Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Flasking and Seed Germination

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2008, 12:17 AM

plantsim is on a distinguished road
Where can one learn about cloning/tissue culture?

I want to have my own tissue culture lab one day. I've been reading anything and everything I can get my hands on, but I'm wondering if most people that do this have a college degree in something like biology, horticulture, chemistry, etc.

Is it too complicated to be self-taught?
Old 04-16-2008, 06:41 AM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tobi is just fantasticTobi is just fantasticTobi is just fantastic
Although I've never dabbled in this so far, you would need several types of lab equipment
such as a laminar flow safety cabinet hood (for decontamination), some type of sterilizer,
and other assorted equipment. I am hoping to work with someone after I retire next year
and watch and learn. I don't think it's so much the degree as learning from someone who
has done this many times. Good luck if you do attempt it.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:10 AM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,239 Times in 532 Posts
jerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond repute
I have seen courses offered on the technique costing $8-12,000. After that you will find it to be hard work to make a living doing it.

The owner of a lab here recently sold out complaining he worked way too much for a barely livable wage.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:16 AM

Greenhouse Gal is on a distinguished road
Hello plantsim,
This site: Kitchen Culture Kits - Intro Page, has lots of good information about doing tissue culture on a hobby scale so you can learn and see if this is really something for you before you get too deep in expense. If you buzz around the site there are LOTS of links to more information. Many of these people do not use a hood, but find other safe ways to make a sterile area. If you could find someone locally to learn from that would of course be good too. There is both a hobby and professional list that you can join relating to the site. I would find as many people as possible doing what you think you want to and ask a lot of questions about how they make it work as a business.