble finding tree fern pieces or cork or something else to mount your orchids on. I like a piece of cork bark because it has lots of cracks for roots to anchor in. Check nusery supply stores, orchid nuseries, search the web for orchid nuseries and supplies (you may find mail order is faster if you have nothing locally).

Good luck.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:27 PM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,356 Posts
fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
I am also happy to let you know that what you read is wrong.

Treefern and manfern are good also have alook at the links for more ideas
I hope it helps you

http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/orc...-mounting.html

http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/gen...Growing+Spaces
Old 07-01-2007, 12:35 AM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,356 Posts
fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
I have included a few of my mounted orchids to give you some ideas

I hope they help

pic 1 from left to right

1) man fern mount
2) Cork mount
3) Cork mount
4) Cork mount
5) Cork mount
Attached Thumbnails
muntedorchidsandthedods1.jpg   muntedorchidsandthedods1-1.jpg   muntedorchidsandthedods1-2.jpg   muntedorchidsandthedods1-3.jpg   muntedorchidsandthedods1-4.jpg  
Old 07-01-2007, 05:34 AM

Aleksa is on a distinguished road
Thanks everybody

In Montenegro there is no orchid nurseries. Even in Garden shops it is really rare to find orchid soil! Because of that I need to make mixes myself. I think that I'll go in a park, and take some bark from some pine, and use that as a mount!
Old 07-31-2007, 06:56 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,239 Times in 532 Posts
jerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond repute
Avoid pine in that it will deteriorate in 2-3 years. find Oak, cypress, grapevine or other hard woods.

the article you saw about treating the wood first was probably talking about driftwood. Driftwood must be treated to remove the salt in the wood if it came from salt water areas.

Do not use pressure treated wood as the PTW is toxic. (it used to be arsnic)

Old 07-31-2007, 07:08 AM

flowerchild is on a distinguished road
Jerrymeola: what about driftwood that comes from a freshwater lake? Do you have to treat it still? If so how do I go about doing that? I picked up some unique pieces while at the beach a couple of weeks ago!! thanks Cindy aka flowerchild