Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid - hydroponic/semi-hydroponic

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By orchids4me
  • 1 Post By empress
  • 1 Post By empress

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 11:14 AM

mootattoo1 is on a distinguished road
White mold

I was nosing around at my phals today, noticing that all of them had stalled with the growth of their leaves. ( all in s/h) I had moved them to a different corner of my grow area about 3 weeks ago. I started moving the top inch of the media to find WHITE MOLD in all of them!!! I unpotted them to find quite a bit of mold. So I trimmed the moldy roots & watered them with a Physan20 solution & will now add a little Physan to the water for a week or so. Does anyone else have trouble with white mold & s/h? I have had these Phals in this for months (and they are LOVING it!! Lots of new roots along with the moldy ones). I think it's cuz I moved them to a less breezy part of the space.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 4,422 Times in 3,810 Posts
orchids4me is on a distinguished road
Actually changing media from say mounts. Or bark to semi hydro or moss to bark it kind of shocks the older roots and they do at times die off. That's why It'sstressed over and over to many members who ask about re potting, we reply with "when new growth and new roots are growing."
Its usually the new roots that adapt to the media better than the older roots so you end up with some dying while the new ones are growing and adapting...
So the mold you are seeing is possibly the older roots that have died and are decomposing. These newer roots you are seeing are the ones that will be adapting to the semi hydro set up.
So cleaning it all up so there's's not a big melting pot of decomposing roots was a good move just re pot them again and these new roots should take off and grow especially if they were already long enough to touch down in this media set up.
Just keep an eye on them and give them what they need "good culture" flushed pots. Regularly and fert. Then watch them grow
If you decided now you want to change how you are groing them while the new roots are young with green growth tipa active this is the best time to do this as these roots will adapt to what method you are going to use (potted, mounted, semi hydro) but this is your window for this growth season for them (while roots are growing and active growth tips)

Keep us posted and if you switch up what your doing, just remeber good culture and regular pot flushing fro mineral salt build up in the media from fert. The best time to fert is when in active growth also.
Good luck !!
empress likes this.

Daisy 2003 -2013
Life is too short.... Buy more orchids!!!!

Emmaye

Last edited by orchids4me; 07-29-2012 at 10:50 AM. Reason: added
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to orchids4me For This Useful Post:
Lachri (07-29-2012), mootattoo1 (07-29-2012)
Old 07-29-2012, 07:40 PM
Banned

rlilia is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by orchids4me View Post
Actually changing media from say mounts. Or bark to semi hydro or moss to bark it kind of shocks the older roots and they do at times die off. That's why It'sstressed over and over to many members who ask about re potting, we reply with "when new growth and new roots are growing."
Its usually the new roots that adapt to the media better than the older roots so you end up with some dying while the new ones are growing and adapting...
Thanks for the reminder and the words of wisdom re new roots!

On that note, how would you recommend to transplant a Phal after it's been sphaged-n-baged? I have one that started showing lots of promise as it's started growing not only roots but also a leaf (actually, the leaf came up first, for some reasons ). The roots are still rather tiny at the moment but I have about 7 of them!.....

After so much work on the plant's part, I'm getting a bit nervous about the next step when the time is right. I grow all my Phals in a bark mix but would that be OK for an orchid that was nursed in a Spagh-N-Bag type of environment?

Would appreciate any tips!

Lilia

Last edited by rlilia; 07-29-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:07 PM

empress is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlilia View Post
Thanks for the reminder and the words of wisdom re new roots!

On that note, how would you recommend to transplant a Phal after it's been sphaged-n-baged? I have one that started showing lots of promise as it's started growing not only roots but also a leaf (actually, the leaf came up first, for some reasons ). The roots are still rather tiny at the moment but I have about 7 of them!.....

After so much work on the plant's part, I'm getting a bit nervous about the next step when the time is right. I grow all my Phals in a bark mix but would that be OK for an orchid that was nursed in a Spagh-N-Bag type of environment?

Would appreciate any tips!

Lilia
Hey Lilia! For a orchid fresh out of ICU I wouldn't move into S/H. After getting over a huge shock you would just shock it again. But if its been out of ICU for a while then I would suggest S/H right away! before those new roots get accustomed to a different environment.

@Moo: I have just been getting into S/H and I haven't had any problem with mold... Wait, scratch that! I did have mold but it was on the backbulb of Cym. Debbie Ford. But never within the medium itself. Perhaps you didn't trim all the dead roots before packing into the S/H? But repotting was a definite good move.
Hope you get your plants growing again!
mootattoo1 likes this.

Garden Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Journal Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Photography

Old 07-29-2012, 08:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by empress View Post
Hey Lilia! For a orchid fresh out of ICU I wouldn't move into S/H. After getting over a huge shock you would just shock it again. But if its been out of ICU for a while then I would suggest S/H right away! before those new roots get accustomed to a different environment.
Hi Empress, thanks for a quick reply!
Sorry, what's ICU?

Lilia
Old 07-29-2012, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 4,422 Times in 3,810 Posts
orchids4me is on a distinguished road
@ Lilla- hi I'm glad you're having success with the sphag /bag. (It never worked for me 100% so that gives me hope with that process.
What do you have your other phals potted up in ? Its really about giving it what needs which ever way you grow it. You have any updated pics of this Phal?
Me personally I would probably use a med bark, charcoal, perlite mix mine seem to do better in this. Ones I have in sphag I put them in a clay pot witleca or peanuts in the root ball area. And some I'm trying out leca as a medium with a touch of sphag topping on some others are mounted with sphag or on tree fern slabs so these will grow many ways as I have all I listed going on. But yours is coming out of a very humid environment in the bag around its roots you may want to either use sphag depending on your climate and how you water. With sphag let it get crunchy before watering again clay pots help the even drying. Now I ask what kind of waterer are you ? Heavy, light, time constricted ? I'm a bit time constricted so my trials and errors will tell me which is best in the end for me. But seems mounted or bark mix in my climate.
Is the top of your bag kept open? If not you may want to start to acclmat it to the out side conditions slowly
I would love to see the root development. If you have an existing thread on this one ? If so post some current pics and we will continue there as to no hijack this thread with the Phal
Hope to see new pics soon

Daisy 2003 -2013
Life is too short.... Buy more orchids!!!!

Emmaye
Old 07-29-2012, 09:23 PM

empress is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlilia View Post
Hi Empress, thanks for a quick reply!
Sorry, what's ICU?

Lilia
Oh, ha ha! Its what I call the sphag and bag (or, in my case, sphag and box) method. It is a medical term for Intensive Care Unit. Like in the hospitals?
I am a nurse so everything around me has to be nursing related.
rlilia likes this.

Garden Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Journal Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Photography

Old 07-29-2012, 10:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by empress View Post
Oh, ha ha! Its what I call the sphag and bag (or, in my case, sphag and box) method. It is a medical term for Intensive Care Unit. Like in the hospitals?
I am a nurse so everything around me has to be nursing related.
Got you!

Thanks!

Lilia