Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid - hydroponic/semi-hydroponic

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By NiNiDazzle
  • 1 Post By ARodney
  • 1 Post By orchids4me
  • 1 Post By Ron
  • 2 Post By Ray

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2011, 10:57 PM

NiNiDazzle is on a distinguished road
Paph Not Potted Deep Enough?

I was reading a thread earlier today and I'm thinking I may not have potted my paphs deep enough. I grow all my plants in S/H and they all have wet feet/dry buts.

I can't remember which thread i was reading earlier since I was out and about, but someone said that paphs should be potted 3/4 of an inch deep. Would this hold true in S/H also?

Yes I still want flowers for Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, my birthday... Just make sure it's an orchid (WITH ROOTS).
Old 09-16-2011, 11:36 PM
Executive Senior Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 2,306 Times in 796 Posts
orchidea is on a distinguished road
The way I understand this - most if not all plants need to be potted deeper when in S/H. The reason why is - the top layer of LECA is dry most of the time. Assuming Paphs need to be potted deeper even if they are in any most common mediums like bark mix or similar, I think they have to be even deeper in LECA than any other plant...... That's my logic of course, not the rule of any kind......
I don't grow Paphs in LECA, so wait till someone who does respond. But I do pot them deeper into bark mix, at least deeper than Catts or Phals.....
Your paph looks a bit high to me......
Old 09-16-2011, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidea View Post
The way I understand this - most if not all plants need to be potted deeper when in S/H. The reason why is - the top layer of LECA is dry most of the time. Assuming Paphs need to be potted deeper even if they are in any most common mediums like bark mix or similar, I think they have to be even deeper in LECA than any other plant...... That's my logic of course, not the rule of any kind......
I don't grow Paphs in LECA, so wait till someone who does respond. But I do pot them deeper into bark mix, at least deeper than Catts or Phals.....
Your paph looks a bit high to me......
That's pretty good reasoning. I just started growing paphs and am learning on the fly. Hopefully someone who grows them in LECA will see this and share their wisdom.

Yes I still want flowers for Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, my birthday... Just make sure it's an orchid (WITH ROOTS).
The Following User Says Thank You to NiNiDazzle For This Useful Post:
orchidea (09-16-2011)
Old 09-17-2011, 12:10 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,285 Posts
mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
I don't grow my paphs in S/H, but I do grow quite a few in mixed media - and all are deeper than you have this one.......
Old 09-17-2011, 02:43 AM

Well, I went ahead and re-potted most of my paphs tonight. They must like something about my culture since none of them had rotted roots and all of them were making at least 2-3 new roots plus 1-3 new growths.
NeoOrchid likes this.

Old 09-17-2011, 05:47 AM
Member Photobucket

ARodney is on a distinguished road
Not to steal Linda's thread but why do you have to pot them deeper than regular orchids? I just started to collect paphs. I have about 5 or 6 seedlings. One of them I will have to repot in the next couple if months. Just gathering information. Guess I'm of the school, buy now, learn later =).
rlilia likes this.

The only two things I HAVE to do is breathe and die, everthing else is a choice. I choose to buy orchids
Old 09-17-2011, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 4,422 Times in 3,810 Posts
orchids4me is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARodney View Post
Not to steal Linda's thread but why do you have to pot them deeper than regular orchids? I just started to collect paphs. I have about 5 or 6 seedlings. One of them I will have to repot in the next couple if months. Just gathering information. Guess I'm of the school, buy now, learn later =).
Hi ,
Paphs are semi-terrestrial and like to stay moist, the roots start right at the base of the plant and new growths come from right there also and develop their own roots as well if up high as I understand it the roots dry out and can die. I don't know if you noticed when you buy them they always come in taller pots, and are planted. Down to the bottom leaves. When you remove the pot you will see they usually have between 2 to 4 at least really long roots hence why they also need the taller pots. But mainly they don't like to dry out completly and roots need to stay moist is why potted just a bit deeper because they are semi-terrestrial plants....
Hope that all made some kind of sense (its late lol)
rlilia likes this.

Daisy 2003 -2013
Life is too short.... Buy more orchids!!!!

Emmaye
The Following User Says Thank You to orchids4me For This Useful Post:
rlilia (04-13-2012)
Old 09-17-2011, 06:30 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 3,967 Times in 1,720 Posts
Ron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by orchids4me View Post
Hi ,
Paphs are semi-terrestrial and like to stay moist, the roots start right at the base of the plant and new growths come from right there also and develop their own roots as well if up high as I understand it the roots dry out and can die. I don't know if you noticed when you buy them they always come in taller pots, and are planted. Down to the bottom leaves. When you remove the pot you will see they usually have between 2 to 4 at least really long roots hence why they also need the taller pots. But mainly they don't like to dry out completly and roots need to stay moist is why potted just a bit deeper because they are semi-terrestrial plants....
Hope that all made some kind of sense (its late lol)

Emmaye coverd it pretty well, basically you need to have the bottom inch of the plant or so covered with potting mix.
reason, 2 really, first if the new growth come out it needs to come out of the old plant in a position were it s base is covered in potting mix.
Then, as it mature and grows it produces roots, these need to be under the mix so they can grow straigh down into the mix.

