Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > The Orchid Growing List > Orchid Growing List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2008, 11:23 AM
Member Photobucket

Chele is on a distinguished road
Red face My orchid list

I started a couple years ago buying bare root Cats - I have 3 large wooden baskets of them. They sure do multiply fast, don't they. Well, I *finally* got my first bloom a couple weeks ago, it arrived with holes in its pedals and died within a couple days -- but another shoot came at the same time the other was dying. OMG is is pretty - and smells heavenly! Large (about 5in across) in shades of lavender-orchid and fushia. Until December 07 these were the only orchids I had. Then came the holidays.

For Christmas my "bestest" friend gave me a gorgeous pot of dancing ladies (I think thats what they are referred to as) Yellow and brown in color. They just finished dying out about a month ago. I'm hoping they bloom again before it gets too hot, but prolly not.

With that gift she also gave me a gift certificate which I spent all on more orchids and then went absolutely crazy. I bought paphs, phals and dens. I think I've forgotten one ;-(

Since I really am new at growing these I came here to learn. I've spent the last couple days reading and absorbing. Whew -- my (bad) growing habits are much different than what I am learning here. And from what I have been reading here - I'm sure you'll be shocked at some of the things I do -- from watering & fertilizer to sun & shade.

Please be patient with me as I will likely have some off the wall questions. Just chalk them up to inexperience when you just can't believe what you're reading. ;-)

Thank you all in advance for having such a delightful place. I look forward to meeting you all.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:26 AM
Member Photobucket

Ps

As soon as I am allowed, I will post pics. I took a few this morning so you can see some of my 'babies'
Old 05-21-2008, 01:40 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

kid a is on a distinguished road
Hi nice to meet you! Well you can certainly find a lot of good advice and information here, as well as support too! And we all love pictures! Welcome!!!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/Ki...ws?ref=profile
Old 05-21-2008, 05:17 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,166 Posts
patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
Hi, Chele! Good to have you with us! We all had to start out somewhere, so ask away! Can't wait to see some of your pics!
Old 05-24-2008, 01:43 PM
Member Photobucket

My Updated Growing List

Now that I know what everyone means about orchids & the tags, I have made the proper list from the tags on my plants.

Cattleyas:
2 of my catt baskets which contained 3 bare root plants each are now tagless/NOID. The Florida sun beat them up long ago and I didn't realize their importance. Those plants are around 4-5 years old, one of which just bloomed for the 1st time. (the other one I burned but its recovering)
T3184 Blc Hawaiian Mini Island Carmela
T3931 Blc Love Knot x Digbyana Carmela
3714 LC Mem Robert Strait Blue Hawaii
T3701 Blc Hawaiian Night
T4337 Pot. Kozo's Scarlet vi-emi 6/15/06
TC066 Blc Mem Anna Balmores convex sm/toga 8/8/06
T3707 Blc Hawaiian Night Life Carmela
T3775 C. Penang 'Black Caesar' cluster purple

Phals:
P. Sogo Ray 'Sun' v Dlps Telda Pearl Bl** (*=not readable)
wk 25-07; F 22-06; PT 87
Dtps. Nobbys Pink Lady No. 1 x Dtps T** Honey 'Pink Face'
wk 34-07; F 44-06; PT 96
3 other phals NOID

Dendrobiums:
D. Burana Princess TB1453
D. White TB1337 wk 45-07
D Eima - Burana
Den Cana
Den Salaya Red
Den MC - CS1066

Paph:
Hsinying Ruby Cherry #2 x Paph Teyon

Oncidiums:
Onc Issaku Nagata Mambo wk 28-07
Onc VCD754 DGRMA Flying High 'Stars and Bars' (? I guess its an Onc the tag doesn't say and it was a gift)

Thats my (current) list and I'm stickin to it... except I may add one here or there once in a while or um.. a week.. LOL

I really like the paphs.. but not a big selection around here but I'm watching/waiting. I also like Oncidiums. As long as I can maintain these plants then I'd surely love to get more. Any suggestions anyone?

Last edited by Chele; 05-24-2008 at 02:26 PM.