Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid - hydroponic/semi-hydroponic

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ray

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 01:32 PM
Member Photobucket

OrchidLoverMD is on a distinguished road
repotting new Psychopsis in s/h

Hi Everyone!
I just received a psychopsis Alba last week via web. The plant arrived under very cold shipping conditions and the bulbs were very wrinkled. I have watered it twice since and the bulbs have started to plump up and it also looks like one of the sheaths might be opening soon. My questions are:

1. How well does this type of orchid do in semi-hydro?
2. Is it too soon to repot it (the instructions from the nursery says to wait 30 days or the plant might suffer severe damage). Is 30 days typical for repotting new plants? Right now its in a 3.5" pot and there are 5 p/b in this tiny space and three spikes. There are a lot of roots winding around the top of the medium..but they look kinda dry. Does this mean they are dead? I've attached a picture to give you a better idea.
3. The plant is in sphagnum. I thought Oncidiums like loose airy medium?

Thanks so much for your help!!
Monica
Attached Thumbnails
psychopsis-alba-bulbs.jpg  
Old 01-27-2013, 01:53 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 4,080 Times in 1,190 Posts
Shannara is on a distinguished road
I have never attempted semi-hydro, but with my Psychos I have them in clay pots using a Stalite, Leca, and charcoal mix. From what I have read they are sensitive to sour medium so I went a little extra on charcoal. They also are sensitive about being repotted. You pretty much want to select a pot they can grow in for quite some time and leave them be, but at the same time nothing so big it will cause rot. The medium you use really determines just how big of a pot you could get away with.

Here is a care guide that might help you also:

Oncidium Papilio (Psychopsis) Orchid Care Culture

I don't know if that answers any of your questions. Hopefully someone else will chime in who has these in s/h.

Shann~

>>
My 2012 Grow Area<<
Old 01-27-2013, 02:05 PM
Member Photobucket

Psychopsis repotting and s/h

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannara View Post
I have never attempted semi-hydro, but with my Psychos I have them in clay pots using a Stalite, Leca, and charcoal mix. From what I have read they are sensitive to sour medium so I went a little extra on charcoal. They also are sensitive about being repotted. You pretty much want to select a pot they can grow in for quite some time and leave them be, but at the same time nothing so big it will cause rot. The medium you use really determines just how big of a pot you could get away with.

I don't know if that answers any of your questions. Hopefully someone else will chime in who has these in s/h.

Shann~
Thank you Shann!! I'll check out that website.
I really would like to try the S/H with the Psychopsis. I have read that Oncidiums do very well in this medium and I'm trying to convert some other plants as well. Would like to hear other's experiences with this type of plant (and s/h) before I DIVE in! LOL!!

monica
Old 01-28-2013, 05:27 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 4,422 Times in 3,810 Posts
orchids4me is on a distinguished road
I have some of these and they can be temperamental and sulk when re potted so not so sure about s/h with these guys but i do know they don't like to be re potted often i agree with Shann here.

Daisy 2003 -2013
Life is too short.... Buy more orchids!!!!

Emmaye
Old 01-28-2013, 07:52 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 6,637 Times in 2,844 Posts
Brooke is on a distinguished road
The best time to move anything to s/h is when a new growth with new roots starting to grow. Sometimes the old roots do not adapt to the new culture and you lose them so you need the plant growing new roots.

Good luck with switching it over.

Brooke
Old 01-28-2013, 08:40 AM
Executive Senior Member

Thanked 1,512 Times in 743 Posts
Ray is on a distinguished road
Monica,

Shannara is right about them not liking to be repotted, and Brooke also gave good advice about when to repot.

I bought a bunch of Psychopsis Hildos plants for resale, and though I had sold them all. However, one must have gotten knocked over, and fell out of its pot and into a S/H pot sitting on the floor of the greenhouse behind the bench. I didn't even know it had happened until a flower spike peeked up above the bench, but it has now bloomed twice more.
PaulB likes this.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:30 AM

bearded orchid is on a distinguished road
I have two in s/h. Put them in a couple months ago. Both seem okay so far. My only advice would be to err on the side of caution about how you place them once transferred. Both of mine initially had their new leads rot because of the constant moisture from the leca. They've seemed to adjust now, but just a heads up.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:51 AM
Member Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearded orchid View Post
I have two in s/h. Put them in a couple months ago. Both seem okay so far. My only advice would be to err on the side of caution about how you place them once transferred. Both of mine initially had their new leads rot because of the constant moisture from the leca. They've seemed to adjust now, but just a heads up.
Thanks, Phil!! What size pot did you move yours into? Mine are currently in a 3.5" pot..not much room left for another bulb let alone more than one. I read they don't like to be repotted so move them into a large enough pot where they can stay for a few years...do you think a 5" pot would be too big? Most of the time it's suggested to move the plant up one pot size (and then I read somewhere else that psychopsis like to be tight)...seems like a lot of contradicting information, LOL...Did you have any buds/blooms on yours when you repotted them?

monica
Old 01-28-2013, 01:15 PM

bearded orchid is on a distinguished road
No blooms or spikes on either of them. Both are near blooming size. The smaller one is in a 3.5 inch s/h pot and 5 inch for the other.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:34 PM

crjsci1 is on a distinguished road
Re: repotting new Psychopsis in S/H

Hi,

I have a Psychopsis growing in S/H that has two spikes and has flowered multiple times.

As others have commented, the best time to repot to S/H is when there is new growth.

It seems like each orchid is somewhat different in terms of how long it takes them to grow new roots and fully adapt to S/H.

My Psychopsis took multiple months to adapt to S/H and it stopped blooming during those months, but started blooming again on both spikes once it adapted to S/H.

Cheers,

Chris