Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Flasking and Seed Germination

Like Tree10Likes
  • 6 Post By 2woodensticks
  • 3 Post By 2woodensticks
  • 1 Post By orchids4me

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 02:11 PM

2woodensticks is on a distinguished road
WOW !!!success,phal germination

homebrew media,sterilization with hydrogen peroxide and rubbing alcohol..and that's it..sorry for bad pics but you get the idea..no oven,microwave or pressure cooker..lots of rubbing alcohol in spray bottle..spray and flame spray and flame multi times..seed done with HP and a little soap..did transfer in homemade plastic tub hood with arm holes cut out..media, agar,sugar,fert,potato,pineapple juice,vit b,smidge of homemade charcoal ground to fine power and distilled water..did add some HP to media as it was cooking on stovetop
Attached Thumbnails
dscn2899.jpg   dscn2901.jpg   dscn2902.jpg  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 2woodensticks For This Useful Post:
Catt Mandu (08-08-2013), exasperatus2002 (08-09-2013), orchids4me (08-09-2013), slc (08-08-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 02:18 PM

Silje is on a distinguished road
Cool! I'm waiting for some seeds and will take the big step into flasking myself pretty soon. Really encouraging to see that it can work even if you use simple kitchen and household equipment.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:45 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Catt Mandu is on a distinguished road
Fantastic!

A few questions:

Media recipe something you invented on your own, or is this a recipe from another source (web, book, etc., and if so, can you share??) As I plan to do something similar, I am interested in details on the recipe for the medium.

Similar question about the seed sterilization. are the recommendations for how to sterilize with hydrogen peroxide and alcohol something you came up with, of recommendations from another source?

HP in your post = hydrogen peroxide or something else?

Good luck, hope they continue to grow for you!
Old 08-09-2013, 10:18 AM

catasetum-ian is on a distinguished road
hi,

sterilization with hydrogen peroxide sometimes alone is not enough. another method is to pre soak those seeds in sugar solution (concentration ranges depends on the source you are reading from) over period of 12-24 hours plus a small drop of detergent. this is to activate those dormant spores and then making them more susceptible to hydrogen peroxide.

it is actually very interesting that a home made recipe could germinate a phal because they are considered more "fastidious" at times when it come to DIY media. as for those swelling of the seeds, keep us posted about the progress. because i had some ctsm seeds in home made media and all they do is grow into some yellow protocorn like structure and never turn green and after that stop growing at all.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:28 AM

Silje is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by catasetum-ian View Post
hi,

sterilization with hydrogen peroxide sometimes alone is not enough. another method is to pre soak those seeds in sugar solution (concentration ranges depends on the source you are reading from) over period of 12-24 hours plus a small drop of detergent. this is to activate those dormant spores and then making them more susceptible to hydrogen peroxide.

it is actually very interesting that a home made recipe could germinate a phal because they are considered more "fastidious" at times when it come to DIY media. as for those swelling of the seeds, keep us posted about the progress. because i had some ctsm seeds in home made media and all they do is grow into some yellow protocorn like structure and never turn green and after that stop growing at all.
Completely off topic, but what kind of flower is that avatar of yours? It looks stunning!
Old 08-09-2013, 02:26 PM

2woodensticks is on a distinguished road
I did presoak in weak sugar solution for about 5 hours..media is my interpretation of about 5 diy recipes I found online.. a little from this one and a little from that one..up next I guess is the replate...thanks for all the encouragement and questions..the recipe is as follows 1000ml distilled water,100ml coconut WATER[out of can]50 ml pineapple juice[from can] 1 gram orchid fert,1/4 gram homemade powdered charcoal,1/4 gram Epson salt,7 gram agar[store bought]20 gram boiled to death potato strained and pulverized ,20 gram sugar,1 gram brown sugar,5 gram powered vit b1 tablets,ph is between 5 - 6..after boiling I added 1 fl oz hydrogen peroxide..and let boil for another 2 minutes.stirring all the while..fill about one inch in each container..all glass but some are old coffee jars,pickle jar and some canning jars..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 2woodensticks For This Useful Post:
catasetum-ian (08-09-2013), Catt Mandu (08-09-2013), orchids4me (08-09-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 07:41 PM

catasetum-ian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silje View Post
Completely off topic, but what kind of flower is that avatar of yours? It looks stunning!
the big one is Catasetum Chong Keng Yong and the smaller one is Catasetum denticulatum
The Following User Says Thank You to catasetum-ian For This Useful Post:
Silje (08-09-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 4,422 Times in 3,810 Posts
orchids4me is on a distinguished road
please keep us posted on their progress
congrats!!!
catasetum-ian likes this.

Daisy 2003 -2013
Life is too short.... Buy more orchids!!!!

Emmaye