Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid - hydroponic/semi-hydroponic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 10:04 PM

Chocolatecoconut is on a distinguished road
Newbie: Is my Oncidium Heavenly Scent Helathy?

Hi!

I just received a Oncidium Heavenly Scent as a gift from my sister. This is my first plant ever! The orchid was planted in s/h and arrived healthy via mail order except a long leave was bent and lightly scarred.

It has been under my possession now for 5 days now, and I watered it the first day I received it since the s/h pot was shipped dry. Today, I realized that there was slight pleating of the leaves and shriveling on its pseudobulbs...the younger one is more serious.

There are two spikes on it right now from the mature pseudobulb, and the long spike had several nodes that are kind of opening up(beginning signs of branching?), and the lower nodes look dried out and fibrous....I don't know if this is normal...

I have been reading a lot on the forum regarding wrinkling pseudobulb, and pleating of the leaves due to a lack of water or irregular water...but can this still happen in s/h? there is still water in the outside pot, and I was instructed to water again when the outside pot is empty.

Should I water it again now? Is the shriveling due to low water level? One of the leaves is slightly yellowing and rippling and not upright...so I am wondering if it is receiving too much light. I placed it against a west facing window that is dotted(provides partial shade). Day temperature is 78F to 89F, but central air cools it down once it reaches 89F. The leaves never feel too warm to touch although the thermostat placed next to the plant(not in the medium) reads 89F. Night temp is warm and between 73F to 79F. Sun is very bright throughout the day and in the afternoon it receives direct sunlight through the shaded windows.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:52 PM

digriz is on a distinguished road
Pictures would help a lot.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:03 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 3,967 Times in 1,720 Posts
Ron is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the Geeks forum, I photo will certainly help us get an idea of the plants problems

My friend Missy
Good growing, Ron
Old 03-19-2013, 01:36 AM

photo

Hi!

Sorry, I was trying to figure out how to upload the photo...thank you for all your help. hopefully, this uploads the photo

Old 03-19-2013, 01:51 AM

Hopefully, this does it!

Old 03-19-2013, 03:04 AM

digriz is on a distinguished road
Looks pretty normal to me. I've never grown anything in those clay looking balls, but the plant looks happy and healthy. Those fiborous things are normal and the leaves will from time to time yellow and fall off. You should have some flowers soon.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:46 PM
Executive Senior Member

trev is on a distinguished road
Pleating of the leaves as well as pseudobulbs indicate that at one point the plant got dehydrated. Looking at your photo, it seems the plant is okay. The pleating look stays, but it does not bother the plant, as long as proper culture is maintained forward.

From the few oncidiums that I have handled, they seem to be really thirsty ones, so it is good your plant is in s/h. And just watch the light, too much may cause the leaves to bleach. Good luck on your plant! Happy growing!
Old 03-19-2013, 07:38 PM

Hi!

Thank you for the reply! I wasn't sure if the ruffling of the leaves was normal as it was different from the pleating that I saw from others' posts...also...there are some black spots that were on the leaves when the plant arrived, and from what I have read...sharry baby(one of its parents) gets black spots easily....but then yesterday, I learned that black spots on the leaves can also indicate fungal infection. How can one tell if it is normal or fungal infection? sorry for the numerous questions and if it seems obvious....newbie here....

black/yellow spots

ruffled leaves

black spotted leaves

Old 03-21-2015, 05:19 AM

billgate123 is on a distinguished road
I have been reading a lot on the forum regarding wrinkling pseudobulb, and pleating of the leaves due to a lack of water or irregular water...but can this still happen in s/h? there is still water in the outside pot, and I was instructed to water again when the outside pot is empty.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:33 PM
Senior Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,238 Times in 930 Posts
Fishmom is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure how your semi-hydro system works, but I have several plants in S/H and I don't let them go completely dry if I can help it. When I water, I dampen all the LECA (clay balls) and the water level is set by the holes which are above the bottom of the container. I try to keep some water in the bottom of the container to maintain the moisture in the LECA.

Here is a link to another thread on this topic; take note of Ray's response, as he is an expert in S/H.

S/H watering

Last edited by Fishmom; 03-22-2015 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:06 AM

Deming is on a distinguished road
Those fiborous things are normal and the leaves will from time to time yellow and fall off. You should have some flowers soon.