Second part is if the are not covered by the mix, most like they will be what is called air pruned, that is when the baby new roots come out and hit the air the dry out quickly and stop Growing.

Other issue Emmaye raises is very valid, they need deep pots so thier roots can go down into the mix a fair way before hitting the bottom and then twirly around the bottom of the pot and become root bound.

I hope this help but I do not grow semi H, all mine grow very successfully in CoCo nuggets as will many of my post testify.
Cheerio
NeoOrchid likes this.

My friend Missy
Good growing, Ron
Old 09-17-2011, 06:43 PM

Thanks for the great explanations everyone. Guess I will need to re-re-pot again tonight. They are potted about 3/4 of an inch down now, but I will make then even deeper and use taller pots.

Good thing I only have 10-15 right now. (I don't count. It's bad luck. ) I'll stick with these few until I can bloom at least three of them. If I can do that, I'll be adding more to my collection.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:28 PM
Member Photobucket

Thank you Emmaye and Ron. A few more questions. Do I put peanut foam in the bottom of the pot, like I would do a regular orchid? I purchased a paph and seedling mix that is supposed to be good for growing paphs. Also, if I got a seedling about 4 months ago, will I still have to repot in two months? I read someplace paph seedling liked to be repotted after six months. I'm also only fertilizing 1/2 strength once a month cause I read they are very sensitive to fertilize, and when I water I let the water flush thru so the salts for the fertilzer isn't damaging the roots. Do you think I should still repot? I'm sorry I'm asking so much questions but so far I've collected 4 species and 2 hybrids.

The only two things I HAVE to do is breathe and die, everthing else is a choice. I choose to buy orchids

Last edited by ARodney; 09-17-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:33 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,053 Times in 876 Posts
Daethen is on a distinguished road
Well, I have learned that I have a few repots in my future as well.

don't sweat the small stuff and in the end it's all small stuff
Old 09-17-2011, 07:38 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,285 Posts
mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
IMHO the only reason to use styrofoam in the bottom is if you have your pots placed in a location where there is a possibility of the pots wicking up some water over time - hence rotten roots/not drying out enough. I have an excellent hybridizer in my area and she doesn't use them with any of her large greenhouse full of paphs. What is your seedling planted in? I'm trying to figure out why you would think you need to repot in only two months? How big is the seedling now?
Old 09-17-2011, 08:11 PM
Member Photobucket

Apparently the seeding has two or three brothers or sisters, so the pot looks a little crowded. I think I'm gonna have to separate them. These were seedling from flask. They are potted in a seedling mix of fine bark with what looks like charchoal and pieces of sphag. It's in a 1 1/2 inch round pot so I'm getting a little concerned. I'll try to post a picture of them tomorrow. Maybe that will help me out better.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:58 PM
Executive Senior Member

Thanked 1,512 Times in 743 Posts
Ray is on a distinguished road
While there have been a lot of good comments in this thread, they are a bit too narrowly-focused for my liking, and might lead the uninitiated into some incorrect assumptions, so if I may...

#1 - As a rule, plants should be grown to the same depth in semi-hydroponics as they would in a more traditional culture method.

#2 - Potting an orchid deeper should be avoided, as it can lead to more rots. Rhizomes should be AT the surface not under it. Yes, paphs have rhizomes.

#3 - Whether the LECA is moist to the top or not - and how far down the apparent "dry line" is - is determined by the physical properties of the brand of LECA you use, which controls the wicking rate, the distance from the reservoir to the top, as well as your ambient temperature, humidity, air movement, and light levels, all of which affect the evaporation rate.

If wicking beats evaporation, it's wet all the way to the top. If evaporation wins, then it's not. "Tuning" and improving your growing conditions is a better approach than compensating by potting depth.

Yes, minor adjustments in plant depth can be used to compensate for overly-dry conditions, but if your ambient humidity goes up for any reason, you're setting the plants up for issues.
tom499 and snazzyboots like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ray For This Useful Post:
Linus_Cello (09-23-2011)
Old 04-12-2012, 07:54 PM

bumpman is on a distinguished road
First off I want to thank Ray and all the SH pros for their excellent advice. My chids are either mounted or in SH and knock wood are doing well as evidenced by strong reblooming. At Xmas I got two warm mottled paphs as gifts and following this thread would like to put them in SH (Hydroton is what I have now). So here's my q; under current conditions my SH pots are dry on top - could I lightly dress the top half inch or so with a finer, moist medium to keep the rhizome moist for these paphs? Thanks!